Toshiba Laptop issues

Shredalicious42

Hi all. I have just been tasked with bringing a laptop back to life that does not belong to me, one of my friends' friend has given it to me to fix as I offered to do so. It is an older Toshiba Satellite L510-016 that does not display at boot and the power switch does not turn off the computer once is has been turned on so the only way to turn it off is to remove the battery which is terrible. I have a plan laid out to recover important user data and then format the hard drive to reinstall windows vista or 7 depending on what the user wants. I was just wondering on how and what would cause the display not to work and once I sort out that problem I can handle the rest.

Does the display work at all or is it just not working during boot though i am not sure what the problem might be if its just a boot issue as for the power button not working to shut it off it may be damaged some how but again not sure since it works to turn it on and it is simply a momentary switch(push it it makes contact let got it loses contact)

Does the display work at all or is it just not working during boot though i am not sure what the problem might be if its just a boot issue as for the power button not working to shut it off it may be damaged some how but again not sure since it works to turn it on and it is simply a momentary switch(push it it makes contact let got it loses contact)

Its weird because the display was all of a sudden starting to work and then it went out again, this may be some kind of damage because I dont know how the laptop was handled.