MSL Lands on Mars Safely

InCrYsIs

While I understand your pessimism, there's a lot of optimistic people out there (I'm one of them). Look at it this way. If people don't believe we can do it, we'll never try. If there's 0 attempts, then there's 0 chance. If people believe, and what everyone else believes is impossible, there's always a chance to prove them wrong, because someone is making the attempt to make it happen where no one else is.

You're quite the motivational speaker. :lol::typing:

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

While I can see both of Captain's and Crysis' viewpoints I must say that I disagree with some stuff.

Crysis, my brother works for Lockhead and is a chief testing engineer on their MPCV.

It's gonna work and the plans are, far into the future, to inhabit other planets and eventually solar systems (very far future.)

It's the natural progression of things. Tech will evolve the capabilities to travel far, fast. The rest (eating, breathing) of living on another body can be overcome, given the proper choice of said body. And there are many many smart peops that work on each hurdle of this.

It would take a major and highly unlikely catastrophe to take place before humanity starts colonizing space.

Before we start colonizing another planet though, we're probably going to explore large asteroids. Much easier to work with as their lower masses allow us to get off of them with less fuel. Can't remember where it was, but I'm pretty sure I heard about the potential plan of grabbing an asteroid and pulling it into orbit specifically to use as a base. Might have been in relation to the proposed space elevator idea. The asteroid being the top of the elevator.

That's not why I'm posting in this thread though. This is:

MSL Parachute.jpg

More than the images from the rover itself, I think this shows we really got something on another planet.

While I can see both of Captain's and Crysis' viewpoints I must say that I disagree with some stuff.

Crysis, my brother works for Lockhead and is a chief testing engineer on their MPCV.

It's gonna work and the plans are, far into the future, to inhabit other planets and eventually solar systems (very far future.)

It's the natural progression of things. Tech will evolve the capabilities to travel far, fast. The rest (eating, breathing) of living on another body can be overcome, given the proper choice of said body. And there are many many smart peops that work on each hurdle of this.

It would take a major and highly unlikely catastrophe to take place before humanity starts colonizing space.

I agree. Working toward this is great and we should. I don't think time is on our side. It is 2012 and we haven't put a man on Mars yet.

I think it is one of the few ways we don't waste money as a country.

I hate to rain on your parade, but humanity is never going to live or mine on any other world. We were born here and are going to die here. I have spoken to several scientists and researchers about that very topic and get the same answer....."IF humans are around for another 1000 years, it won't happen."

I don't get it... how can you feel it's not a waste of money but also feel like we're never going to get anywhere with it? If we aren't going into space to colonize, I don't see why we should be exploring space at all, where is the benefit is what I'm wondering?

I don't get it... how can you feel it's not a waste of money but also feel like we're never going to get anywhere with it? If we aren't going into space to colonize, I don't see why we should be exploring space at all, where is the benefit is what I'm wondering?

Velcro and Tang!!

To learn more about the origin of the solar system/Universe etc. Possibly answer questions to where we originated. Was there life in other places? Is there life in other places?

TO LEARN AND UNDERSTAND

Velcro is pretty awesome, Tang not so much.

Edited by InCrYsIs

To learn more about the origin of the solar system/Universe etc. Possibly answer questions to where we originated. Was there life in other places? Is there life in other places?

TO LEARN AND UNDERSTAND

Velcro is pretty awesome, Tang not so much.

So why should I have to fund your curiosity? I just think we should have private companies doing things like that. I don't think that finding out the origin of the solar system can be considered something for the public good.

So why should I have to fund your curiosity? I just think we should have private companies doing things like that. I don't think that finding out the origin of the solar system can be considered something for the public good.

Because SCIENCE

Don't fund it. I don't want to fund food stamps or medicaid but my taxes go where they go. I don't want to pay taxes at all but I don't get to check boxes. Since I am a Science student and work at a research facility maybe I am partial.

If you have a problem with where your tax dollars go call your congress person and cry to them.

Because SCIENCE

^^^^^^^^^^

Edited by InCrYsIs

post-69608-0-59861200-1344273585_thumb.jpg

More than the images from the rover itself, I think this shows we really got something on another planet.

That's freaking awesome!!

I agree. Working toward this is great and we should. I don't think time is on our side. It is 2012 and we haven't put a man on Mars yet.

What's the time pressure you feel. Is there something I don't know...is it an imminent asteroid collision?...is it the Mayan thing?...what, gives, why the rush?