Gigabyte 990xa-ud3 - AMD Fx-4100

Hi everyone!

So i've been thinking about overclocking for sometime and finally got the money around to go and buy a few bits and bats. I bought myself a new Gigabyte 990xa-ud3 and AMD Fx-4100 CPU. I have a GTX 550Ti GPU and 2x4gb of Kingston RAM and a 500w PSU

Before i buy all of my cooling system and what not i thought id test everything out and update the BIOS etc. This is where my problem lies, i installed everything into my case pressed the start button and nothing at all happend. I dug a little deeper took every cable out, took my GPU out, CPU out but to no avail. The only way i can get my system to even attempt to do anything is by removing the 4 pin ATX 12v connector from the 8pin ATX slot. I read on a few forums that it should be okay to run on 4 pins and was going to get around to buying a 750w PSU when i had the money.

Now when i say i get my system to do anything, i mean fans start to move, my HDD starts up but no boot screen, no beeps, no nothing. Also when i try to turn the computer off by either pressing the on/off button or holding it down it doesnt turn off. I have to do it by either pull plug or turning my PSU off at the back.

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated and i apologise if my explaining of things is a bit rubbish!

Tom

You probably need to update the BIOS before the CPU will work. See here: http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=3901#ov

To enable AM3+ AMD FX-Series CPU support, please update your motherboard with the most current BIOS found in your motherboard’s download section.

Do you have another AM3 CPU laying around (or one you can borrow) to update the BIOS?

Well ive messaged Gigabyte to see what they have to say. As i wasn't really wanting to take the mobo back but its not looking too promising at the moment.

Thanks for your speedy replies anyway.

Really? Well in that case we can do more troubleshooting!

My next step would be to take everything out of the case and build the machine with the bare minimums on a piece of cardboard or something similarly non-conductive. Just CPU, mobo, GPU, and one stick of RAM. See if that will boot. If it does, try adding hardware till you have everything hooked up (still out of the case). If it still works, double-check your case to make sure nothing is coming in contact with the back of the board.

Also before you do that it's always good to check the pinouts for the front panel on the mobo, newbie mistake I know, but I can't count how many times I've pulled my hair out over a simple pinout issue... :)

Okay so i did as you said and it seems it was my case afterall im going to have to reinstall windows as all the changes seem to have upset my computer a little, but hey ho the fact its even starting up is good enough for me!

Ill keep you posted anyway and thanks a lot for your help!

My first suggestion would be to double check all of the motherboard standoff locations in the case to make sure nothing is touching the board. When you're pretty sure you got it carefully install it back in the case and test again.:cheers:

I remember building a pc for a friend and I ran into a problem when the time came of boot up the system. No display, no bios just the computer was on. I removed everything and found out that a few of the pins on the CPU were bent when the CPU socked was closed with the retainer thingy. All I did was use tweezers to re bend the pins back into their original position and then the system worked fine. Had a mini heart attack in the process as well. In short, take the CPU out and make sure that all of the pins are in place.

• 1 month later...

Hi there OP.

Well, I had this setup myself for testing.

I was able to hit 4.6GHz on the stock cooler, and 4.8GHz on my Xigmatek.

This processor can take the abuse, but when you go above 4.4GHz, it actually hurts gaming performance. I ran this with a Radeon HD6950. Anything 4.4GHz and below, I was golden, getting well over 140fps in COD BLOPS (125 on average).

This processor gets hot FAST... but it drops temps even faster.

As far as the settings go, tell me what you're trying so far, and I can help if you request.

-Shane

Owner at Renegade PC Solutions