Looking to get an SSD

Deathmineral

The M4 just seems like a major ripoff, and whether the SanDisk is the king of performance or not (which would probably be unnoticeable to anyone anyway) they are a very large, well established, memory company that make quality products.

You do know who owns Crucial right? They are larger and more established than SanDisk =P

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I got mine for $180 :dunno: They don't decide how much Amazon or Newegg is charging at any given time.

I know, I was just kidding, but I don't see any reason to get that drive at the ludicrous price they're asking. There are better drives for cheaper.

I know, I was just kidding, but I don't see any reason to get that drive at the ludicrous price they're asking. There are better drives for cheaper.

Is there something I'm not getting about the M4? All the reviews I've read have nothing but nice things to say and I mean I got it for $105, doesn't seem like that bad of a price to me. As for better drives that are cheaper, I think that depends on how one defines "better", because for me right now, better is the drive with fewest failures. I mean according to Amazon reviews, the Vertex 4 has about 15-20 reviews about how the drive failed in the first month, with a total of ~100 reviews, so that's a pretty high failure rate there. Where as the M4 has about 70-80 bad reviews out of ~800, and from what I saw, probably half of those is about the bug with the firmware, which really isn't an issue now since most of these ship with firmware newer than that with the bug, so overall, the failure rate is pretty low. I just need something reliable, I'm sick of my storage devices failing, of all the things to have fail, that's probably the one that's the most annoying.

Is there something I'm not getting about the M4? All the reviews I've read have nothing but nice things to say and I mean I got it for $105, doesn't seem like that bad of a price to me. As for better drives that are cheaper, I think that depends on how one defines "better", because for me right now, better is the drive with fewest failures. I mean according to Amazon reviews, the Vertex 4 has about 15-20 reviews about how the drive failed in the first month, with a total of ~100 reviews, so that's a pretty high failure rate there. Where as the M4 has about 70-80 bad reviews out of ~800, and from what I saw, probably half of those is about the bug with the firmware, which really isn't an issue now since most of these ship with firmware newer than that with the bug, so overall, the failure rate is pretty low. I just need something reliable, I'm sick of my storage devices failing, of all the things to have fail, that's probably the one that's the most annoying.

Less sales= Less failures :rolleyes:

Make SURE you update the firmware before you do anything with your drive - especially with a vertex 4 or similar indilix drive - the latest firmware WILL require a full data wipe

I just ordered a vertex4 - I dont mind rebates but I dont mind not having rebates

vertex 4 did have serious problems at launch but most of that is cleared up now

basically, most drives share 3rd party controllers nowadays so it doesnt make too much a big deal what brand you choose

the vertex 4 has a 5 year warranty btw, other drives might not

I am currently typing on an Agility 3 which is also great and there is an agility 2 in my mac, but I put an intel SSD drive in my mom's computer when I came for a visit

(she's not too savvy with doing firmware updates and such)

crucial m4 is fine though

I think you need to re-check your math. :pfp:

What's wrong with my math?? OCZ easily is one of the largest quantity SSD movers in the business, so they get picked on the most because they have the most products out there to fail.

Like potato said, early adopters often run the risk of getting problems. This why I never am an early adopter, obscene prices and possible bugs to be worked out. Not to mention, like potato mentioned, SSDs manufacturers are typically at mercy of the quality of whatever controller they end up using, bad controller and firmware and they'll have issues. Just get a drive after a couple firmwares have been released and it's HIGHLY unlikely you'll have any issues, and of course check for a new firmware out before you put any data on in case flashing it to the update wipes the data.

Edited by IVIYTH0S

What's wrong with my math?? OCZ easily is one of the largest quantity SSD movers in the business, so they get picked on the most because they have the most products out there to fail.

Like potato said, early adopters often run the risk of getting problems. This why I never am an early adopter, obscene prices and possible bugs to be worked out. Not to mention, like potato mentioned, SSDs manufacturers are typically at mercy of the quality of whatever controller they end up using, bad controller and firmware and they'll have issues. Just get a drive after a couple firmwares have been released and it's HIGHLY unlikely you'll have any issues, and of course check for a new firmware out before you put any data on in case flashing it to the update wipes the data.

Well... your math is kind of broken, less sales most certainly does not equal less failures, sales numbers doesn't affect the quality of a product at all. If what you said was the case, the Wii would have a higher failure rate than the 360, and everyone knows that isn't the case.

OCZ may be a big SSD company but Crucial is bigger, from what I've seen, they sold more or at least have more reviews(on both Newegg and Amazon) on the M4 than the OCZ does for the Vertex 4.

Vertex 4 Newegg

Vertex 4 Amazon

M4 Newegg

M4 Amazon

Now respectively, assuming all 1 and 2 egg/star reviews are about failures.

Newegg Vertex 4 20%

Newegg M4 5%

Amazon Vertex 4 15%

Amazon M4 10%

Those would be the failure rates, however that math is under assumption, but I'm simply not going to go through and read each and every review. I read about 25-50 of the reviews on Amazon for the M4, they mostly pointed toward it being a very reliable drive other than a firmware issue, which pretty much isn't a concern because these usually ship with a version of firmware that fixed that.

Going on 50+ SSD's now from just about all brands. Still no failure, yet. I think it's more user failure... I should have had at least 1 SSD go bad (I have RMA'd SSD's, but only because of me breaking the plastic connectors on them).