asus nexus 7

rieds

If you don't need all the features on Nexus 7, Kindle Fire is a cheaper option. I see them on Craigslist for like $80-100. You can root the Kindle Fire, install custom roms, and Google Play store and Amazon App store.

I own a Kindle Fire right now and pretty much carry it wherever I go. Running it with a custom CM10 rom. For the most part it works exactly like you would expect it to. I'm waiting for Kindle Fire 2 and Microsoft Surface (not a 7" tablet) before I upgrade.

Edited by AZNguyen

well the thing i'll use it for more than anything will surprise you. i love to bet the ponies and i can download a much better program for my local tracks off the internet for 1.50 than the one i gotta give 2.50 for at the track. i have a 16" laptop but its a pain in the butt to carry it up to the wager machines and i gotta run it in power saver mode to get the battery to last long enough for 8,9 races and its a classy lady to read the screen outside when its that dim.

Rooting a device gives you root/superuser access. It would let you do things you normally couldn't do without it. Such as installing custom roms. The Kindle Fire comes with Amazon's Android OS that is built around their needs. You can install a regular tablet/smartphone OS and change it to how you want.

ROM in terms of Android devices just means a Android OS usually modified by a third party.

Edited by AZNguyen

Battery life is pretty good..

Leaving idle with wifi on lasts about 3-4 days...

You can watch 2 movies with mo problem if they are stored internally and for me my brightness is set about 10%. So I can watch both of them on a full charge.

But if you watch the movie stored in an external USB stick and the second movie stored internally, you can only watch one movie and a half...

It's easy to root the nexus 7 using a tool called Wug tollkit (i think I named it correct).

For what you want to do, it should last about 10 - 12 hours as long as your application you describe is not graphic heavy...

You can get a Miko case for like approx $12 as well

I plan on getting the Nexus 7 but plan to wait to see if they release the rumored 10 inch version....

For now I'm rocking a 7 inch Zenithink ZT-282 C71 Upgrade with Android 4.0 and it does everything I need to...

how do you add more memory?

You can't.. First you would need to get an OTG cabel like this http://www.amazon.com/eForCity-Micro-USB-OTG-Adapter/dp/B005QX7KYU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1346950439&sr=8-1&keywords=B005QX7KYU (that is what I got)...

Than you can 32 gig USB stick, or attach sd card reader for additional memory..

You can get Nexus Media Importer to store or transfer stuff

The other way is.. you can root the nexus 7 with Wugfresh toolkit and with the OTG cable and USB stick you can use Stickmount (free only for rooted devices) to mount additional storage...

• Like 1