Best Motherboard/CPU testing tool

Okay guys hopeing someone here knows a good mobo tester and a good cpu tester, I am going to test mem with memtest 86 shortly.

I am getting completely random blue screens of death even with no OC, usually as page fault in a non-paged area but all drives checkout with hdd tune scans fine even on the long run.

Prime 95 is okay it does not error unless the whole system blue screens, page fault in unpaged area and so goes with any of tools below and in games, but completely at random so some nights no crashes other nights I cannot escape them. They do seem to happen more often when the system is underload, but not always as it even happen sometimes when I am just browsing.

Anyway other tools used, and info.

FurMark runs fine until the whole system blue screens, but it usually takes like 7hrs for that to happen in furmark.

RMA'ed my GTX460 as it had issue and put in a 550ti in the mean time and that helped a bit it seemed but still getting completely random bluescreens.

btw they replaced my GTX460 with a GTX560ti soc white edition I haven't installed yet as I want to figure out what is going wrong, before putting my shinny new card in.

check for spyware clean, virus scan clean, scan disk clean, optimized the SSD and scanned is clean, HDDs disk clean upped and defragged clean.

Also

specs below

Asus M4A77TD PRO Version 1104

AMD 965 black edition @ 3.8ghz 1.47-1.5volts revision RB-C3 Temps never goes above 55C cooled by Zalman CNPS9900

Memory 16GB quad channel kit DDR3 1600 from crucial @ 1600 timings 9-9-9-24 41 2T 1.5V

550TI from gigabyte

PC Power and Cooling 750 watt crossfire edition voltages seem stable from all the sensors - link to psu as it is out of production now as far as I know.

100GB Revo drive for OS

500GB From samsung

2TB From samsung

Haf932

LG dvd burner

Running Windows 7 Pro 64-bit

Any help would be appreciated I don't want to just start replacing parts trying to figure it out.

Hmm, I was gonna say PSU since the more efficient GPU improved things but the Silencer should EASILY handle your setup, even with time induced degradation.

I killed my Silencer....but it took a Q9450 @4.0Ghz with voltages set to auto (lol), a 4870x2, 4GB of memory (badass) and an 8800GT for Physx which had to of at LEAST had me sitting at the max rated draw but add to that the unit wasn't brand new and obviously wouldn't produce it's rated specs anymore...

ANYWAY, enough about me. I'd say find an AM3 buddy to swap parts with, have you messed around with the memory (aka removed and tested each stick alone), and I'd still try a friend's PSU just because. I'm going to assume you've cleaned and reinstalled graphics drivers too right??

Edited by IVIYTH0S

Hirens boot CD has a bunch of hardware diagnostic tools, but the best testing software for motherboards and CPUs is on MRI 5.7.0 .

Unfortunately the only way to get a hold of that (legally) is if you have a friend that works for geek squad that can get you the disk.

If not, just go with hirens.

Hirens boot CD has a bunch of hardware diagnostic tools, but the best testing software for motherboards and CPUs is on MRI 5.7.0 .

Unfortunately the only way to get a hold of that (legally) is if you have a friend that works for geek squad that can get you the disk.

:withstupid: Hirens is god, I had to crack my Boss's cousin's laptop password and then it was invaluable in imaging over my sister's mac hdd to another (just try doing this in Win7). I'm so glad I updated my Hirens DVD-RW haha, I want to put it on my usb drive I carry everywhere, it's like a computer nerd's swiss army knife

:withstupid:

@OP: Just try with Hirens boot CD. It is the best collection of tools available and it is also open source.

Ran some test they have had some interesting but not nesscarily conclusive results pointing, to the ram, cpu or, most likely the mobo.

The ram will operate as single stick in either to inner slots the farthest left spot errors out red all over place in memtest, the farthest right slot refuses to boot all, when the two center slots are occupied no boot, when only module is present in either center slot it will run through memtest with no issues what so ever.

I have tried all modules individually in the center spots one at a time and there are no errors what so ever when just one module present, but if you try to use dual channel no boot what so ever.

So my concern is the ram not capable of dual channel anymore some how? Or is the embed control in the chip doubtful I think as the mem works at all but a possible reason, or is it the mobo based off what appears to be failing ram slots.

I do have a back up rig with a AMD 610e in it and a gigabyte 970x board I will test the mem in and then the chip depending on the rams results.

But any thoughts on whether any of this testing is conclusive so far would be great.

Yeah test them in the other system, it's crazy but I've seen this before and I *think* that's motherboard.

My old Q9450 system started doing this for a friend I sold it too, it'd run single channel fine but dual channel was unstable (even not overclocked). I don't know what causes motherboards to all the sudden decide they don't want to dual channel anymore but they seem to on occasion :mellow:

Definitely sounds like a board/memory controller issue. Can you adjust the CPU memory controller voltage in your BIOS? If so, try bumping it up a few notches (up to 1.55 volts is "safe" according to AMD if you can keep it cool but it's unlikely you'll need more than 1.4 volts). If that doesn't work, I'd swap boards and see if your CPU does better in the other board.

swapping board tomorrow eveing I have a Gigabyte UD3 970 that is known good in my media box I am going to pop the chip and ram into and test, because I had already tried tweaking the voltage to avail.

On a brighter note the board is under warranty and I have started the RMA process for it so if the Gigabyte board proves out that this is a board issue I should be getting a replacement for the cost of shipping.

Edited by spectrascope