Sign in to follow this  
velazkid

How does SLI perform?

Someone with experience tell me how well SLI works. I might very well get a 660Ti, keep that for a year or 2, then buy another for SLI. However I know crossfire has been very sketchy when it comes to reliability in a lot of games. Heard stories multiple times about just having to flat out disable crossfire to be able to play some games, and beyond that, games just not running very well with crossfire. Almost every Catalyst patch includes multiple "this game will perform better with crossfire" patch notes, which leads me to believe when new games are released they almost never work that great with crossfire until the cards drivers are updated. I have heard some complaints about SLI scattered throughout the interwebs, but not as much as crossfire. Tell me, how well does SLI work, is it pretty much in the same boat as crossfire considering they use the same techniques? Is it worth it to eventually SLI, rather than buy a beefy card from the get go like the 670?

I've had a few Sli setups (9800s, 285s and 570s) and every time I fully regret it. Usually it's directly related to a driver issue and more games having problems running and a hassle than just using a single config. When it does work, It's really refreshing to see the high fps with max AA/AF.

Thats just me but here is the cons and pros

Pros:

-Cheep performance boost

-Higher AA/AF/FPS than possible with any single card

Cons:

-Hassle to get new games to work

-Hassle to get old games to work

-Higher Power usage

Someone with experience tell me how well SLI works. I might very well get a 660Ti, keep that for a year or 2, then buy another for SLI. However I know crossfire has been very sketchy when it comes to reliability in a lot of games. Heard stories multiple times about just having to flat out disable crossfire to be able to play some games, and beyond that, games just not running very well with crossfire. Almost every Catalyst patch includes multiple "this game will perform better with crossfire" patch notes, which leads me to believe when new games are released they almost never work that great with crossfire until the cards drivers are updated. I have heard some complaints about SLI scattered throughout the interwebs, but not as much as crossfire. Tell me, how well does SLI work, is it pretty much in the same boat as crossfire considering they use the same techniques? Is it worth it to eventually SLI, rather than buy a beefy card from the get go like the 670?

While a lot of people complain about multi card setups without having ever run them, I have used multi GPU rigs since they were first available and needed external dongles instead of bridges. In that whole time period, the only game I EVER had to totally disable CF to improve framerates was the MMO Champions Online, which used a ground up custom engine with no thought whatsoever for multi card rendering. Thats not saying all games always got the full improvement of the second card, but it never hurt anything. You may not always get the complete bonus until they optimize it further through driver updates, but you can set your drivers to use multi-GPU setups in ANY game, whether or not it has a profile available to fully optimize it.

I would still get the best card you can currently afford, and then to stretch its usefulness get a cheap used version of it a year or so down the road. That is what I have been doing, and it works great.

660ti looks like it will be a good buy for the money, and I expect used ones to only run around 200 bucks within the next few months when the constant upgraders throw theirs up for sale.

::EDIT:: Oh, and my GF has to disable crossfire on her rig to play Plants vs Zombies since it flickers with it on :lol:.

SLI is supposed to be even more compatible, so I don't know why so many people have problems with it.

Edited by Puck

I love dual setups, never really had an issues except for the odd game.

I found the AMD side to be more picky but they have gotten a lot better over the last year or so.