X58 Chipsets suck

So I'm at a crossroads, recently I bought a kit of 12GB (3x4GB) sticks to max out my machine's available slots only to find out most of the memory was not being recognized (had this probably occasionally with my 6GB where it would sometimes read 4GB). So after reading that this is a problem with the X58 chipset when you overclock sometimes. I had gotten all 18GB to show up but had to lower my CPU multi to 3.4ghz, 3.6ghz will still show the memory right but will blue screen at random (unstable for sure).

Now if I pull the 3 old sticks, I can run my 4.2ghz overclock again, no problems, and no blue screens so I'm not sure what to do.

I can either

A. Sell off my old sticks and accept a double memory increase instead of triple but keep my high CPU overclock.

B. Keep all the memory and run the CPU slower at 3.4ghz.

C. Attempt to rebuild my OC (I'd settle for just 4.0ghz, if 4.2ghz is too much of a pain) back up by raising the necessary voltages (which I'm not even sure where to start...since the memory or memory controller I would think to be at fault, though dropping the CPU speed is what helped re-stabilize the system and extra CPU volts did not help at all to fix the blue screens at 3.6ghz...).

I'm pretty sure option B is out of the question, since 12GB is still plenty and the CPU speed would be more important overall. I just don't know if I'd rather aim to get the $20ish via sale of the old sticks or have super high memory quantity and a high CPU overclock (if it's even possible with this accursed chipset)

So I'm at a crossroads, recently I bought a kit of 12GB (3x4GB) sticks to max out my machine's available slots only to find out most of the memory was not being recognized (had this probably occasionally with my 6GB where it would sometimes read 4GB). So after reading that this is a problem with the X58 chipset when you overclock sometimes. I had gotten all 18GB to show up but had to lower my CPU multi to 3.4ghz, 3.6ghz will still show the memory right but will blue screen at random (unstable for sure).

Now if I pull the 3 old sticks, I can run my 4.2ghz overclock again, no problems, and no blue screens so I'm not sure what to do.

I can either

A. Sell off my old sticks and accept a double memory increase instead of triple but keep my high CPU overclock.

B. Keep all the memory and run the CPU slower at 3.4ghz.

C. Attempt to rebuild my OC (I'd settle for just 4.0ghz, if 4.2ghz is too much of a pain) back up by raising the necessary voltages (which I'm not even sure where to start...since the memory or memory controller I would think to be at fault, though dropping the CPU speed is what helped re-stabilize the system and extra CPU volts did not help at all to fix the blue screens at 3.6ghz...).

I'm pretty sure option B is out of the question, since 12GB is still plenty and the CPU speed would be more important overall. I just don't know if I'd rather aim to get the $20ish via sale of the old sticks or have super high memory quantity and a high CPU overclock (if it's even possible with this accursed chipset)

qpi volts?

I ran 12 just fine at 4.2

qpi volts?

I ran 12 just fine at 4.2

12GB in what configuration?? 6x2GB or 3x4GB, because I can run 3x4GB (0-4-0-4-0-4) at 4.2ghz but not 6 sticks (2-4-2-4-2-4)

Yeah I'll have to look up what I'm running for the QPI volts, I could have swore I did a quick bump to them but I'll see when I get home

Same, i ran 12GB on my i7 950 when i had it, coming from 6 to 12 will be a big jump, just sell off / repurpose the old sticks

Probably what I'll do since it will both serve to pay off some of the new memory's investment but also I have a feeling it'd be hell (if even possible at all) to overclock to 4-4.2ghz with all 6 sticks in)

Edited by IVIYTH0S

both with 24gb and 48gb (6x4gb and 6x8gb) I had to bump the VTT and IOH up a bit. really it's just to get 4ghz stable and i realized that at stock it wasn't stable unless I push the voltage up on those.

Second I think it depends on the MB. the Asrock I hated all brands but Gskills with all slots filled. The Evga x58 I had ran 48gb with stock everything. I hope you figure it out but I suggest use the same brand for all the sticks and do a small voltage boost on the VTT.

Edit: Your sig says you have OCZ ram. If thats the case....than thats why. I just threw out 12gb not to long ago because OCZ ran is junk and didn't like any X58 I put them in.

Edited by hornybluecow

both with 24gb and 48gb (6x4gb and 6x8gb) I had to bump the VTT and IOH up a bit. really it's just to get 4ghz stable and i realized that at stock it wasn't stable unless I push the voltage up on those.

Second I think it depends on the MB. the Asrock I hated all brands but Gskills with all slots filled. The Evga x58 I had ran 48gb with stock everything. I hope you figure it out but I suggest use the same brand for all the sticks and do a small voltage boost on the VTT.

Edit: Your sig says you have OCZ ram. If thats the case....than thats why. I just threw out 12gb not to long ago because OCZ ran is junk and didn't like any X58 I put them in.

The first sticks are very similar if not exactly these (OCZ):

$T2eC16N,!%29UE9s3wBeW9BP-,7j6dFw~~60_57.JPG

The newly install sticks are these (Patriot):

20-220-477-02.jpg

Other then the timing mismatch (OCZ-CL8 and Patriot-CL9), as long as I run them both at the Patriot's timings it shouldn't be a problem. The OCZ sticks have been fine for me up until now though and I've used them (OCZ RAM) in my last 775 machine too without any problems, noted that they weren't stellar overclocking but then again, RAM overclocking is a mystery to me. (and I don't really care to go through the hassle since it affects very little in the end scheme of things)

What are you running for your VTT/QPI and IOH voltages to get an idea of what I should be trying, I don't want to add too much voltage.

If it's CPU speed or memory, I'll go with CPU speed. But figure I'd attempt to get all around benefits

Edited by IVIYTH0S

Hornybluecow: Your sig says you have OCZ ram. If thats the case....than thats why. I just threw out 12gb not to long ago because OCZ ran is junk and didn't like any X58 I put them in.

I have three asus boards runing Mushkin ram, my primary rig in my sig runs 12gb of ram and im able to overclock the cpu to over 4.6 and the ram has hit over 2200mhz. Its really a trial and error with the x58 board to find the brand each board likes. Since ive had my asus R3E board ive gone through every brand of ram and Mushkin is the best ive found, it reads all sticks and they overclock very well. If you can try and find someone that has some and try them out or go out on a limb and buy a set.

Edit: If you cant find any send me a pm I have a set of 3x2gb sitting around

Edited by olokul

Hornybluecow: Your sig says you have OCZ ram. If thats the case....than thats why. I just threw out 12gb not to long ago because OCZ ran is junk and didn't like any X58 I put them in.

I have three asus boards runing Mushkin ram, my primary rig in my sig runs 12gb of ram and im able to overclock the cpu to over 4.6 and the ram has hit over 2200mhz. Its really a trial and error with the x58 board to find the brand each board likes. Since ive had my asus R3E board ive gone through every brand of ram and Mushkin is the best ive found, it reads all sticks and they overclock very well. If you can try and find someone that has some and try them out or go out on a limb and buy a set.

Edit: If you cant find any send me a pm I have a set of 3x2gb sitting around

I assume you're talking about your 950 machine and not your 2600K right?? I'm not too worried about if I can't get all 6 sticks to run at once as 12GB is still a lot of memory but I will try to stabilize with my max OC and 18GB.

+1

The first sticks are very similar if not exactly these (OCZ):

[image]

And those exact sticks are the ones I had to toss out because my x58 machine wouldn't recognize all 3 sticks and eventually they all went bad. I switched to G.Skill, have had no issues at all, and haven't looked back.

yeah sorry after i did the post i went in and changed my sig. so yes it is now my third rig, I have 3 sets of 3x2gb 6-8-6-24 t1. I had an EVGA E758-A1 3-Way SLI that was running 12gb of gskill ram on had the same problem, gave the hole system to my brother cause i was tired of f'n around with it trying to get the ram to work. picked up the R3E board and had the same problems barrowed ram from multiple friends OCZ, Geil, Gskill, Corsair, Mushkin. Found mushkin to be the best and have never looked back, once i found out that mushkin worked i tried them in the evga board found all 12gb right away with no playing in the bios. put the gskill back in and on each reboot it would find different amounts each time.

If you want ill send you two sets to try out just shoot me a pm with your address

Personally I'd go with 12Gb of memory at the higher memory and cpu frequency. I really can't see you doing much that would require more than 12Gb of memory. But I do contest your claim that the X58 chipset is junk :)

I've owned several x58 based boards and for the most part they were good to great. I don't think it's a chipset problem as much as the integrated memory controller on the cpu. In my experience high memory clocks or high memory capacities/densities always required a bump in the QPI/VTT voltage and sometimes IOH voltage too.

Further complicated in your situation by the miss-matched SPD info the BIOS is reading from your two different memory kits. You can set the primary timings and adjust the voltage in an attempt to get both kits to play pretty, but there are still all of those secondary memory settings that the BIOS is attempting to set.

Heck, I found in almost 100% of the cases if I went from 6Gb to even 12Gb on an i7 9X series processor that I had to reduce my memory frequency, or cpu speed in order to maintain the stability of my overclock. To my knowledge the only users not affected as much by this were those running extreme versions of the socket 1366 processors. Guess they had better memory controllers than the vanilla i7 9X series processors but that is only speculation on my part.