SSD controllers, synchronous vs. asynchronous

Almost all SATA II and III SSD's are good for the general user. The only reason to get the top-most performing one is for specific purposes. The Crucial M4 is a very good SSD, and their prices in the last couple of weeks have been the best per GB (512GB for $350, 256GB for $150, etc).

@Waco, while I never advocated RAID 0 before, I am impressed with the sequential speed boosts, and it's noticeable. I may write a blog article doing real-world tests when I get the time.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@Waco, while I never advocated RAID 0 before, I am impressed with the sequential speed boosts, and it's noticeable. I may write a blog article doing real-world tests when I get the time.

I've got to ask what you're doing to make it noticeable. In gaming and general use I have yet to feel a real difference between my SRT setup and my RAID 0 array of Vertex 3s. :teehee:

I've got to ask what you're doing to make it noticeable. In gaming and general use I have yet to feel a real difference between my SRT setup and my RAID 0 array of Vertex 3s. :teehee:

Well, yeah, you won't see that much of a difference in games (games sometimes faster) and general use. Once you start moving files around, particularly photos, videos, or deploying code, you'll notice it more (more for productivity users or software engineers). Back-ups and restoring back-ups are also much, much faster. I'm pretty much all SSD's now (only 3 systems still have HDD's), and for quick back-ups and restores, I just put them on an SSD now (then transfer them over to a HDD RAID 10 array for redundancy and backing up back-ups - I'm critical of my data).

I'm limited by gigabit for backups and restores (they're hosted on my HTPC), so I don't really see much difference at all for that. Compiling software doesn't seem to matter much nor does VMWare. Moving files, of course, will be faster on a pure SSD array but I don't really move around massive amounts of data all that often. Do you? :P

I'm limited by gigabit for backups and restores (they're hosted on my HTPC), so I don't really see much difference at all for that. Compiling software doesn't seem to matter much nor does VMWare. Moving files, of course, will be faster on a pure SSD array but I don't really move around massive amounts of data all that often. Do you? :P

I have a lot of systems, and most of it for work. I do all my backups and restores locally, then move them to my server (faster that way). Compiling software takes about a second, lol, it's ridiculously fast. I move a lot of data around, especially when I'm editing photos and videos. I guess it depends on the stuff that you're doing.

How about the Crucial M4? I've been thinking about this one for my laptop i'm going to buy soon. Or are there better drives for the money?

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16820148443

Another vote for the Crucial M4. I'm actually surprised it took some one else this far into thread before mentioning it.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820148530

Heh thats pretty much why I was leaning towards the Crucial. I trust them more than OCZ. The OCZ drive might be better but Crucial has a better reputation imo. Thats why I dropped the $500 on my Intel drive rather than a cheaper one that could have been less reliable at the time.

Well seeing how I still have 2 x 1tb WD drives and a Vertex 2 SSD If my Vertex 4 goes out and needs a RMA, I'll have the ability to keep up and running.

@ Coors correct Crucial does seem to have a better reputation than OCZ at the moment. I've had to deal with the bad side of OCZ but I'm positive their doing it right with their Vertex 4 drives at the moment. I haven't seen alot of problems related to the Vertex 4 on their official forums as of late compared to the old Vertex 2 drives and such.

Quick question would a mail in rebate render your SSD's warranty void? Since you have to cut out the UPC code? Or it it completely fine.