CM 690 Airflow Setup

satuesde

Hi,

I need some feedback for the airflow setup on CM 690 case.

I've just recently built an ivy bridge system and it's been working great.

I wanted to enhance the airflow on my system since my Windforce 670 blows the heat inside the case so my CPU cooler doesn't have fresh air to cool my CPU.

I have made some drafts, please do comment or suggest!!!

Personally I prefer with Option 2 on the image below but I'm not too sure.

airflow.jpg

Note :

Blue - intake

Red - exhaust

Square near VGA is fan on side panel window

Good drawings. I've thought of the same issues with cases with 4 or more HDDs in the 'chin' area.

I've considered reversing the traditional back-of-case exhaust fan and having that blow directly into the CPU and RAM area - that would be the coolest air coming from the closest, most direct route.

Then, removing the back-most top "exhaust" fan and having that open - no fan. But that inner 'exhaust' fan would be exhaust.

But would a lower-speed 'exhaust' in that location be better, or a higher-speed?

The creation of turbulance is pretty useful - air-flow is going to occur anyway, and it will establish a pattern - including unmoving 'eddys' at times. Having some conflicts in air-flow might create enough changing turbulances so those dead-zone 'eddys' can't last too long.

Still, cases aren't airtight. I think the hottest elements - CPU, RAM, GPU and HDDs - should be getting the most direct and coolest air possible.

Edited by ChristineBCW

Good drawings. I've thought of the same issues with cases with 4 or more HDDs in the 'chin' area.

I've considered reversing the traditional back-of-case exhaust fan and having that blow directly into the CPU and RAM area - that would be the coolest air coming from the closest, most direct route.

Then, removing the back-most top "exhaust" fan and having that open - no fan. But that inner 'exhaust' fan would be exhaust.

But would a lower-speed 'exhaust' in that location be better, or a higher-speed?

If I reverse the back case exhaust fan the airflow will be the opposite direction with flow from the CPU cooler in my case..

Wouldn't switching inner top fan as an intake would be better since on most MB the ram is located on the right hand side of the CPU?

I'm not able to see the pic at work but the way I have my 690 is the tops are exhausts, back and front are intakes and I have an intake on the side as well.

Yup that's the way it supposed to be, but my windforce 670 blows the heat inside the case that force me to switch the side fan to exhaust so it will directly blows the heat out from the case. But by doing this, there is lack of airflow in my upper side of the case. Hmmm....

You'd probably get better results leaving it as an intake. Both of my cards don't exhaust out the back either but blowing air over them keeps it moving better than trying to suck the hot air out.

edit: and actually I was wrong. My back fan is an exhaust. I have it setup like yours with two cpu fans blowing back and then out the back exhaust.

Edited by Coors

You'd probably get better results leaving it as an intake. Both of my cards don't exhaust out the back either but blowing air over them keeps it moving better than trying to suck the hot air out.

edit: and actually I was wrong. My back fan is an exhaust. I have it setup like yours with two cpu fans blowing back and then out the back exhaust.

But with this setup I have some strange issue.

My i7 3770k (stock) run between 60 C - mid 60s C on 100% load Prime95 Test with GPU idle.

But when I start playing games that put a load on GPU, my CPU temp hits 60++ C even though it doesn't use up all 100% load.

My guess maybe it's because the heat from GPU that makes the temp inside the case warmer, that's why I want to switch the side window fan as an exhaust..

Of course, I'd reverse the CPU fans, too, if I was going to reverse the traditional back-exhaust. The effect of blowing cold air on your face is much more profound than standing behind a fan and letting it 'suck' the hot air away from your face.

Fortunately, you can try it all ways.

And, negative air-pressure setup inside a chassis is not a good idea IMO, specially when CPU is air cooled.

Actually negetive air pressure tends to have better cooling the only problem is that it gets dustier quicker

Actually negetive air pressure tends to have better cooling the only problem is that it gets dustier quicker

Ok. I thought that negative air pressure creates problem in CPU air cooling by creating the comparatively low pressure and thus presence of air. :dunno:

Not it looks like my assumption was wrong.