VLC Player and PotPlayer audio issues

tbris84

I just recently hooked up my Onkyo TX-SR605 up to my PC via HDMI from the motherboard and I'm having selective audio issues. I posted this question on the VLC player forums but received no assistance. I get audio through my TV speakers no problem, but as soon as I power up my receiver and switch the audio output to the receiver I lose VLC and PotPlayer audio.

The receiver display says "GAME DIRECT... PCM MULTI CH... HDMI - DIRECT". In this mode I can use the Windows audio controls to adjust the volume. When I load Windows Media Player and watch a movie through it, the receiver display changes to "GAME T-D...HDMI DSP... Audyssy" and I have to use the receiver and only the receiver to adjust the audio. Does that mean anything to you audio/receiver experts?

Another weird thing I notice when I switch to my receiver for audio is my desktop expands past what is visible on my screen. As if my desktop is over 1920 pixels wide. Almost like I had a third monitor hooked up, but I don't.

The VLC error messages I get are these:

main warning: audio output out of sync, adjusting dates (-45738 us)

main warning: not synchronized (-45737 us), resampling

main warning: buffer too early (-60362), down-sampling

main warning: audio output out of sync, adjusting dates (150819 us)

main warning: not synchronized (150820 us), resampling

main warning: timing screwed, stopping resampling

main warning: buffer too late (90548), up-sampling

main debug: audio output is starving (-199122), playing silence

Thanks guys, any help is appreciated. I would really like to be able to use my nice surround sound system for movie watching.

I have the same Onkyo receiver hooked to my PC via HDMI. You do know that this receiver cannot receive audio data via the HDMI input? For some reason Onkyo cut that corner. It requires a different audio input from your PC. I have mine hooked via S/PDIF into the Onkyo's digital coax input. IF you knew about this, have it wired somehow, and are on XP my help stops there. On XP this worked easily because sound output to the PC speakers AND whatever other outputs present was simultaneous. Since my PC and the Onkyo are in different rooms with a closed door between this was fine for me. Vista, I don't know about. But when I went to Windows 7 with the same wiring the Onkyo stopped getting sound from the PC. MS decided to ditch the simultaneous sound, you have to pick one or the other. Maybe because a lot of people have the 2 systems in the same room. But it's a hassle to go into Control every time to switch. Then I found Win7AudioSwitcher v2.0 Beta, a small tray utility that makes the switch easy. Now I find I can't give you a link to it. You could look yourself. But this other little utility may work for you:

Quick Sound Switch