[SOLVED] Dual monitors, GTX680, picture quality is crap

tbris84

I've been using a 22" Samsung 1680x1050 LCD Monitor via DVI and a 32" Samsung 1920x1080p LCD TV. Today I purchased a second 32" Samsung 1920x1080p LCD TV.

Switching from the 22"+32" setup to 32"+32" I noticed my picture quality has dropped significantly. The color isn't as sharp, in fact it is rather blurry and overly crisp. Seems as though the color pallet isn't as broad. Icons look like they're distorted. The text is harder to read. Watching movies on either one is tough, the video is very choppy. I tried looking for a setting in the nVidia software, but found nothing. Is there a setting in the software I need to enable/disable/modify? This is really frustrating, would love to know how to fix it. I would hope a $520 GPU could handle two 1080p TV's without skipping a bear.

Edited by tbris84

Get IPS monitors, not LCD TV's if you want sharpness and good picture quality.

I don't need super high picture quality, I want the picture quality I had prior to adding a second 32" TV. Any idea what the problem I'm having is? Or how to fix it?

It's pretty simple

old 22" monitor: 90.05PPI

new 32" LCD: 68.84PPI

That's almost a 25% drop in sharpness alone, and who knows if the 22" had better color reproduction (though you may be able to make that better with settings...but sharpness will never be the same ;) )

Though it's weird it got worse with another, have you tried the new TV by itself??

Edited by IVIYTH0S

It's pretty simple

old 22" monitor: 90.05PPI

new 32" LCD: 68.84PPI

That's almost a 25% drop in sharpness alone, and who knows if the 22" had better color reproduction (though you may be able to make that better with settings...but sharpness will never be the same ;) )

Though it's weird it got worse with another, have you tried the new TV by itself??

I understand the PPI on the 32" being worse than the 22", but the old 32" didn't undergo a physical change when I added a second 32". I never had a problem with the old 32" TV until today, now both 32"s look like crap. I know it's a software issue, but I don't know what/where/how to fix it. :(

I tried the new TV alone, the old TV alone, the new TV with a different DVI cable, with a different HDMI cable, the old TV with a different DVI cable, with a different HDMI cable. I tried them both through the onboard HDMI cable as well and the issue is solved on that one display. Only the picture quality as far as Bluray movies isn't quite upto par as the GTX680's was prior to this issue. So I know it isn't the displays.

I'm in communications with EVGA, completely removed the old nVidia drivers and reinstalled them, no change. They're recommending an RMA, but again... I really doubt it's the GPU.

Edited by tbris84

Maybe they switched to interlaced mode? TV versus monitor doesn't make a difference unless we're talking about extremely cheap TVs. :lol:

Color bleeding over HDMI is odd though...

You said you tried all those non-paired combinations....but did they make the problem go away?? or it's there all the time now??

The problem didn't go away with any of the dual or single combinations. It's like the moment it recognized a second 1080p monitor or a second HDMI display it switched something and isn't switching back.

Have you gone into your TV setting to tell it to reproduce pixel for pixel?

No, but I've been through every setting on both TV's and there is nothing like that.

Maybe they switched to interlaced mode? TV versus monitor doesn't make a difference unless we're talking about extremely cheap TVs. :lol:

Color bleeding over HDMI is odd though...

I don't think so, when I switch inputs and switch back it still says 1920x1080/60p. They're Samsung TV's so I don't think it's the TV's themselves. :-/

I found this thread, but the "fix" doesn't make sense.

So I just picked up a new GTX465 and was pleased as punch. The back of the new card has two DVI outs and a wonderful new little HDMI out in place of what used to be S-Video or whatever.

I am the proud owner of a nice Samsung 22in SynchMaster P2370HD tv which just so happens to work best with HDMI cables (or so I thought).

I plugged it in and colors were blurry, text was hard to read, the desk top was cut off and the screen was just plain horrible quality. I googled around for a long time and tried many options and fixed out. I installed the proper drives (which are a classy lady to get from Samsung) and updated my video card drivers… no change! I messed with resolution, even though it should be the obvious default 1080p tv resolution – nothing helped!

People said the black level. People said the sharpness… yadda’ yadda’.

The real solution was thrice as obscure as any of that. The real solution involved renaming the Input! I know right? I found a post on tons hardware that said this:

Edem C 09-16-2010 at 01:40:07 PM

Hi all,

I also now a proud owner of the same model Samsung Syncmaster P2370HD and I finally figured how to get around this blurry text problem:

Under Menu is the suboption Input with 2 other subordinate options. Navigate to Edit Name and choose the HDMI option.there you can state what device you are using,and the resolution problem would be settled as soon as you choose PC. and there you have your native resolution. hope i could help Have fun!

Greets

Edem C

Crazy enough… it friggin’ works!! There is some automatic settings change that happens in the monitor as soon as you scroll the input name down to PC and it just starts working magically. So to recap, Go to Input (2 little cables) choose HDMI then move down to PC in the list.

Don’t thank me, thank Edem C!

"Under Menu is the suboption Input with 2 other subordinate options" Where? Anyone know?

Do you have another computer/laptop that you can hook the panels up to and see if it's your computer alone with the problem?? If so, i will say that the 680 simply goofed and should be RMA'd