X58 Chipsets suck

Here are my current settings, wow didn't realize how high my QPI already was, sadly I was too busy yesterday to change anything but I snapped my settings before leaving for work so we could assess them

Bios725-1.jpg

Bios725-2.jpg

Bios725-3.jpg

Bios725-4.jpg

Bios725-5.jpg

yep ill send ya 6 sticks (two sets) 3x2gb 6-8-6-24 t1. I have 3 sets of them so you wont completly kill the hole rig :thumbsup: they also overclock like no mans business, i was hitting 2100mhz at 9-11-9-28 t1 think i almost hit 2200mhz, its somwhere in the 3dmark 11 forum like page 14 -16 or something like that. think it was merc and i having a battle to see who could get their ram the highest

Ok I'll let you know if I shall choose to try that, I've never had great overclocking memory (unless I just never mastered the art?) but it's never bothered me. So many timing settings still scare me, I still don't know what all they do. haha

gee what are you running to need 16Gbs? i say keep the 12 and sail the old sticks.... ( is it just me but 12 is over kill ) like me wanting to use 2 SSDs right? ( i still think it would work great )

I don't need to run all 18GB but figured it'd be better, though they do seem to be selling for more then I thought they would. I could definitely live with 12GB and getting half of what I paid for the new sticks back from selling the old ones.

Mixed RAM is okay as long as you set the voltage and timing to accommodate for the mismatch. Whichever set has the higher voltage, use that. Whichever set has the slower speed/timings, use them (this is usually automatic, the voltage is not).

:withstupid: I may still set the timings manually, though the bios reports them correctly, atleast for all the timing settings I know of for them.

You are going to have to work the QPI v the IOH v and probably play with driving strengths and really get into tweaking to get that odd combo to work.

Driving strengths??

I'm running my QPI at 1.3v, DRAM Bus at 1.65v, and PLL set to auto. Currently trying IOH set to auto for the fun of it, but it was at 1.3 before I backed it down. P6X58D-E motherboard.

Maybe I'll bump my IOH first since my QPI is actually high already.

QPI / VTT - I can't imagine that you would need more than 1.35v for DDR3 1600Mhz speeds, regardless of capacity. I only used higher than that when getting 12Gb of DDR3 2000 memory up and running stable (ASRock X58 Extreme / Asus P6X58D-Premium / MSI X58 Big Bang). I didn't realize that you were already running your memory at 1.65v, so not sure I'd bump it all the way to 1.70v to start with. I'm allowing for a little voltage droop so maybe tack on the next increment that your BIOS allows - .02 etc. if you have that level of granularity. Additionally, even though your BIOS appears to be setting your 4 primary timings OK, I would go ahead and manually input the primary timings (the slowest of the two kits as mentioned above) and I see that you are running 1T (1N) timing. Change that to 2N.

yep ill send ya 6 sticks (two sets) 3x2gb 6-8-6-24 t1. I have 3 sets of them so you wont completly kill the hole rig :thumbsup: they also overclock like no mans business, i was hitting 2100mhz at 9-11-9-28 t1 think i almost hit 2200mhz, its somwhere in the 3dmark 11 forum like page 14 -16 or something like that. think it was merc and i having a battle to see who could get their ram the highest

Yeah but at those speeds i was using 1.55 and even 1.6 QPI to run at those speeds and timings... Point is for X58 QPI voltage is extremely important for 6 sticks or high speeds... Or both... Lol.

I forgot about our little memory battle... That was fun cheers.gif

• Like 1

Complaining that it will not run on Auto settings is akin to attempting to drive a car then wondering why it wont start because you do not turn the key. I have needed upwards of 1.5v QPI depending on the speed and timings of the kit I have tested. You will need to manually tweak your settings to improve compatibility. :mfp:

$10 says changing the 1T rate to 2T will solve nearly everything. I've given up on running 1T with half full banks or more.

And that is why we buy mushkin ram ;)

In all seriousness though you are probably right.

I was having these same problems on my x58 board. I just decided to run 12GB of memory and leave it at that. I read a lot about mixed ram is just a horrible idea on X58. It had something to do with a bad memory controller because the intel people never truly perfected the triple channel memory.

Honestly, the best thing you could do is see if you can sell off the 6Gb of memory and buy another 12GB of ram. I would do that quickly too because if you don't, you could miss the opportunity to buy the same stepping as your 12GB kit, and then it would be back to square one......trust me.

And that is why we buy mushkin ram

You might. :lol: RAM is RAM to me, I just buy what I need and tweak the timings to get it to run properly if it gives me trouble. The trouble part doesn't happen very often, but I gave up on running 1T timing rates back when I was still running regular DDR. I haven't touched a board or cpu capable of running multiple sticks at 1T since the switch to DDR2.

Command rate became irrelevant when the NF2 through NF4 chipsets went EOL :)

:withstupid: The last board I had that could actually manage a 1T command rate at CAS 2 timings was an NF4 board. :P

And that is why we buy mushkin ram ;)

Just picked up a set of mushkin 2x4gb 7-7-7-24 t1 for my new build, this will be my 7th set of mushkin ram

3 sets of 3x2gb 6-8-6-24 t1 1.65v x58 system

1 set of 2x4gb 9-9-9-24 t1 1.5v used in a family build

1 set of 2x4gb 7-8-7-24 t1 1.65v used in primary rig

1 set of 2x4gb 9-9-9-24 t1 1.35v used in secondary rig

1 set of 2x4gb 7-7-7-24 t1 1.5v used for my new mini itx build

i guess im just luck but all of the m auto config and work as soon as you plug them in with no tweeking unless i overclock them

You might. :lol: RAM is RAM to me, I just buy what I need and tweak the timings to get it to run properly if it gives me trouble. The trouble part doesn't happen very often, but I gave up on running 1T timing rates back when I was still running regular DDR. I haven't touched a board or cpu capable of running multiple sticks at 1T since the switch to DDR2.

I have had good luck with just about every manufacturers stuff. Some better than others and it really came down to consistency and long term performance