i7 950 hitting 94° celsius (200° farenheit) at stock WITH WATERCOOLE

Hi forum, I am in a bit of a dellema at the moment. I purchased an i7 950 (3.07ghz) last year thinking I could do a small overclock with stock cooler, maybe 3.4ghz, but turns out the chip couldnt even handle Prime95 at STOCK 3ghz, within a matter of seconds (maybe 5) the temperature would sore to 90 degrees celsius and I would stop the test immediately. I tried reseating the cooler 2 times and no change, luckily the chip ran ok while gaming, probably about 80 degrees under load. Still I really wanted to overclock so recently I invested in a corsair h100 watercooler, I read reviews extensively and this cooler is supposed to be on par or even better than the very best noctua air coolers. So I just ran the prime95 stress test, it is a cold winters day here in Australia and I have all fans going max (240mm front intake, 120mm bottom intake, 120mm rear exhaust, 2x120mm side intake, 120mm top exhaust (inside), 240mm top exhaust (outside), the cpu is idling at 47 degrees and within 5 seconds of starting prime95 core 0 reaches 94 degrees celsius (200 farenheit) with the other cores roughly the same temperature.

I know this cooler is seated properly, there is no movement at all.. I am using realtemp to monitor, but I have also checked idle temps in bios and they correlate. Does this mean my CPU is damaged? or motherboard? I never get BSOD and I never get throttling/restarting from overheating when I play games.. perhaps the sensors are not reporting accurately? Realy need some advice on this one, thanks to anyone who can help.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

how will it know? I havent got the pump plugged into anything, I think corsair sell a "digitial link" seperately for monitoring.. I will download HW and see anyway

The pump is meant to plug into the CPU fan header on the motherboard, HWmonitor can read the RPM of the CPU fan header

It has a molex aswell, should I have BOTH plugged in, or just into the fan header?

The molex gets plugged in for power, the fan header for pump RPM monitoring.

If you're running without the pump running I'm surprised it hasn't melted by now...

It has a molex aswell, should I have BOTH plugged in, or just into the fan header?

my bad, the last watercooler of that type i used was the h70, and that only had a 3pin for the mobo.

Yes, plug in the molex and the 3 pin