What I did today .......

Stonerboy779

Changed the transmission fluid, rear end oil, and engine oil in the vette. Also repaired the dash since the NM cold decided to make the aluminum trim rings around the gauges jump off into oblivion. :lol:

1524198_10101229256132778_995390758_o.jp

Finished a thorough mechanical inspection of the Nissan 300zx and it looks like ima have a new car soon the thing was in insanely good condition mechanically and the interior was perfect, just need to bring the exterior up to scratch.

My safety razor and all sorts of goodies came in the mail. I just had the best shave I've had in my entire life. 

6mvi8.jpg

Tell me, how did it compare to a disposable with multiple blades? I have only ever used those, or electric ones. And atleast in those categories the more blades the better the shave. I mean i know you said it was the best shave of your life but do you mean, ease, feel, closeness?

My safety razor and all sorts of goodies came in the mail. I just had the best shave I've had in my entire life. 

6mvi8.jpg

Tell me, how did it compare to a disposable with multiple blades? I have only ever used those, or electric ones. And atleast in those categories the more blades the better the shave. I mean i know you said it was the best shave of your life but do you mean, ease, feel, closeness?

I'm not the 1337 Onion fella but I switched to a DE safety razor similar to his a few years ago and I have never dreamed of going back since. 

It can take a little getting used to, he is using a two peice (my favorite) and I have to say they are my favorite. They jam up less than any other razor type (including disposables and mach 6 zero gravity science nonsense razors) and are quite quick for me to shave with. 

Double edged razors are known for being extremely comfortable to shave with. I get zero razor burn with a DE, I can't say that about my old Fusion. I don't care what anyone says, a single good blade gently over your skin is less irritating than multiple crappy ones. Even multiple good blades are bad, 5 times the blades equals 5 times the friction. 

The biggest thing is to find a blade that works for you. I have tried about 15 blade manufactures through sample packs and I settled on the mid priced Shark Super stainless, 100 blades for $10 shipped. A blade usually lasts me a week. Two years of shaving for $10, even longer if I grow out my beard.

I have a Lord Lp1822 which is identical to Onions razor, well at least the head design. $13 on amazon. Terrific started DE razor, I have another more expensive one piece butterfly head but I prefer the cheap Lord Razor still. My more expensive Parker  jams up too easily and is pretty agressive for my skin type. 

http://www.amazon.com/Premium-Safety-Razor-Model-LP1822L/dp/B004N77JVY/ref=sr_1_1?s=hpc&ie=UTF8&qid=1389847578&sr=1-1&keywords=lord+razor 

You can make your own lather with save soap and a bowl if you want, use canned shaving cream , I admit the Gillette cream word very well with DE razors but the lather in a bowl is more fun. I just use water though, it's cheaper and works fine for my skin type. 

Expect to re-learn to shave though, you need to work at it for the first few times getting the angle and pressure right for your face. After a couple weeks you will knock out your shave as fast as any other razor.

my front intake 120mm CM blue LED fan goes squeaking yesterday. take it out today for a re-lube....works like a charm for the second time around since what i did last year.

it's been running since december 2009, not bad after all :D 

6mvi8.jpg

I'm not the 1337 Onion fella but I switched to a DE safety razor similar to his a few years ago and I have never dreamed of going back since. 

It can take a little getting used to, he is using a two peice (my favorite) and I have to say they are my favorite. They jam up less than any other razor type (including disposables and mach 6 zero gravity science nonsense razors) and are quite quick for me to shave with. 

Double edged razors are known for being extremely comfortable to shave with. I get zero razor burn with a DE, I can't say that about my old Fusion. I don't care what anyone says, a single good blade gently over your skin is less irritating than multiple crappy ones. Even multiple good blades are bad, 5 times the blades equals 5 times the friction. 

The biggest thing is to find a blade that works for you. I have tried about 15 blade manufactures through sample packs and I settled on the mid priced Shark Super stainless, 100 blades for $10 shipped. A blade usually lasts me a week. Two years of shaving for $10, even longer if I grow out my beard.

I have a Lord Lp1822 which is identical to Onions razor, well at least the head design. $13 on amazon. Terrific started DE razor, I have another more expensive one piece butterfly head but I prefer the cheap Lord Razor still. My more expensive Parker  jams up too easily and is pretty agressive for my skin type. 

http://www.amazon.com/Premium-Safety-Razor-Model-LP1822L/dp/B004N77JVY/ref=sr_1_1?s=hpc&ie=UTF8&qid=1389847578&sr=1-1&keywords=lord+razor 

You can make your own lather with save soap and a bowl if you want, use canned shaving cream , I admit the Gillette cream word very well with DE razors but the lather in a bowl is more fun. I just use water though, it's cheaper and works fine for my skin type. 

Expect to re-learn to shave though, you need to work at it for the first few times getting the angle and pressure right for your face. After a couple weeks you will knock out your shave as fast as any other razor.

I'm actually using a three piece. The handle screws off, and then the top part splits in half, you slip in the blade, put the top part back together, and screw the handle back on. 

He's right about the burn, too. I would sometimes get burn with my 5 blade disposable, and I haven't had any issue with my double edge.

I've had some pretty good luck, my razor came with 5 Derby blades and they seem to work pretty well for me. I might try a sampler pack, just to see if anything is better for me, but Derbys are good.

My razor is an Edwin Jagger DE89, so it isn't that similar, its a three piece (you mentioned yours is a two). Here's a link. 

http://www.amazon.com/Edwin-Jagger-De89lbl-Double-Safety/dp/B002RBF1PO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1389884025&sr=8-1&keywords=edwin+jagger+de89

Water with a DE? I'd peel my face off. :lol: I've done it a few times with my 5 blade, and I would get bad razor burn. 

110% true about relearning how to shave, its entirely different from everything you know, be prepared for that. 

6mvi8.jpg

I've been using the Schick Hydro 5 (which is a 5 blade) razor for about a year and a half. About 6 months ago, I switched to a Panasonic electric, and its nice because of how practical it is, but it doesn't give a close shave like a real razor does. From there, I went to the DE, which is a completely different world. Even though my skin (which is sensitive to start with) hasn't been shaved with an actual blade in over 6 months, it reacted just fine. I did two passes with some crappy soap (the good stuff I bought didn't come in the mail yet) and I had no rash, no burn, nothing. Just a tiny nick that didn't even bleed on the second pass. 

Its completely different from shaving with a multi blade disposable. You need to be very careful not to apply any pressure, otherwise you will cut yourself. Just the weight of the razor is enough to cut the hair. It also makes a big difference if you take a hot shower before shaving and let the water run on your face, you get a better lather, your whiskers are softer, and your skin will be well hydrated for the shave. 

It seems pretty daunting at first, but it really wasn't so bad. Just be sure to watch a couple youtube videos about how to do it properly and you'll have no issues at all. This kind of shaving really turned a chore into something enjoyable. The warm water, the warm lather, the boar brush, and the smoothness after the shave all felt really nice, and felt really similar to getting a straight razor shave at the barber. 

I'm actually using a three piece. The handle screws off, and then the top part splits in half, you slip in the blade, put the top part back together, and screw the handle back on. 

He's right about the burn, too. I would sometimes get burn with my 5 blade disposable, and I haven't had any issue with my double edge.

I've had some pretty good luck, my razor came with 5 Derby blades and they seem to work pretty well for me. I might try a sampler pack, just to see if anything is better for me, but Derbys are good.

My razor is an Edwin Jagger DE89, so it isn't that similar, its a three piece (you mentioned yours is a two). Here's a link. 

http://www.amazon.com/Edwin-Jagger-De89lbl-Double-Safety/dp/B002RBF1PO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1389884025&sr=8-1&keywords=edwin+jagger+de89

Water with a DE? I'd peel my face off. :lol: I've done it a few times with my 5 blade, and I would get bad razor burn. 

110% true about relearning how to shave, its entirely different from everything you know, be prepared for that. 

I had sort of a brain fart I guess, my Lord is indeed a three piece based on the Merkur design. 

Yours appears head wise to be very similar. Yours may have a slightly more aggressive angle though and for sure has a heavier handle. My Parker 99R Ultra heavy weight is nice to look as but I like the three piece with the longer handle and less aggressive angle. I may just have to commit to the Parker and get used to it though.

For your blades, seriously shop around when you run out, at that point you will have enough shaves to judge a razor. I thought my first set was good too. Derby, Shark, Astra, Feather and even Gillette make good DE blades and more. Derby for me are decent, I just don't get a quick shave with them. Astra's are very nice for me, and Feather blades are far too sharp. Gillette are ok to good depending on the model. Bics are surprisingly good, just not very long lasting. WIlkensen are average and I think Bluebirds suck. 

I like sharp Super Platinums the best but they were unavailable when I ordered. I think all the Shark and Lord razors (same company) make very good blades from what I have tried. 

For my water shave I take a shower, moisten my face, dry myself, moisten my face again and then just shave away. No soap, no prep, no after shave, no burn, no blood. I don't have the thickest beard but I can grow some decent face fur, it's not peach fuzz for sure. I apply mild pressure and do LONG strokes compared to most people with DE razors. I wouldn't recommend any part of my shaving style to most people but for me it works well. If I have the time I will grab my bowl and brush and do it right.