Boinker

Wrong windows 7 version

Hey there gentleman.

Putting together a computer for a Friend and I have for the most part been told Wrong on what Kind of Operating system this Software key is for.

Is there any way to switch from Ultimate to professional or any of the other Microsoft Windows 7 without doing a complete install? or am I doomed to a reformat..

Thanks for any and all input,

Boinker.

Windows product keys are different for each trim level, Ultimate, Pro, Home, etc.

If you tried to use an Ultimate key on a Professional verison of Windows or vice versa, it won't work.

Your not doomed, you need just find the right key.

BTW, yeah I think there are ways to upgrade from Pro to Ultimate without doing a install, but I've personally never done it.

Edited by MJCRO

I modded my install ISO to accept any level key...it's a simple fix if you haven't installed already. If you have, you're pretty much stuck reinstalling.

Yeah I think you need to reinstall dude. Like Waco said, you can mod any ISO to any version of Win7. All the data for every version is on all of their DVDs. I like to make a USB installer and then go in and delete the ei.cfg file that identifies what version it is. If you do that, it will prompt you to select the version you want to install.

Here is Microsoft's tool to create a bootable USB installer. After all the files are copied over and the process is complete, delete ei.cfg located in the "Sources" folder.

http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msstore/html/pbPage.Help_Win7_usbdvd_dwnTool

Edited by 90sgamer

Hey thanks for the Advise guys. going to try that method right now Dr. B

Hey max, sorry I made you work to make the Windows ISO's all for nothing. If the guy that got the key would have told me the right thing in the first place then I would have :mad:used the one I own to Do it.

:pfp:

if it means anything... all of my installers are on a bootable USB stick seen as a hard drive... :)