I just built a new PC with the following configuration:

Processor: Intel Pentium G630 Sandy bridge

Motherboard: Asus P8B75-V

Graphics card: Sapphire Radeon HD7750

RAM: 12 GB

HDD: 1 TB Western Digital Green Caviar

Optical Drive: Asus 24X DVDRW

PSU: 450W iball

My motherboard has a 8 pin ATX power connector as shown in the attachment and my PSU has a 4 pin power connector as attached. As per my motherboard guide it said, i could connect the 4 pin connector from my PSU to one of the four pins out of the 8 pins in my motherboard. I am worried if its going to cause any harm to my system or if i should buy a PSU with an 8 pin connector ONLY. Please advice.

post-88240-0-82116000-1345969781_thumb.jpg

post-88240-0-26732300-1345969811_thumb.jpg

Edited by cyborg

Hi,

I just built a new PC with the following configuration:

Processor: Intel Pentium G630 Sandy bridge

Motherboard: Asus P8B75-V

Graphics card: Sapphire Radeon HD7750

RAM: 12 GB

HDD: 1 TB Western Digital Green Caviar

Optical Drive: Asus 24X DVDRW

PSU: 450W iball

My motherboard has a 8 pin ATX power connector as shown in the attachment and my PSU has a 4 pin power connector as attached. As per my motherboard guide it said, i could connect the 4 pin connector from my PSU to one of the four pins out of the 8 pins in my motherboard. I am worried if its going to cause any harm to my system or if i should buy a PSU with an 8 pin connector ONLY. Please advice.

Please note that the pictures are not exactly from my PSU and motherboard. The 4 pin wires from my PSU are two black and two yellow in color.

The 8 pin connector is for high power CPUs. With a pentium g630 it will not be an issue to use the 4 pin.

I have a i7 3770 running off a single 4 pin on my small form factor motherboard, you only really need 8 pin for overclocking or 6 core cpus

I agree 100% with Muchoman, the 4 pin will work fine with that cpu as it dose not need a lot of power.

Make sure the connector you use has the 2 yellow and 2 black wires, not the one that is for the 24 pin main mb connector.

Edited by SpikeSoprano

you need PSU with 6+2 pin PCI Express power cable..

No!

His psu is fine...especially with that CPU.

you need PSU with 6+2 pin PCI Express power cable..

Absolutely not.

8 pin ATX power connector and 8 pin pci-e correctors are different and shound't be used the way you have suggested.

@OP: just attach that 4 pin connector in that 8 pin plug. As you are using G630, it won't create any problem at all.