First attempt at "Bulldozer" Overclocking

DnaAngel

I have never Oc'd a Bulldozer before and have been anxious to do so. Before i go head long into this build I figured Id get some rough estimates at what Ghz i will hopefully be seeing?

Now I know no 2 chips are the same. This is for educated guesstimates from user experiences. im hoping.

Here what im looking at thus far

Thermaltake V4 or CM HAF 912

MSI 990FXA-GD80V2 ( yes i know there's better)

AMD FX 8120

CM Hyper 212 Evo ( going to use my trusty Arctic Silver 5)

2x4Gb Corsair Vengeance 1600mhz

MSi GTX 570

7200 RPM Sata 3 HDD

750w Thermaltake W0382RU

4x Slipstream 120mm's for case flow and 2x Ultra Kaze's for P/P on cooler

Ambient temp in room will be 25C. Obviously rig will be Air cooled.

I dont want to raise the Voltage too too much. As this will be a locked in 24/7 OC. will mainly be running gaming with new titles.

Edited by DnaAngel

• 3 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...

im running the same setup,  i can help.  but first i want to tell you on air you will NOT get 4.5 or 4.8.

im running the same board with the same cpu but cooling it i have the corsair h100i water cooler with 4 fan push pull system with 2 2500rpm sp series fans and 2 delta 5000k rpm high powered high performance fans. i had a bit of trouble with 2 replacement boards from msi,  the original purchase board i got was flawless until the biod utility wiped the bios out and i had to rma the board, since they sent me 2 rma'ss board and neither will run like the original board. on water i ran the 8120 at 5ghz and as high as 5.4ghz with very cool temps ranging from 18c to 26c idle and hit as high as 44c under full load. on air with the zalman cnp9900x extreeme air cooler i was able to overclock the board to 4.1ghz with temps at idle of 39c and underload 46c.  the board is limited on the cpu voltage at 1.4590v which really puts a damper on the whole overclocking experience.  first make sure all the power saving features in the bios are diabled (cooln quiet, c6 state) ect. if you dont plan on moving the fsb then the ram should be defaulted.  if you do then lower the memory ratio by one. so if you have 1866 put it to 1600 and as you raise the fsb it will bring the memory back up with headroom before it hits its 1866 clock again.  raise the cpu multiplier from 15.5 to 19x and the cpu voltage to 1.4000v anything higher on the multipiler needs to have the cpu voltage maxed out (i hate this feature cause in my case i need 1.55v) leave the nb voltage alone, sb, dram voltage ect. no need to touch it.  reboot and see if it boots up.  if it dont, go back in the bios and raise the cpu voltage by 1 increment at a time until it boots. now if you want a lil more out of it then start with the memory ratio like i was stating.  lower the memory by one say 1600 to 1333,  1866 to 1600, 2133 - 1866 put the cpu- nb ratio to 11x and the ht link to 10x and slowly start raising the fbs i would start out at 205 and after each boot raise it once more until it dont boot. then once it dont boot go in and raise the nb voltage to 1.125v and so on until it boots up. but as you do this keep your eye on the temps. the chips safely can idle at as high as 45c and no more than 55c underload.  good luck.  let me know how you make out.

The Hyper Evo you have just needs another Fan on there.  Try making one an intake and the other an intake.  OC, then benchmark.

Then try taking both fans and making them intakes.  OC, then benchmark.

I want to know what the OC and Benchmark is after.

Maybe, maybe 4.6 - 4.9

• 2 weeks later...