Windows Gadgets

Shurman292

If you haven't heard, Microsoft is "temporarily" killing all sidebar and gadget applications due to the possibility of security exploits. This news saddens me greatly as I love my monitoring gadgets. Who knows how long Microsoft will leave gadgets under the rug...

The question now is: what is your favorite alternative to Microsoft Gadgets? I've seen one in particular that I would love to try out, but can't remember the name of it for the life of me. Plus, I'm not sure it will work after one applies the Fixit described in the above article.

ya, you can get REALLY complicated with your rainmeter layouts. Here's a pic of my desktop back when I ran it.

Every graph and indicator on the desktop is functional

2010desktop.jpg

Rainmeter is nice if you like having all that info available to you on the desktop. It can be configured to look pretty nice as well.

Yes that is the program I was thinking of! Do you have any tips or favorite skins that you like to use? I'll have to play around with it more tonight when I get home.

ya, you can get REALLY complicated with your rainmeter layouts. Here's a pic of my desktop back when I ran it.

Every graph and indicator on the desktop is functional

How do you replace the taskbar? I'm trying to make mine look like the enigma

Rainmeter is awesome. But I fail to see how any executable 3rd party program is any safer from exploits, viruses or malware than desktop gadgets. Microsoft doesn't make any sense to me. I finally broke down last year and started using desktop gadgets and had a few that I really really liked and considered very helpful in my day to day. Quick Launch, Weather and Calendar. Pretty standard stuff really and all were downloaded from the Windows Gadget store.

I still think it's a MS conspiracy. Cry wolf over desktop gadgets so they can prep everyone for their conspicuous absence in Windows 8.

Rainmeter is awesome. But I fail to see how any executable 3rd party program is any safer, or any less safe than desktop gadgets. Microsoft doesn't make any sense to me. I finally broke down last year and started using desktop gadgets and had a few that I really really liked and considered very helpful in my day to day. Quick Launch, Weather and Calendar. Pretty standard stuff really and all were downloaded from the Windows Gadget store.

I still think it's a MS conspiracy. Cry wolf over desktop gadgets so they can prep everyone for their conspicuous absence in Windows 8.

I agree with you wevs. At first I though it could be legitimate, but then I read that they would be left out of Windows 8. I may just continue using them, though Rainmeter does look awesome.

Like anyone is actually going to buy Win8 anyways.

Just because they can be a security risk doesn't mean they are. The ones I'm running are proven safe and I got them from reliable sources. They aren't magically going to turn into malicious software on their own. :lol:

Most of the reason they are "unsafe" now is because Microsoft shut down their official gadget repository a while back so pretty much anything you want now has to be third-party. That's the real cause for this. :lol: