Is this MOBO worth the +70$

another question popped up on this build that i would like some imput on if i may...

Im not to informed when it comes to AMD chips ( i usually go for raw performance over budget). Im a little confused on what chip to use for this build the fx 6200 or the fx 8120? and if the 6200, whats the REAL difference between it and the 6100? i saw the 6200 is 125watt and the 6100 is 95watt..what does this mean to me? this build will mainly be doing gaming so please keep that in mind. the 6200 and 8120 are almost hte same price, so the logical side of me says go with 8120..but the sensible side of me says 6200 for the sheer clock speed diffrence? and to my knowledge 8 cores is pretty useless in games atm. so logivally am i jus better off with the 6200 atm?

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

another question popped up on this build that i would like some imput on if i may...

Im not to informed when it comes to AMD chips ( i usually go for raw performance over budget). Im a little confused on what chip to use for this build the fx 6200 or the fx 8120? and if the 6200, whats the REAL difference between it and the 6100? i saw the 6200 is 125watt and the 6100 is 95watt..what does this mean to me? this build will mainly be doing gaming so please keep that in mind. the 6200 and 8120 are almost hte same price, so the logical side of me says go with 8120..but the sensible side of me says 6200 for the sheer clock speed diffrence? and to my knowledge 8 cores is pretty useless in games atm. so logivally am i jus better off with the 6200 atm?

To answer your question, the 6200 is nothing more than a 6100 running at a little bit higher speed. The 8120 is what I would consider a decent gaming chip. I have been trying to find a review to link showing the difference in gaming performance between the AMD 6100 and the 8120 on BF3 (since it requires 4 cores) but no such luck, and even in the games they did compare the chips to, they got some very weird numbers. The common trend seems to be that you would see anywhere from 1 to 5 FPS lower on the 6100 than on the 8120, some games like dirt 3 would probably show a much larger discrepancy.

If I am correct then you don't even have a chip. If you need a chip AND a board, then it would probably be smarter of you to switch over to intel. Since the 8120 is 160 on newegg and you were looking for a sub 200 dollar board, then I could assume that you would have at the very lest 350 to spend if not more. You could easily get a i5 2500K and a asrock z77 extreme 4 mobo for 340.

If I am correct then you don't even have a chip. If you need a chip AND a board, then it would probably be smarter of you to switch over to intel. Since the 8120 is 160 on newegg and you were looking for a sub 200 dollar board, then I could assume that you would have at the very lest 350 to spend if not more. You could easily get a i5 2500K and a asrock z77 extreme 4 mobo for 340.

To quote the OP:

I was looking at building a Bulldozer build just for crap and giggles.

@OP: Honestly, if you're going for Bulldozer, get the FX8120/8150. In all honesty, you're better off with a Phenom II x6 than the FX6xx.. (CPU Performance wise)

To answer your question, the 6200 is nothing more than a 6100 running at a little bit higher speed. The 8120 is what I would consider a decent gaming chip. I have been trying to find a review to link showing the difference in gaming performance between the AMD 6100 and the 8120 on BF3 (since it requires 4 cores) but no such luck, and even in the games they did compare the chips to, they got some very weird numbers. The common trend seems to be that you would see anywhere from 1 to 5 FPS lower on the 6100 than on the 8120, some games like dirt 3 would probably show a much larger discrepancy.

Yea my overall budget for this Bulldozer build is 800$ including 2 day shipping but not including MIRs this is including

Cooler master HAF 912 or Thermaltake V4 (havent decided yet)

600 watt corsair builder series PSU

Msi MSI 990FXA-GD80V2 (may not be the best board, but with almost non existent bad reviews and a feature set im looking for. im digging this board)

AMD FX 8120

Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO

Evga gtx 480 (200$ right now..i cant pass that up)

2x4gb Corsair Vengance 1600 DDR3 ram

4x Sythe Slipstream 120mm fans as well as 2x sythe Ultra Kaze for push/pull on the EVO (not counted in 800$ budget bc i have boxes and boxes of these brand new)

R.A.T MMO 7 mouse

Razer BlackWIdow Ultimate mechanical keyboard w/cherry blues ( mouse and keyboard not counted in budget bc i have 12 of these keyboards and 6 more mmo7 mice)

I already have a 3rd gen i5 intel build as well as my main rig with a i7 2600k

To quote the OP:

@OP: Honestly, if you're going for Bulldozer, get the FX8120/8150. In all honesty, you're better off with a Phenom II x6 than the FX6xx.. (CPU Performance wise)

with that in mind then forget the 6200..thats sad that it wont out perform my AMD 1100t build? i called the bulldozer architecure to be a flop before its release..but im still curious on what it can do..hence the reason for this build.

Whats a good power supply for this build that's 75$ or less?

if there is such a thing..also what wattage would you recommend..i was thinking 600-700? and thats supporting a decent OC 24/7 for atleast 1-3 years

Edited by DnaAngel