AMD 940 be and 560 gtx ( Fermi )

ok ty for reading this.. here is my setup to start out with....

Mobo is a ASUS M3N72-D duel Sli,
AMD 940 quad core 3.5 overclocked
CPU, 125 watts
1 LG 22" LCD 10,000 to 1. 2 ms,
COOLING MASTER CPU COOLER gemin 2 s,
2 EVGA 9800 GTXs + super clock GPUs....
Cooler Master PSU 750W real power,
2 WD HDD 500 G @ 7200 RPMS ( IN RAID 0 ),
MUSHIIN MEM DDR2 2GX2 @ 1066,
ANTEC 300 CASE.....

I need to update my GPU, its been to long. re: 9800s. i am looking at the 560 gtx ( Fermi ) http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121446 or the 550ti. Would like to know well the 560 bottleneck my CPU?

I know i need to update my MOBO & CPU at some time so i want to start out with the GPU

Edited by towhog66

that may be a little bottleneck but not much... get the GPU that you like and upgrade the CPU and board later....

one of my kids is running that exact same set up with a GTX460 and it does very well

It might be worth grabbing another 4 GB of RAM for cheap too. The 560 will be great with that CPU...definitely a huge upgrade from 9800s.

It's probably not worth the hassle unless you play PhysX games a lot. The extra power draw and heat dump isn't insubstantial with a 9800GTX.

It's probably not worth the hassle unless you play PhysX games a lot. The extra power draw and heat dump isn't insubstantial with a 9800GTX.

right i play batman AA and soon AC?

Your 940 won't bottleneck the 560 at all, my friend's C2D can keep his 460 overclocked happy and he runs 1080P 3D Vision.

I'd skip the physx card, just overclock the 560 a tiny bit and there's whatever performance you *may* get with the physx card....but that can be applied to any task except your power draw and case space/heat management is FAR less

• Like 1

It might be worth grabbing another 4 GB of RAM for cheap too. The 560 will be great with that CPU...definitely a huge upgrade from 9800s.

it seems to like the 4gbs of ram i have. ( more ram? ) wouldn't that be over kill?

it seems to like the 4gbs of ram i have. ( more ram? ) wouldn't that be over kill?

The more RAM you have the less stuttering you'll see in-game when assets are loaded in the background. I saw a pretty decent drop in stuttering going from 4 GB to 8 GB. It might be worth it if you can find new sticks for cheap. :cheers:

The more RAM you have the less stuttering you'll see in-game when assets are loaded in the background. I saw a pretty decent drop in stuttering going from 4 GB to 8 GB. It might be worth it if you can find new sticks for cheap. :cheers:

ok ill look in to it after i fine a good SSD drive..... ( 120gb ) good speed. any thought?

Edited by towhog66

ok ill look in to it after i fine a good SSD drive..... ( 120gb ) good speed. any thought?

The cheapest pretty much. Post up the one you're thinking about, but really when it comes down to it most of them would have you splitting hairs trying to find a real life performance difference.

Edited by IVIYTH0S
  • Like 1