Hey good lookin,

My dad's 8800GT just outright took a dump and now I reverted him to his onboard graphics for now. I'm thinking of doing my first bake (which it seems odd that almost every card I see dying is an 8800GT and every first bake of people is an 8800GT or similar lol)

He doesn't really game that much but I may back just to see if I'm not recycling this thing, I'll have pics of it all apart later. Gonna go check out the new Harbor Freight nearby haha

Edited by IVIYTH0S

My dad's 8800GT just outright took a dump and now I reverted him to his onboard memory for now. I'm thinking of doing my first bake (which it seems odd that almost every card I see dying is an 8800GT and every first bake of people is an 8800GT or similar lol)

He doesn't really game that much but I may back just to see if I'm not recycling this thing, I'll have pics of it all apart later. Gonna go check out the new Harbor Freight nearby haha

All I have to say is Harbor Freight FTW!

They opened up one in the Bronx near me and ever since then I don't have to get ripped off anymore on Chinese tools. :lol:

Edited by MJCRO

I've baked a couple cards with success.... just make sure you follow them well... too hot or too long and card = toasted.

I cooked a gts250 that died shortly after I received it and its still going strong 4 years later... another I tried didnt last long and had to be RMA'd others i have done are still going I think as i havent heard anything bout it

I had great success reviving a broken 4870X2 from Ebay doing the baking trick...just don't do it for too long. Prepping properly is key as is the cooling of the card (too fast will damage it).

Here's the card apart, not cleaned off (I did the cooler while the card baked then the card and used AS5)

8800Fix-2.jpg

Here's the little guy all ready to be baked.

Oven Setting 375F-ish, 9:30min, oven off for 30secs and then cracked the oven open a smidge and allowed it to slowly cool for 1/2 an hr.

8800Fix-1.jpg

Here's it plugged into my computer (didn't take pics of reassembly because we all know what an 8800GT looks like lol)

8800Fix-3.jpg

And here's it booted in windows runninf perfect :cheers:

8800Fix-4.jpg

In addition to the 8800GT, I also brought my sister's old Macbook back from the dead (just needed a new harddrive, but I had to spend hours figuring out how to transfer her data from her "bad" harddrive to a better one I had sitting around in a Linux bootable environment.....stupid HFS+ :P )

MacFix.jpg

All in all, a quite productive day!!

Edited by IVIYTH0S
  • Like 2

I had intermittent artifacting/refusal to boot on one of my 4870X2's and after a full cleaning, baking, and new thermal pads/paste, its running perfectly fine and all temps are lower then ever, even cooler then brand new. Currently living comfortably in my GFs rig, and hasn't had one hiccup since.

I also think the pads on the voltage circuits are too thin from the factory(besides being terribly cheap), because the new slightly thicker 1mm pads I installed dropped the VDDC temps a TONt...and anyone with a 4870X2 knows that those things COOK themselves even at stock clocks...up to and over 105c :O . Now after playing D3 maxed out they never get above 77, thats a HUGE difference!

• Like 1

Grats nice job at reviving your GPU and getting your sis's laptop up and running.

+1 for Bat cat haha.

Haha thanks, sadly I think she found that picture and it's not her car (who looks identical)

I had intermittent artifacting/refusal to boot on one of my 4870X2's and after a full cleaning, baking, and new thermal pads/paste, its running perfectly fine and all temps are lower then ever, even cooler then brand new. Currently living comfortably in my GFs rig, and hasn't had one hiccup since.

I also think the pads on the voltage circuits are too thin from the factory(besides being terribly cheap), because the new slightly thicker 1mm pads I installed dropped the VDDC temps a TONt...and anyone with a 4870X2 knows that those things COOK themselves even at stock clocks...up to and over 105c :O . Now after playing D3 maxed out they never get above 77, thats a HUGE difference!

How long since the bake, glad to see an X2 still around :)

Yeah, those bastards are no doubt the reason my 4870x2 couldn't overclock one measly bit.