SSD Question

MJCRO

My older bro just got a Corsair Force GT 90GB for his work laptop and it's an older Acer with no support for AHCI in the BIOS.

I've heard that SSD's don't last very long without TRIM enabled, is that true?

My older bro just got a Corsair Force GT 90GB for his work laptop and it's an older Acer with no support for AHCI in the BIOS.

I've heard that SSD's don't last very long without TRIM enabled, is that true?

The performance slows down over time. In basic terms TRIM is a function that deletes data off of an SSD. The OS does not delete 100% of the data on an SSD, so data will slowly accumulate over time. If you look at any Sandforce controlled drive, you will notice that the drive will slow down in benchmarks in correlation to how much data is on the drive. It is basically the same issue and it gets worse over time.

There are a couple ways around it. First is that TRIM DOES work in IDE mode. It is just that the drive will loose a tad bit of performance compared to AHCI.

http://benchmarkreviews.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=505&Itemid=38&limit=1&limitstart=12

"But what about SSD TRIM?

TRIM is non-specific to either SATA controller mode, and will work equally well in both IDE and AHCI-mode. Benchmark Reviews will soon publish a detailed report that illustrates the recovery levels for each SSD controller tested here."

The second is if for some reason TRIM does not work there are usually various programs that will allow you to erase selected data completely

From what I have found.... http://eraser.heidi.ie/download.php ... this seems to work. However, I have had absolutely 0 experience with it, so if someone else recommends something, it is probably better :thumbsup: