Favorite Handgun Manufacturer

InCrYsIs

Favorite Handgun Manufacturer  

18 members have voted

1. 1. What is Your Favorite Hand Gun Manufacturer(s)?

Just curious, where did you go to receive the training? Was it something run by a local gun club or a government/municipal sponsored thing?

I went through a licensed gun store. He is a professional trainer and ex-military. Knows all the ins and outs of the laws. Also taught us self defense. It wasn't even expensive. It was 50 bucks for basic and 50 for advanced. We would even go out to the desert and setup a mini course. I'm glad I did it all because I started out with a pretty big eye dominance problem he helped me out with.

And these classes were above and beyond the standard CCW class and training. Most of that was laws and self defense. Also watching videos and what not.

Edited by InCrYsIs

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I went through a licensed gun store. He is a professional trainer and ex-military. Knows all the ins and outs of the laws. Also taught us self defense. It wasn't even expensive. It was 50 bucks for basic and 50 for advanced. We would even go out to the desert and setup a mini course. I'm glad I did it all because I started out with a pretty big eye dominance problem he helped me out with.

And these classes were above and beyond the standard CCW class and training. Most of that was laws and self defense. Also watching videos and what not.

ok, that's neat

Ruger, mainly because of dependability and experience. My main handgun purchases have always been Ruger dating back to the early 80s. My first Ruger was a MKII .22 caliber bull barrel, followed by the tapered barrel. Still have both of those pistols to this day :)

Ruger, mainly because of dependability and experience. My main handgun purchases have always been Ruger dating back to the early 80s. My first Ruger was a MKII .22 caliber bull barrel, followed by the tapered barrel. Still have both of those pistols to this day :)

I have a Ruger P95DPR 9mm. It's a nice gun. I have it on my carry license but I don't carry 9mm typically. I like the stopping power of the .40cal. I work for a well known research institute near the college campus but the area isn't very nice.

Edited by InCrYsIs

Hey Wevs too bad you're so far away, I'd love to try your .22 as a candidate as a first pistol for me. Those Rugers look so cool haha

See here:

Gun owners are people too, there are many many gun owners who would happily explain to you (assuming you're willing to listen and be civil in discussions) the proper way to handle a firearm and I would be surprised if after a short explanation that you are told to just go for it.
Do this, the worst that can happen is that they say no.

:dunno:

See here:

Do this, the worst that can happen is that they say no.

:dunno:

Yeah, I'll have to see where ranges are around here. Luckily I'm like 10 minutes from PA, as I'd probably have better luck look for places there then gun-control happy NJ :lol:

IVI - I"m about 100% certain you wouldn't have any problem finding a sportsman or other gun lover to give you some instruction and let you plink with one of their pistols or rifles. For many of us gun ownership and the love of firearms goes back generations. And you'll find a fair share portion of folks that love to share that enthusiasm. Just like the group here at OCC loves to share knowledge about computers, electronics, audio, automobile etc. you'll find plenty of great gun owner communities out there as well. Google for local gun clubs, or even join one of the mfgs' forums and just hang out. Introduce yourself and make some new friends. Bet it won't be long until you run across someone who lives in your vicinity.

I'm actually doing something like that in a couple days. I was talking to a guy about a gun and he asks if I'd ever shot one, which I haven't. So he offers to let me go to the range with him. I've found that overall, gun owners are pretty friendly people (unless you're anti-gun).

What Wev and Flareback said. I wouldn't just go to a range though, (unless invited of course), a lot of places you pay by the hour and when people go they have a game plan and it's all business. A club or forum is a better starting place, or just start the conversation with people you talk with routinely, someone is sure to be able to help you hook up. I'm always happy to "talk guns" with people I meet.

Edited by Phil

Thanks for the tips, my dad has 2 maybe 3 guns (1 or 2 pistols and a rifle) so I may see if he'll go with me or knows some basic pointers. I know he's been itching to goto the range or wood, since it's been years and NJ sucks with owning them.