For those of you worried about college being difficult...

Onion

I am going to take the opportunity to rant here about how "higher education" costs keep going up and the quality of employee's they are spitting out keeps going down. No offense to those of you that are graduating or just graduated I am sure you are a fine individual. I am just getting frustrated seeing a kid graduate from college with a BS in network administration/engineering and can't even tell me how subnetting works or the basics behind why as techs we do the things we do and not just because a book tells us to.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I am going to take the opportunity to rant here about how "higher education" costs keep going up and the quality of employee's they are spitting out keeps going down. No offense to those of you that are graduating or just graduated I am sure you are a fine individual. I am just getting frustrated seeing a kid graduate from college with a BS in network administration/engineering and can't even tell me how subnetting works or the basics behind why as techs we do the things we do and not just because a book tells us to.

Pffft! You don't need to know any of that crap...that's what :google: is for! :teehee:

You know there is a reason the acroynm BS is popular for the bachelors degree.....:whistling:(no offense to y'all with bs degrees of course :teehee:)

There's a higher education bubble at the moment that has inflated the costs, and possibly the same thing that allows it to form and grow allows less qualified students to enter and get a degree. The higher tuition goes the more student loans pay for, but this system does not then encourage a higher quality of education. Just more money for the university and the loaner. All because of the current idea that the only path to success is through a college degree. That allows there to always be an input of new students and loans, and because everyone has to be successful, the qualifications for entering a college are reduced or exceptions are made, to let people in that maybe shouldn't be. Or, perhaps more accurately, people are let in for the wrong thing. Doesn't help that right now we're also told that these majors are more profitable than those majors. Ironically though, with so many people graduating with higher education degrees, we're going to run out of those with technical training, like plumbers, electricians, carpenters, welders, etc. Sure, I can (or could, it's been awhile) figure out the Hall effect for a piece of wire, but I couldn't tell you the right wire to use when building or remodeling a house.

Well that's my rant for the day.

Oh, SpeedCrazy, I'm not offended. After all, despite my Bachelors of Science in Mathematics, the only success I've really had since graduating has been with my writing skills :lol: It's less the degree than what the person is naturally good at, interested in, and who the person knows that's willing to give them a chance.

Couldn't get into UF? :teehee:

I find very few of my classes to be challenging on their own. However when it's crunch time the load balancing between all of my classes becomes... difficult :doh:

Edited by ekiM

I am just getting frustrated seeing a kid graduate from college with a BS in network administration/engineering and can't even tell me how subnetting works or the basics behind why as techs we do the things we do and not just because a book tells us to.

The IT program at UCF is lacking in practical knowledge. It's really because the directors or whoever is in charge doesn't like the idea of certs and hands-on classes. There is only one system admin, database, and network lab course. All really intro and not in-depth. It's in a pretty sad state. They are planning to revamp it all in 2014-2015, but I'll be long gone by then.

System Admin would have been a useful class, but it got screwed due to the lack of time. We barely managed to covered VM, Active Directory, scripting, automated scheduling, and etc. The database course used Microsoft Access. Our hands on networking lab consisted of making ethernet cables, routing cables from punch-down to terminal boxes at stations, changing IPs on PC/Mac, and logging into a router to change some basic information. It wasn't in-depth at all. Mostly a waste of time really. It really comes down to the student themselves to learn it on their own, the courses don't help at all in practical knowledge department its mostly concepts and theory.

The only practical courses I took were the programming ones. Things like making fuzzers, multi-thread programming, socket programming, html/Apache/database inter-connectivity, and such. But honestly, that's not what I would want to do for a living.

Then there is my minor Secure Computing and Networks. Another joke.

All the courses were this is a virus or here is an algorithm for such and such encryption go program it or make a program to decode it. Zero practical information other than fuzzers and the occasional research paper. It was all concepts and theory sadly. Currently taking CNT 4704: Analysis of Computer Communication Networks and it might be an interesting one. Its more on network programming and traffic monitoring.

Edited by AZNguyen

You know there is a reason the acroynm BS is popular for the bachelors degree.....:whistling:(no offense to y'all with bs degrees of course :teehee:)

We know...

Its bull shit, more shit, and piled higher and deeper.

There is a system...

What about MD and BA?

More Dung? Back Again?

In all seriousness, i completely agree with what you were saying about technical skills. We are taught to value all the higher education and stuff with the intent of making life better, but when everyone is building our internet enabled cities and such who is going to be repairing your plumbing? Or putting the roof on your house? Heck whos gonna build your house, there will be an architect for every room but no one to actually put hammer to nail and build the thing.

EDIT: Missed blues response

Edited by SpeedCrazy

This is one of the reasons that I'm so happy RIT requires five quarters worth of co-ops for the engineering program. I was able to graduate with a degree and had nearly two years of work experience relevant to my major. The work I did at the second company I co-oped at helped me to get the job I am in now.

I've had plenty of experience without a forced co-op program...but the co-op program was really awesome here at Clemson -- know quite a few people that went that route.

A lot depends on what you as a student want to do. I worked internships every summer and gained a lot from that.