CM HAF X

Intel E8400 Core 2 Duo 3.0 Ghz "Cooling (Noctura DH-14)"

8gb Hyper X

Nvidia GTX560 SC

WD Caviar Black 1.5TB

Asus P5ND MB

Corsair AX850

HighCPUUsage.png[/img]

When I play BF3 I've notcied that the CPU is running at 99%-100% usage. I used Process Explorer and BF3 is using 1,359,704. I am also running teamspeak 3 at the same time but it dosen't seem to have any effect. I noticed there were several svchost.exe instances running but they all seemed to link to normal processes. Question 1. Is my CPU just too old to handle BF3 at High Settings. I've turned the settings down some but that didn't make a difference in CPU usage. If my CPU and graphics card should be able to handle BF3 does anyone have any thoughts about what could be causing the high cpu usage. I'm attached a jpeg of the process explorer ss that I took.

Edited by NoobModder

BF3 supports multicored CPU's and older dual cores will see probably see max CPU usage due to the older tech and limit of your system.

If it's worrying you and causing performance issues, I'd suggest either overclocking or upgrading to a better CPU; quad core preferably.

BF3 supports multicored CPU's and older dual cores will see probably see max CPU usage due to the older tech and limit of your system.

If it's worrying you and causing performance issues, I'd suggest either overclocking or upgrading to a better CPU; quad core preferably.

Thank you for your reply. I am planning on upgrading within the next 3 months to a Asus Sabertooth Z77 or an Asrock z77 motherboard and a I5 2500K. I basically wanted to make sure its just that my cpu is older and not that I had rouge malware causing the cpu usage.

Thank you for your reply. I am planning on upgrading within the next 3 months to a Asus Sabertooth Z77 or an Asrock z77 motherboard and a I5 2500K. I basically wanted to make sure its just that my cpu is older and not that I had rouge malware causing the cpu usage.

thumbsup3.gif Nice, yeah BF3 is a CPU hog with older dual core's and some quad core's. A 2500K is an excellent choice for the future! Try doing a virus scan with *Malwarebytes if you still feel worried.. ya never know. smile.gif

Edited by MJCRO

• 2 weeks later...

Just to be safe, scan your whole PC once with any good antivirus.

This is what I plan on ordering in the next day or so. Any changes or suggestions.

I5 2500k

ASRock Z77 Extreme4 LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

CORSAIR Vengeance 16GB (4 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model CML16GX3M4A1600C9B

if it only happens when you play that one game it means your processor is inadequate and is being pushed to max

if it happens when you also watch videos and such it means you have a codec conflict or something else

if your processor is not overclocked i can guarantee your old 2 core is far inadequate

people who uses e8400s usually overclock

I seriously doubt it is a virus

I recommend getting the ASUS Z77 Sabertooth over the Asrock but thats just me =P

16gbs of ram huh? you'll never max out the usage on those sticks XD

I have around 100+ tabs in Google chrome, 10 in firefox, teamspeak, raidcall, photoshop, numerous back ground programs open all the time. I don't close anything when I turn on BF3 or GW2 and I even record with fraps/playclaw at times. I still never come close to using all 16gbs of ram, the closest I've come to is 83% usage XD

I know 16gb is overkill which In the end I will probably go with 8gb. I was just thinking if I run vms eventually it might come in handy. I've run a comparison on the sabertooth and the asrock but I still can't decide. Give me ure point of view of why u would go with the sabertooth over the asrock. Also would my noctua d14 fit ok with the thermal armor.

Hmm the d14 should fit but I'm not sure. I'd choose ASUS over Asrock because I just saw a thread not to long ago with a complaint about the Asrock Z77.

Personally own a ASUS P67 Sabertooth and the thermal armor on it covers a little bit more than the Z77's and I've seen D14's on the P67 Sabertooth so my guess is it'll fit with no issues. I like ASUS products what can I say? Warranty is nice too.

Asrock use to be owned by ASUS at one point, they made cheaper budget items but they have since broke off from ASUS and started their own thing.

Edited by My_Inner_Fred

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157295

Just FYI, newegg is having a sale where if you buy a particular Asrock mobo, you get a free 60GB agility 3 SSD. The asrock extreme 6 is a very nice mobo, with a very good value price tag after you factor in the SSD. I would also think about switching your CPU to the i5 3570K, and keeping your ram down to 8GB. I am not entirely sure what VMS is, but the chances of it taking 8GB of memory is slim at best. Plus, Ram will always be cheaper down the road, so it is better to get more ram later, at a cheaper price, and when you need it vs buying more than what you need and possibly wasting money.