Sapphire HD 7970 Vapor-X GHz Edition Review

bp9801

We have a new AMD card on the test bench for you, this time a Sapphire card. See how well it performs in the OCC review of the Sapphire HD 7970 Vapor-X GHz Edition - http://www.overclockersclub.com/reviews/sapphire_hd7970_vaporx_ghz/

When you look at the price tag why is it so out of line when the majority of non reference non GHZ edition cards are in the same range. Until AMD drops the price on the 7970 that is what it is going to cost for a non reference card. I'm sorry you cannot see the value there.

The 7950 has always been right on the heels of the 7970 in benchmarks from day one so no real surprise there. The core architecture is going to do all it is capable of and not all cores will deliver higher clock speeds. This card delivers the third highest clock speeds of all the HD 7970's I have looked at. 1 of them a better core and one water cooled with a better binned core. If the 7950 price drop had not happened we would still have a $60 difference between cards. At what point does this card not deliver on the competitive pricing. In relation to the TOXIC at $200 more its a value over a reference card. I would buy a non reference card any day of the week over the reference design just on cooling and build specs and pay more for it. Expecting more than what it has to offer is like expecting to find the gold at the end of the rainbow There is no magic bullet to get to long term higher clock speeds.

7970.png

It's the 7970 in general (for overclockers), I just don't see a reason in any benchmark that it'd be worth spending the extra over a 7950, where the 7970 excels, the 7950 excels.

Where do you get $60 difference before the price drop though?? It'd still be a $100+ difference, though this is truthfully on the assumption that the 950mhz 7950 from Sapphire was $350 like nearly all the other souped up 7950s were

Why are you using the AMD Catalyst 12.4 driver?

After 12.7, AMD gained the upper hand in Dirt 3, 7970 stock vs 680 stock. This is just an example. Many other games improved in performance too. Metro 2033 was never Nvidia's strong forte vs 7970...how come a stock 680 got higher FPS than a 1200MHz 7970 Ghz Edition Vapor-X?

Please use the latest drivers when doing a review of a card released just recently.

Please use the latest drivers when doing a review of a card released just recently.

Sorry, but when the drivers don't work properly we use whats stable not what the latest is. We are sick and tired of spending on hours restarting due to driver crashes in games. New Policy is if it doesn't work after three tries the benchmark will get a zero.