Apple gets 1.051 Billion from Samsung

IVIYTH0S

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Apple. Go die in a fire. They'll do everything they can to screw over their competitors. They could just design a proper phone instead of trying to file lawsuits... Samsung should do the same to Apple, give them a taste of their own medicine.

The jury found some Samsung phones infringed Apple design patents but said the Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 did not infringe Apple design. The patents the jury found Samsung violated included those for the "bounce back," scroll, zoom and navigate features. The verdict came after just three days of deliberation, court officials told reporters on Friday, reaching a decision faster than expected.

So controls and functions that are pretty much universal across all smartphones are enough to net apple $1.051billion and bans on Samsung products....

Can someone tell me why Samsung would keep dealing with and supplying to Apple?

This jury must of been ridiculously biased towards Apple because that ruling is utter bullshit and so very anti-competitive. I really hope that we find out in a week or two that the entire jury was bought off with new macbooks and ipads.

I found a small measure of happiness the other day when I read that in South Korea a ban was placed on some Apple products (old gen stuff) and Samsung was awarded $35K but also had a ban placed on some of its products. Thats a much better ruling than awarding stupid amounts of money and completely ruling in the favor of one company.

Sad thing is with this loss I don't what is stopping Apple from going after nearly every other smartphone out there that has these same navigation, scroll and "bounce back" features. I truely feel sorry for you americans that have to deal with such retarded copyright laws.

Edit: from engadget

the jury's decision is that Samsung did infringe on Apple's '381 bounceback patent with all 21 of its products in question. For the '915 patent on pinch-and-zoom, the jury ruled all but three of the devices listed infringed

Edited by Stonerboy779

I don't see why such a highly technical (in the legal sense) case comes down to a jury of nine. They will not understand copyright law and will just vote for whoever makes the most convincing argument, or whichever brand they have in their pocket!

Perhaps this is just financially the lesser of two evils for Samsung, compared to pulling the plug on Apple's supply chain. It would give Apple the message but as Samsung ultimately exists to generate a profit, it conflicts with their basic objective.

No worries, Google finally decided to bite back after acquiring Motorola(and its thousands of patents!), so it's Game On for Apple now :).

They only bought Moto for the Patents, and they have more power and financial backing then Motorola could have dreamed of to protect them.

http://www.androidpit.com/google-vs-apple-android

Edited by Puck

indeed it is...exactly why I dont own nor use any Apple products..............

Anyone want to buy a 32gb ipad 2 cheap? Its got a crack in the screen but is fully functional. I no longer will use it. Gonna buy a Galaxy tab just for spite

Its a sad day for technology and innovation

Innovation and Apple haven't coexisted in the same sentence for a while now imo. I mean sure, Apple has done a lot of good things in the past, but now it's all about how much money and **** can be flung at whatever the execs don't like.

Stupid jury, they likely based it on "Hey, my iPhone has that! Samsung has to be wrong."

I'd say boycott Apple, but everyone is too stupid to see what will happen when Apple is finished with the industry. Why have competition anyways? It's bad for profits. And who really wants to spend money on R&D? Just destroy the competition so your stale product can provide the monopoly on the market.

Pinch to zoom is so obvious. I'm a bit iffy on the bounce-at-edge thing, but I've never really had a need for it anyway. I wonder what shapes the next tablets will have to be now that Apple owns the rectangle. Hmm, doesn't this look like an iPad?

plasma-tv-grid-on-the-screen-small-90797.jpg

Year 2005 Samsung TV

Oh well, we won't know the extent of the damages until later. The 1.051B doesn't mean ., it's the fact that Apple was proven "right."