Sign in to follow this  
prost

help with sending messages using facebook

I'm new to Facebook and wondered if I have sent a message to another Facebook user properly. Is this like sending a message to another user on a forum? I pressed the "Message" button on someone's page and sent a message but I'm not sure what to expect. Thanks.

That's pretty much all there is to it.

Facebook have also linked chat and messaging together, so if they reply when you are on Facebook, it will come up in the chat window.

Is an e-mail send to the user if a message arrives? Thanks.

By default, I don't think so. It used to back when "messaging" and chat were separate, but I haven't seen one since they merged. I haven't gotten one lately for the messages that I received, and I've never changed any of my notification settings.

You can have it email you for specific events if you customize your Email Frequency under the Notifications tab on your Account Settings.

post-5662-0-17807100-1343769022_thumb.jpg

Probably, but they can chose to allow only Friends to send them a PM. I imagine that really famous people who friend everyone just ignore their messages, or like George Takei, use a page and don't allow messaging.

Edited by Phil

I think very few famous people are visible to non-friends on Facebook, and only add people they know. Instead they (Or their PR) communicate with fans via their 'Like' pages