Sign in to follow this  
BlueMega

ASUS P5QL-PRO Overclock instructions requested

Hey. So I've upgraded from a P5GC-MX/1333 to a P5QL-PRO motherboard. Up until now, I've only owned motherboards that supported the basic overclocking method (just increase cpu/gpu/ram fsb). But this new mobo supports advanced overclocking (there are a lot of options, including voltage tuning, and i just don't understand them, yet).

On my old mobo, I had overclocked my E5700 (3.0Ghz) to 3.7Ghz by raising the FSB from 200 to 250. It wasn't going above, probably due to lack of voltage. I've already done the same to my new mobo aswell, but now i want to go higher, as this mobo supports voltage overclocking.

So, tell me the best overclock settings you can for my setup. And if possible, try to guide me about advanced overclocking aswell. Keep in mind that I've never voltage overclocked before...

I don't like the automatic overclocking mode, so currently I've just raised the CPU FSB to 250 in manual overclocking mode...

Now, if you can't tell me all that, then atleast tell me how much should i increase the core volt? Currently it runs at 1.256 while on load. On what increments should i increase it? Should i increase it to 1.266, then 1.276 or what?

Voltage is going to be dependent on two things - what cooling solution you have and how far you're willing to go/risk wearing out the chip.

I think most people stop hitting those with voltage at 1.4V or so, but again this also depends on temperatures/cooling solution.

Decent read for an E5700 in another Asus board - has ideas for voltage and whatnot

http://www.overclock.net/t/1013734/need-help-overclocking-e5700

We can't really recommend anything without knowing what kind of CPU cooling you have, what kind of RAM you have, etc.

Ok here are my complete Specs:

Mobo: Asus P5QL-PRO

CPU: E5700

RAM: 2GB DDR2 667MHz

GPU: ATI HD5770 1GB

PSU: 400w CM

HDD: 250GB Sata

I'm using stock cooler, but my temps are good. (50c at full load with FSB @ 250) And i don't mind CPU temp as high as 60c.

Now, will you help me out?

Edited by BlueMega

There's only so much you get to learn by us simply telling you exactly what settings to punch in. Look through your motherboard's user manual and learn what each thing may mean for that board (some manufacturer's may use different terminology for the same thing).

The chip is only stable as it is. We can't tell you what exactly it will do and where it will hit a wall/become unstable. That is something you have to find out by yourself. I already told you what voltage would be the max you should hit, but seeing as how you're still on the stock cooler I wouldn't touch voltages until you get something more suitable. It's not that 60°C is already high, it's that even a small increase in voltage can make a large jump in temperatures. It's really not worth it. If you want 4GHz then you should get a better cooler (even $30 would be a lot better than the stock and provide more overhead). I'd rather my chip be unstable on its own terms and find its limit rather than having to top at 80°C and just being worried about temps.

Ok, so since nobody was really helping me out. I went the "try & learn it yourself" way, and guess what? I've learned how voltage overclocking works. I still don't know what all those other advanced options do, but I'll google them out later.

Anyways, Wanna know the highest stable voltage overclock i got to? I got it to a whole 4200Mhz @ 280 FSB! That's 500Mhz more than my previous overclock. The performance was amazing!

5V4Hf.png

Now... guess what the temp was? It was easily hitting 70c at full load... At this point i knew i could either enjoy the ultra speed until my CPU died, or enjoy my original overclock for a whole lot longer... So ofcourse i switched back.

K44I1.png

But now that I've seen the possibility, maybe I'll buy a good CPU cooler soon & try out my mega overclock again. :D

70 C on a Conroe chip is just fine. My Yorktown (two of them stuck together for a quad) ran up into the 80s for years without problems. Last I heard it was still running great in someone else's rig as well.

^ Well, it's actually a Wolfdale which is slightly better than a conroe... Anyways, are you saying I'm okay with that mega overclock on my stock cooler?

Wolfdales need to stay cooler...not sure how much though.

^ Thanks.

Here's the proof of temperature if anyone needed it:

pWxXI.png

Anyways, much thanks to all of you guys!