Phenom 9500 downclocking under load

billt79

Hi,

Yesterday I decided to see what kind of load my system went under when it played Just Cause 2. The specs are Phenom 9500 AMD Radeon HD 6850 Asus m2n68 am se2 Corsair TX650 and an Arctic Cooling freezer pro 7. So i put in a dual monitor with cpu z core temp and msi afterburner running to check the load. Anyway as soon as the game started loading the cpu up the clock rate dropped down from my overclocked 2.4ghz to 1.2ghz. i have got cool n quiet off in the bios, the multiplyer is manually set to 11x in the bios, as core temp and cpu z showed it to be 5.5x. i have tried chipset drivers and a bios update but none worked, so i booted my linux install and stressed it and clock rates remained at 2.4ghz, temps getting to about 60 degrees celcius. Any help with this problem would be greatly appreciated. i will put some screen shots of cpu z and core temp up later.

Sounds like the cpu is throttling down, check the bios and see if there is an option to turn off cpu throttling.

also make sure windows power options are set to high performance.

Edited by SpikeSoprano

Sounds like the cpu is throttling down, check the bios and see if there is an option to turn off cpu throttling.

also make sure windows power options are set to high performance.

The CPU throttles for a reason, usually temperature, to avoid damage to the chip.

Before doing as Spike suggested, try removing the case cover and using a can of compressed air to blow out any dust that could have accumulated in the case.

The bios is very basic and offers only one option which would throttle the cpu is cool n quiet however it is disabled, unless the smart Q fan function is able to throttle the cpu, however this is odd because under load the cpu should clock up. Also windows does not offer a high performance option, just a balanced but core temp and cpu z indicate full clock speed until it gets stressed. also the computer is open bench at the moment as i cannot afford a case and is free of dust and has recently had a thermal paste change (Arctic mx 4). Under linux with a stress test the cpu at full clock speed (identified as 2397MHz from /proc/cpuinfo) doesn't go above 55 degrees Celsius which should be well within the operating range of this chip.

Edited by billt79

The bios is very basic and offers only one option which would throttle the cpu is cool n quiet however it is disabled, unless the smart Q fan function is able to throttle the cpu, however this is odd because under load the cpu should clock up. Also windows does not offer a high performance option, just a balanced but core temp and cpu z indicate full clock speed until it gets stressed. also the computer is open bench at the moment as i cannot afford a case and is free of dust and has recently had a thermal paste change (Arctic mx 4). Under linux with a stress test the cpu at full clock speed (identified as 2397MHz from /proc/cpuinfo) doesn't go above 55 degrees Celsius which should be well within the operating range of this chip.

High performance power option should be under;

Start > Control Panel > Hardware and Sound > Power Options > Show additional plans > High performance

Q-Fan Smart Cooling System can adjust the fan speed, if you disable it, it will force the fan to run at 100% at all times. Perhaps try disabling it and see if it resolves the issue, the fan controller may not be detecting the higher CPU temperatures...

Disabling Q fan doesn't do help and the windows high performance power plan didn't do much either, however while stressing it i did notice that the cpu speed was fluctuating from 1.2ghz to 2.4. Cool n Quiet doesn't help either so thats staying disabled. Under Debian linux the cpu speed stays at 2.4ghz under load and doesn't exceed 54 degrees C, so the temps are fine, which indicates its something in windows, and i have also tried chipset drivers but that was to no avail either :(

I shall run that, and see what it shows however under linux i was monitoring cpu speed and vcore. The clock speed stayed put however the Vcore didnt and thats probably down to the crappy vrms on the board, but we will find out what OCCT says

Update: OCCT's graph of temperature quite clearly showed that as soon as the cpu temperature reaches 41 degrees it throttles. However this seems be be a windows specific problem because running similar stuff under linux shows a stable temperature and clock rate under full load.

Edited by billt79

If you back up your OC BIOS profile and then reset the BIOS by unplugging the system, and removing the battery from the motherboard for 20-30 seconds, putting it back, then try running OCCT on the system with the default BIOS profile.

See if the CPU temp exceeds the value it throttled at with the OC profile, if it does, try to replicate your old OC profile on the fresh BIOS, and see if it prevents the issue :)

If you back up your OC BIOS profile and then reset the BIOS by unplugging the system, and removing the battery from the motherboard for 20-30 seconds, putting it back, then try running OCCT on the system with the default BIOS profile.

See if the CPU temp exceeds the value it throttled at with the OC profile, if it does, try to replicate your old OC profile on the fresh BIOS, and see if it prevents the issue :)

One step ahead, did that this morning and ran occt on it again but still clocked down at 41 degrees.however if it was the bios then surely it would also affect my Debian install? which runs fine at 2.4ghz under load. Etiher way this motherboard is going to have to go soon anyway or when I can afford to due its crappyness. But it would be nice if it worked in the mean time because it will be a while before i can afford a new board

Also worth noting is that windows isn't reading the thermal max correct as it is reported as 115 degrees Celsius, where as it should be 70 degrees.

Edited by billt79