i am thinking about Raiding my HDD

towhog66

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

LR2...What I've been reading so far is RAID0 is the fastest and put a 3rd HDD in there it's VERY fast. Right now I'm leaning towards using a SSD for OS and programs with 2T external  for backups.Your way sounds good but what about 3 HDD's in RAID0 ?  Anyone tried that?

you could put 10 together in raid 0 and it still won't be as fast as solid state. If it's purely for storage, there really is no point unless you spend a lot of time loading single, very large files, where continuous reading matters(not random, cause that will still suck). If you do back up your data, and you simply want to do it for fun, then all the power to ya, but you never notice it 99/100. I use to have 4 small raptors in raid 0 and while it did do a very few things well, it sucked sometimes too. One big thing is access time, and you only increase it with more drives.

RAID 0 is unsafe, but with regular backups the speedup is enjoyable. Just remember that at best you'll double/triple your sequential and random access times. SSDs are incredibly faster (100-1000x) at random access than even a RAID array of HDDs.