Looking to get an SSD

Deathmineral

I also would like one of those SSD but I've heard SSD technology fails a lot. In fact if you think it doesn't have mobile parts. It shouldt fail but it looks less reliable than normal HDDs. So i'm still not buying ANY (of any brand) SSD.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I also would like one of those SSD but I've heard SSD technology fails a lot. In fact if you think it doesn't have mobile parts. It shouldt fail but it looks less reliable than normal HDDs. So i'm still not buying ANY (of any brand) SSD.

You have heard wrong, SSD technology has been in my experience at least as stable as traditional HDs. Actually more so considering I drop an SSD out a second story window during testing and it was fine, cannot do that with a traditional drive.

You have heard wrong, SSD technology has been in my experience at least as stable as traditional HDs. Actually more so considering I drop an SSD out a second story window during testing and it was fine, cannot do that with a traditional drive.

Good to know data could survive a bad breakup or fit of rage. :D

We actually have customers who do these kind of things to their computers, so it would in fact be a good feature.

Well, I'm still in IDE mode, just went and enabled TRIM, going to restart now.

Edit: Looks like TRIM is certainly enabled.

It is probably just reporting wrong. TRIM does not work in IDE mode.

It is probably just reporting wrong. TRIM does not work in IDE mode.

According to several forum threads, TRIM does indeed work in IDE. There used to be special tool boxes to get it to work, but several of them were posted under mega upload. As a result I am having a hard time finding any at the moment, but the key point is it DOES work.

Hmm. I guess I can chalk that up to common misknowledge then. I've gone to great lengths to enable AHCI on older installs (from IDE mode) to make sure TRIM was working...but it looks like I learned it wrong. :lol:

Well, I got my drive in yesterday, installed it today, and I'm on it right now, so far so good. :D

Have to say though, I'm kind of disappointed, after all the praise everyone has given SSD's, I'm just not all that impressed really. Only thing I really notice a difference with it is with windows start up.

Have you tried playing any games with it? or running Applications like Photoshop etc?

Thanks for your feedback, i was thinking of getting an SSD too.. But if it's just noticeable with boot up, then i won't go for it :P

Have you tried playing any games with it? or running Applications like Photoshop etc?

Thanks for your feedback, i was thinking of getting an SSD too.. But if it's just noticeable with boot up, then i won't go for it :P

So far I've tried two games with it, Skyrim and Tribes. I can't say Skyrim was any different with loading times, but that had nothing to do with the drive and everything to do with me modding it too much. Tribes wouldn't copy over properly so I couldn't test it. There's really nothing else I'm playing enough of to justify copying over. I don't really do any photoshop or video editing or anything like that. As far as games go, I would say there's no promise with any game but there's probably a good chance your loading times will improve in most games, it seems to work well for most people that have tried more games with a SSD.

Anyway, as for TRIM in IDE, I ran another test earlier and it's all the same as the day I enabled TRIM, and there's been plenty of activity on the drive so I would say it's working fine.

The short answer here is go for the biggest capacity that costs the least. All drives are much of a muchness (SATA 6gb) with Sandforce holding some aces while Marvell the other. The Vertex 4 drives are probably the best bang for your buck ATM. Yer pays yer money & takes yer choice.

I said that because I saw many guys saying their drives failed here in OCC. For the reason they don't have mobile parts I was expecting to be nearly... Eternal ...

I said that because I saw many guys saying their drives failed here in OCC. For the reason they don't have mobile parts I was expecting to be nearly... Eternal ...

I heard that the life is less compared to traditional drives. But there is no problem with dropping the drives down, since there are no moving parts inside it. It's just Flash chips on a board.

---

Atleast the game loading time is better. Check the FPS with fraps or something :)

Edited by ryandigweed