Video Crashes During Gaming

Hi all,

I have had a really annoying issue with Radeon graphics cards, in that my screen will randomly go blank during gaming, particularly during fairly graphically-intensive scenes, and what sounds like static comes from the speakers, I assume it was a problem with the video cards I have been using, as the rig I am using is under 3 months old. The CPU peaks at 42C during gaming, the HDD remains at 34C, and the GPU peaks at 56.5C, which I understand are fairly normal temperatures. The system specs are in my signature if anyone needs them.

I thought the issue would be resolved when I bought a new GPU, however the issue has recurred, hence making me apprehensive about purchasing a HD7770 that some other users on this forum have recommended.

If anyone has experienced or has a fix for this problem, please let me know!

EuroFight

P.S.

- Drivers are up-to-date

- System has been brought back to stock speeds to attempt to reduce the issue without success

- Memtest86 returned 0 errors

- Chkdisk returned 0 errors

Edited by EuroFight

Hi all,

I have had a really annoying issue with Radeon graphics cards, in that my screen will randomly go blank during gaming, particularly during fairly graphically-intensive scenes, and what sounds like static comes from the speakers, I assume it was a problem with the video cards I have been using, as the rig I am using is under 3 months old. The CPU peaks at 42C during gaming, the HDD remains at 34C, and the GPU peaks at 56.5C, which I understand are fairly normal temperatures. The system specs are in my signature if anyone needs them.

I thought the issue would be resolved when I bought a new GPU, however the issue has recurred, hence making me apprehensive about purchasing a HD7770 that some other users on this forum have recommended.

If anyone has experienced or has a fix for this problem, please let me know!

EuroFight

P.S.

- Drivers are up-to-date

- System has been brought back to stock speeds to attempt to reduce the issue without success

- Memtest86 returned 0 errors

- Chkdisk returned 0 errors

I posted the exact same issue a long while ago, but with my 4870.

I did 2 things that let me play with no issues, first of all i underclocked the card, both the CPU and RAM, this served me well for a while but it started doing it again. Now, I've been able to play for hours and hours, with my case open and a big fan pointed to it.

There is a lot of ppl with the exact same issue but with no solid solution. Hope this works for you and good luck!.

Can you run the OCCT power supply test without any problems? Is your system Prime95 stable? How about IntelBurnTest (2 GB of RAM setting, at least 15 passes).

What drivers are you using and have you tried different drivers ? Sometimes the latest AMD drivers arent the best for stability.

Does the sound loop when these crashes occur ? And do you have to reboot to get rid of the crash or can you just Ctrl+Alt+Del out of the game or is it completely frozen ?

Edited by Midnight Rider
  • Like 1

What drivers are you using and have you tried different drivers ? Sometimes the latest AMD drivers arent the best for stability.

Does the sound loop when these crashes occur ? And do you have to reboot to get rid of the crash or can you just Ctrl+Alt+Del out of the game or is it completely frozen ?

I am running Catalyst 12.1, tried Catalyst 12.5 and the same issue occured, hence why I tried 12.1. The sound does not loop, but continues for about 5 sec, before the noise begins. The PC is completely frozen and needs to be rebooted after the issue.

Can you run the OCCT power supply test without any problems? Is your system Prime95 stable? How about IntelBurnTest (2 GB of RAM setting, at least 15 passes).

I don't have any experience with OCCT, and am not particularly knowledgeable about power supplies, however the voltages do appear to be a bit strange. I have run it for about half an hour, and have attached the results folder for you to look at.

IntelBurnTest appears to be okay too, the results are also attached.

What games are you playing that are crashing?

Namely Crysis, Battlefield: Bad Company 2, Battlefield: Play4Free, World of Tanks, World of Warplanes

It does not usually occur on Minecraft or Flight Simulator X (Which leads me to believe it is more of a GPU problem, as neither are particularly graphically demanding)

Euro - those power supply readings do look strange, but I've seen OCCT do similar things on other power supplies too. My best guess here is that those values are way off what is actually happening with your unit. The most reliable way to check you power supply is to connect a multimeter to leads in a spare molex and check your 12v output with the PC at idle and at load. Alpine is an unknown brand to me, so I can't speak as to the quality of the power supply you're using. However, I would point out that if it is an off brand that I haven't heard of there is a good chance that it is a marginal power supply at best.

Ideally there are a few areas you should immediately address for testing purposes.

Clear CMOS and set all BIOS values back to their default (your sig. indicates that you are currently overclocking your CPU)

Check and make sure that you are running the latest BIOS release for your motherboard (if not flash to the latest)

Grab a digital multimeter and check your 12v rail with the PC at idle and under load. Normal range would be 12v +/- 5%, but ideally under load it should be somewhere between 11.9v and 12.1v with some fudging room on the high side.

There are drivers even newer than 12.5 so maybe try 12.6 WHQL or 12.7 beta and see if they work

The issue appears to be reduced in Catalyst 12.6, however it has not completely gone away

Euro - those power supply readings do look strange, but I've seen OCCT do similar things on other power supplies too. My best guess here is that those values are way off what is actually happening with your unit. The most reliable way to check you power supply is to connect a multimeter to leads in a spare molex and check your 12v output with the PC at idle and at load. Alpine is an unknown brand to me, so I can't speak as to the quality of the power supply you're using. However, I would point out that if it is an off brand that I haven't heard of there is a good chance that it is a marginal power supply at best.

Ideally there are a few areas you should immediately address for testing purposes.

Clear CMOS and set all BIOS values back to their default (your sig. indicates that you are currently overclocking your CPU)

Check and make sure that you are running the latest BIOS release for your motherboard (if not flash to the latest)

Grab a digital multimeter and check your 12v rail with the PC at idle and under load. Normal range would be 12v +/- 5%, but ideally under load it should be somewhere between 11.9v and 12.1v with some fudging room on the high side.

:thx:

I reflashed the BIOS, and tested the voltage, it seems fine at the moment, I will see if it changes over time, as the OCCT appeared to have a point at which it began to become unstable.

I can also properly test the Catalyst 12.6 fix...CRYSIS HERE I COME! :cheers:

:thx:

I reflashed the BIOS, and tested the voltage, it seems fine at the moment, I will see if it changes over time, as the OCCT appeared to have a point at which it began to become unstable.

I can also properly test the Catalyst 12.6 fix...CRYSIS HERE I COME! :cheers:

Hey man, glad you could find some answers!. Can you confirm if this fixed it for good plz?. Thanks and good luck!.

Hey man, glad you could find some answers!. Can you confirm if this fixed it for good plz?. Thanks and good luck!.

The Catalyst fix seems to reduce the issue, however does not completely bypass it from what I have seen.

I was going to wait until I do some more extensive tests today before confirming, but from what I can see it is much better!

Thanks all of you! +1