Looking to get an SSD

Deathmineral

Okay, so after being stingy for the longest time now, SSD prices are finally agreeable to me and I'm looking to get one, and the encouragement of my current drive hosting my OS probably doesn't slow down this decision either. :lol:

Anyway, looking for an SSD to be used as an OS drive mainly, also considering throwing some games on it. What's most important to me is reliability, I currently have my OS drive failing me for the second time in a year, looking for something where that's going to be an unlikely occurrence. Don't care too much about whether it's the fastest SSD on the market or not, I figure going to it from a HDD anyway, I'll probably be happy with the difference even if it's the slowest SSD, so speed, not really a concern. Looking for something in the 120GB or higher range.

This is what I'm considering right now, I've only ever heard great things about the M4's, seems reliable. I'm just wondering what my fellow OCCers think, good buy? Should I get something else? Is it a bad idea for me to use the transfer kit? Does the fact that my current drive is failing affect something like that? Should I go with chocolate or vanilla pudding?

Thanks! :D

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I very nearly went with that exact same one before I decided to use my gift card at Amazon for an OCZ one. :lol: I had the same problem with my older SSD as Waco did with two of his, so I had to get a new one.

I feel that 120GB is the perfect size for an OS drive. More than enough room for Windows and some of your most used programs, while the larger HDDs can hold pictures, music, movies, etc. The speed increase is always a nice thing, regardless if it maxes out the SATA 3 connection or not.

As for a transfer kit, I've never used them when going from different HDD sizes or even to SSDs. I always just back everything up onto a different drive, get Windows installed on the new one, then transfer stuff over. Windows does have a backup feature you can use as well, provided your current OS drive isn't larger than the SSD you'll be getting.

At the time of writing:

$114.99 for a Vertex4.. Uh, Do It!

The Vertex4 offers higher speed than the m4 and the Indilinx controller (which is basically a Marvell + Custom Firmware) is a solid and reliable controller. And you get 5 years warranty instead of 3 :thumbsup:

Edit: Looks like you can add in a promo code for another $15 off (ends 8/31) If true, that's $99! :woo:

Edited by vandreadstriker

I really like my Vertex 3 120GB. Got it from Tiger Direct when prices started falling like crazy, got it for $99 before rebate. I don't think you can go wrong with OCZ; their products are top notch and the focus pretty much all on storage now.

The M4s are good. If you don't need to buy right away you can probably get one on sale. I got my 256's for $180. If you can bump up the budget the ~256 range of drives usually have the best $/GB ratio.

With the price of the SSDs coming way down, I would recommend going with a 256gb one, which like Coors said, can be picked up for around $180. I have a 128gb SSD with my OS and ~5 games from steam/origin loaded on it, and when I want to play a game I don't have installed, its very frustrating having to move a folder back and forth to the large drive. My next build will for sure have something bigger than a 128gb to just avoid the hassle, but that's just me.

SanDisk 128GB for $90

or

OCZ Agility 3 120GB for $85 after MIR

that Crucial is off its rocker at that price

I saw the Sandisk while I was browsing around, looks good as well, but the lack of reviews makes it a difficult buy for me. I hear a bit too much about OCZ drives failing to go with the Agiility 3 or Vertex 4 mentioned. While I'm sure the Vertex 4 is a good deal for someone really looking for speed, I need reliability, something that doesn't have a ~15% failure rate, which seems to be the case for both the Vertex 4 and Agility 3.

Unless my current hard drive just dies all of sudden, I'll probably wait for a good deal on the M4, in fact I was looking at it's pricing history last night and found out it was actually on sale for only $100 just two days ago, if only I had gotten the itch to get one of these a few days sooner. :lol:

Edit: Just took another look and it's only $105 right now actually, I think I'm going to go ahead and get the M4 for that, seems like a decent deal to me and I'd probably be making the better choice to not procrastinate on a failing hard drive. :D

Edited by Deathmineral

I saw the Sandisk while I was browsing around, looks good as well, but the lack of reviews makes it a difficult buy for me. I hear a bit too much about OCZ drives failing to go with the Agiility 3 or Vertex 4 mentioned. While I'm sure the Vertex 4 is a good deal for someone really looking for speed, I need reliability, something that doesn't have a ~15% failure rate, which seems to be the case for both the Vertex 4 and Agility 3.

Unless my current hard drive just dies all of sudden, I'll probably wait for a good deal on the M4, in fact I was looking at it's pricing history last night and found out it was actually on sale for only $100 just two days ago, if only I had gotten the itch to get one of these a few days sooner. :lol:

Edit: Just took another look and it's only $105 right now actually, I think I'm going to go ahead and get the M4 for that, seems like a decent deal to me and I'd probably be making the better choice to not procrastinate on a failing hard drive. :D

I can't comment on that SanDisk drive without reading some reviews (get to it :P ) but I have two OCZ drives (Vertex 2 and Agility 3) and they're great. My Vertex 2 is around a year old without problems, OCZ probably has "alot of them failing" because they have to be close to, if not the biggest seller of SSDs.

OCZ memory has been in this computer, my last computer (Core2Quad system) and their PSU's in my desktop (PC Power and Cooling is owned by OCZ) and also my dad's 500W StealthXStream and none have failed to their credit as well.

The M4 just seems like a major ripoff, and whether the SanDisk is the king of performance or not (which would probably be unnoticeable to anyone anyway) they are a very large, well established, memory company that make quality products.

Kingston has some great deals right now:

SSDNow V+200 120 Gig for $90 and theupgrade kit versionfor $10 more. Very solid drives. Also the HyperX 3K 120 Gig is $114 or the Upgrade kit for it is $88 after rebate, this is an awesome buy.

I have a Kingston SSDNow V+ 64GB and it's a sweet little piece in my HTPC, even with a E350 that little machine screams with that drive. They aren't gold medalist in reviewer benchmarks but they're still decent drives.