A new system for a Friend

vandreadstriker

Hey guys,

A friend of mine asked me to help him build a new system for him. This will be his first custom-made system and he doesn't yet have much knowledge in overclocking but is very interested in trying them.

Since he's still a newcomer, I was thinking of coming up with something 'noob-proof' so to speak, so that he wouldn't have much trouble in learning how to build his own system and overclocking it.

I'll also be posting on his behalf since for some reason he's reluctant to join OCC (for now at least.)

Anyway, thought that I'll just make it similar to my planned rig.. Here's what I've come up with for now:

ASUS P8Z77-V Pro - IDR 2603k (~US$270)

Intel Core i5 3570K - IDR 2233k (~US$232)

Corsair Vengeance LP Blue 8GB - IDR 551k (~US$57)

Phanteks PH-TC14PE Blue - IDR 800k (~US$83)

Total: IDR 6187K (~US$643)

His total budget was ~IDR 7.5M but I've already secured him an OCZ Vertex4 128GB since I got it for cheap (~US$105). That leaves me with ~IDR 6.45M (~US$670)

He said that he would not need any case since he wants to 'show off' his components so he'll be setting it up on a small, two storey coffee table in his room. I though that it wouldn't be a problem since an open air system could also benefit from the air around it.

Also, he's saving up for a GTX670 so for now he'll be using my flashed 6950 for a while until he can get a 670.

We'll be getting the parts from either of these: http://www.waroengkom.com/ & http://www.nanokomputer.com/

Any help/advice on where I could improve/save money/make it more 'noob-proof' would be very much appreciated.

Thanks! :cheers:

Edit: He would use it only for gaming and occasionally some stuff that needs more horsepower (like video/picture editing for his projects). In his own words: a 'semi-gaming rig' .

Edited by vandreadstriker

actually I only see two things wrong with this build, and I am pretty sure you already have it covered, but what about a power supply and possibly a HDD?

Oh crap I forgot to add them :doh:. I was thinking of giving him my FSP Epsilon 80+ Silver 600W while I go get a Seasonic M12II 750W.. But now that I think of it again, should I get him a bigger wattage instead? I know that since he's going to get a 670, 600W should be fine but just in case?

As for HDD, we're going to salvage them from his old PC..

Oh crap I forgot to add them :doh:. I was thinking of giving him my FSP Epsilon 80+ Silver 600W while I go get a Seasonic M12II 750W.. But now that I think of it again, should I get him a bigger wattage instead? I know that since he's going to get a 670, 600W should be fine but just in case?

As for HDD, we're going to salvage them from his old PC..

The GTX 670 takes up very little power. You should have ample energy with a 600-650 watt PSU.