Cool online e-tailer idea

MJCRO

E-tailer start up idea.  

18 members have voted

1. 1. An online e-tailer that specializes in only PC enthusiast hardware.

I have a really cool idea guys that I'm really considering of pursuing after college. Bare with me on this.. you know how there's websites us enthusiasts buy from like Newegg, Tigerdirect, Microcenter, etc. for our hardware purchases? Well I've been considering about doing a small business startup after I finish up school and I'd like to become an online/physical store reseller of all the parts and hardware we love like crazy. I was thinking about doing only GPU's, CPU's, RAM, PSU's, etc at first.; like the main components most of us go through quickly.

I don't want my selling to consist of all the garbage these places like Newegg and Microcenter have become like. I'd want to only specialize in custom PC gaming hardware. I would also like be the type of place where we offer amazing service to customers both in the U.S. and Worldwide and be the one stop place for all PC enthusiasts.

The idea's still in the air, but I'm really think I have my mind set on something like this after I finish up my degree. BTW I'm majoring in Business with a minor in CIS ATM. I'll be on my 3rd year this fall.

Any thoughts?

Edited by MJCRO

I would like to see it happen, however sourcing your gear and getting decent prices for it will be hard. Newegg buys gpu's by the shipping container, so they pay much less per GPU than anyone else.

Money? Where is it coming from?

Reputation? Again where?

Volume and margin? How will you compete with the big players?

Money - I'd be investing my own money into this + business loans/investments. <~ still in the air on this.

Reputation - It would be be from zlitch, I would have to look into online marketing/SEO for my website and local advertising for the physical store

Volume/margin - I would initially start my selling in small amounts by reselling for the big names, buy I'd like to carry my own stock and set up contracts with big name vendors/manufacturers to sell at my own fair prices and give deals, promotions, etc.

My main goal for this small business/company would be to provide A+ service, shipping to global locations, and carry stock of hardware components that you can't easily find at the usual places and at fair prices. rolleyes.gif

BTW, if I do end up having a physical store/warehouse. I'd be mainly located in the NYC area.

Edited by MJCRO

You should add another option to the poll

"Good luck"

Very true! lol2.gif

I'm not saying it's something I'll end up pursuing. but to me it's sounds like a good start.

Edited by MJCRO

To me it sounds like a stupid idea but I would like to see it work

so....

Good luck :cheers:

I hear ya. I still got another 2 years.. so anything can happen. I'll always be an entrepreneur at heart though. smile.gif

Edited by MJCRO

From what I got from working in computers in retail is that the cheap stuff is what makes the most money for the company. I'm not sure how true it is, but it is what it seemed like to me.

You'll probably end up rich and laughing at us guys who don't take the risks, lol

Yes, but you'll have to do something to make yourself stand out from all the others. There's already a lot of e-tailers for computer parts. Also, you'll have to give customers a reason to buy from YOU instead of the bigger, more trusted site like Newegg. All I can say is good luck. If you need any tips or have questions, shoot me a PM, my dad does this for a living (among other things), and he just launched a brand new site on the 1st of this month. Check it out if you're interested.

Edit: To clarify, I voted yes, do it. It may not be a good idea depending on how much money and time you can put in to this, but then again, you may get lucky and end up with one of the best go-to sites that everyone on a forum would recommend, just like Petra's Tech Shop used to be. Being a business major, I'm all for risk-taking. :lol: I wish you the best of luck!

Edited by Onion

From what I got from working in computers in retail is that the cheap stuff is what makes the most money for the company. I'm not sure how true it is, but it is what it seemed like to me.

You'll probably end up rich and laughing at us guys who don't take the risks, lol

This.

Remember that we make up less than 5% of the market so there isn't always going to be a huge demand of the latest and greatest in terms of components. While that may be a good end goal, to do anything beyond a local store would require a hefty base of "standard" computer parts, components, accessories and complete systems.

However, a small, focused buisness may be what you are going for, in which case it's far more likely than trying to steal a market segment away from newegg.

Edited by Silas13013

MJ - you could start out by selling through the Amazon Storefront but doing fulfillment yourself. Amazon charges a flat $39.99 flat monthly fee for professional sellers. Then they take 8% from your gross sales each month as their additional profit. With each shipment sold through the Amazon Storefront include a flyer, business card or insert that sends customers directly to your own personal website. Offer them a 5% discount or more for ordering direct from you n the future. Boom - your business is started. You'll need investment capital for purchasing wholesale product, inbound shipping, incorporation fees, website development / maintenance and warranty allowance etc.

IMHO the biggest risk with enthusiast only components is the return rate. We all know people who modify, tweak or overclock the snot out of stuff and when it breaks they want to send it back.