MIcrosoft asks Siri what's the best smart phone ever

El_Capitan

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To debunk your wheel analogy: Apple "improves" the wheel because they don't let the user touch it. "Bad user, how dare you try and run performance tires on this wheel, you use must run the factor outfitted all season tires no matter what because WE feel it's the best for you..."

They shelter their products and their customers so hard that it give the *illusion* of quality through simplicity. It's a smart idea, I'm not discounting that, it's just something I wouldn't be so proud of. Apple doesn't care about their customers LOL, they'll push them to upgrade if there's anything they can't fix.

Again, my infallible wheel analogy (PATENT PENDING :P ): "No loyal customer, you may not put those rims on your car. Sure they may be of a lighter weight alloy, the lug pattern matches your vehicle PERFECTLY, and it will improve every aspect of your car driving experience.....but we're only allowing that for our upcoming 2013 model vehicles, you may no longer use them reliably as you have been." Like really, I used to run an old windows mobile 6.1 Touch Pro when the iPhone 3G was out, and I could run anything I that was available on the newer WM6.5 phones even though my phone was beYOND dated (even being used to it, I cringed at how slow it was lol). Apple purposely withholds features from their devices so that their new devices look good, but this is a step too far. When the app runs flawlessly on its older hardware/software but is STILL taken away to promote their newer 4S....why is this praiseworthy?!

Jailbreaking is probably the only reason someone (who knows better) would buy an older apple device lol

People hate on Apple because it's easy to because they make ALOT of questionable decisions and then get defended by those "clouded by biases, when their arguments are invalid"

The fact that you'll defend them to the grave, yet keep a non functional app logo of something Apple unjustly took from you....well....I feel we have little more to discuss here :mellow:

LOL!

You can do whatever you want to your phone once you have purchased it. Apple isn't going after you for doing so. They frown upon it yes, but they are not forcing anyone to stop. They will make it increasingly more difficult, but the fact of the matter is that they wont be able to stop it. If you want to jailbreak your phone go right ahead, you lose your warranty if you bring it in jailbroken though, just like every other phone warranty out there.

They make the same decisions as Microsoft, Google, Exxon, American Airlines, and every other big name company. The only reason why people care is because they are Apple and it is pure fanboyizm.

I do not live and breath Apple. I am defending them because nobody else will (and because they are my employer now hahaha). Apple has a lot of good qualities that a lot of PC manufactures and other mobile device manufactures lack. The same can be said vice-versa, I am not trying to say that your complaints are invalid, I am simply trying to tell you is that just about every company on the planet dose what Apple dose, Apple just dose it better.

I am a technologist, I consume all forms of technology. I have no favoritism toward any one company. Google has some amazing ideas, Microsoft is a enterprise and business Juggernaut, and Apple has their quality.

If this were a Apple site I would likely be defending PCs, androids, etc more... :D

I don't think they are sheltering their products intentionally, I think it comes as a byproduct of trying to create something that anyone can use. The biggest downfall about openess is that it is so much easier for someone who doesn't know what they are doing to break something. While its great for people like you and me, its not so great for the soccer moms, the baby boomers, grandpas and grandmas, etc of the world. I just sat down with my sisters Galaxy and wow it took me a minute to figure out how to wake the damn thing (granted her case was hiding the sleep/wake button a bit) and I am not one of those people who might not be uber computer geeks like you and me lol.

Apple wants to create a product that is maintenance free, a product that can't get infected, corrupt, crashes, etc, etc... They are focused more on the "It just works" no matter what, and I don't have to worry about it. Granted this isn't the case, but I think its what they aim for when developing products.

Google/Android has its flaws with slow updates across all the products. Fragmentation has been killing the platform. So many manufactures have been creating phones for android, and there are some who feel like certain phones don't need to be updated to the latest release.

Microsoft is still struggling to find their place in the world of mobile devices. The Zune was a flop, Windows XP tablet failed, they got a new tablet coming out that looks pretty interesting, Windows phone has gotten pretty good still could improve a lot though. To be honest I think Microsoft should stay at what they do best, Software and Xboxes :P

Apple has all sorts of issues, their closed environment, the issues with the manufacturing and Chinese workers, the biggest legal team in the world suing for anything that they don't like, etc...

I am well aware of all the issues, I just think that Apple shouldn't be bashed alone, I think all the above deserve equal bashing :D

Edited by greengiant912

The main reason people buy iPods and iPads and iPhones is because all Apple products use the same cable and and almost everything allows you to just plug it in and play the music right off the iPod, iPad, iPhone.

If I want to listen to music off my Android phone in my car I have to plug the phone in, then set to it USB Mass Storage Device, then turn on USB storage, and if I turn off my car then turn it back on again later I can't continue playing where I left off, but with my iPod I can unplug it from my car walk into my house and put it in my iPod dock and continue playing the same song I was listening to in my car. That right there is the #1 reason I bought my iPod.

Edited by slick2500

The main reason people buy iPods and iPads and iPhones is because all Apple products use the same cable and and almost everything allows you to just plug it in and play the music right off the iPod, iPad, iPhone.

If I want to listen to music off my Android phone in my car I have to plug the phone in, then set to it USB Mass Storage Device, then turn on USB storage, and if I turn off my car then turn it back on again later I can't continue playing where I left off, but with my iPod I can unplug it from my car walk into my house and put it in my iPod dock and continue playing the same song I was listening to in my car. That right there is the #1 reason I bought my iPod.

So yeah, if everyone kissed my phone manufacturer's butt...then I'd have mass support too. But I prefer cables that aren't unnecessarily large :lol:...not to mention I just plug in my phone into my car like any MP3 player should, through the aux cable :P

I'm talking more about software application features than the OS. Siri is an application. There's no reason it couldn't run on a non-4s device.

There's a perfectly good reason. I have an iPod 4th gen, installed Siri and even set up my own server, but my iPod's performance went from a Mclaren F1 to a 1990s VW beetle.. The iPhone 4 and iPod 4th gen's RAM just can't handle Siri without taking a toll. If you don't believe me, Jailbreaking is 10 minutes away (depending of OS and Jailbreak method) and installing Spire is just 5 minutes away (depending on internet connection). Immediately after that, you'd know what I'm talking about.

rant

IMO The analogy of iOS vs Android is quite simple. iOS is Windows when Android is Linux (well, it is Linux :biggrin:)

You can't really tweak much with Windows unless you do certain things or in probably easier terms, 'hack it' (read: Jailbreak)

On the other hand, Linux promotes tweaking and making the OS your own, provided you have the knowledge how to do it (read: Rooting)

Even when hacked, there are still 'wider' software limits in Windows compared to Linux in which, almost any software base tweak is possible, provided you know how to do it.

(read: even jailbroken, iOS still has 'wider' software limits compared to Android (or essentially Linux) where you can change almost every software aspect of it, provided you understand the basics of Linux)

I think it's the same principle as to why Airbus makes the Autopilot do everything in the flight envelope and singling out the Pilots and First Officer as merely 'to monitor instruments and not do anything reckless that can kill passengers', while Boeing let's the Pilot override the Autopilot and take control when needed, letting the Pilot themselves to either Danger the Plane or Safe it. Apple gives a product that user can use through certain 'standard procedures' so that Apple themselves have control on what user can do and not do anything stupid/reckless/what ever you call it, while Google lets user have ultimate control over Android, letting them to either Improve or Bust the phone.

What still baffles me is, why do some still bother to lock their Bootloader on Android phones? To protect their 'product'? To stop 'idiots' from tampering with the software and then calling for tech support? Isn't it the same as why Apple does it? (But the difference is, Apple is a more protective of it's babies and employs more 'measures') Honestly, if you written a great tool and fulfilled a great sense of accomplishment, would you want just anybody go and take that tool of yours, and make it 10x greater? I imagine you wouldn't feel too eager about that, would you?

Even though I'm an Apple fanboy, I still think that some of Apple's doings are stupid. Yes they made some things harder like connecting MP3 and moving music/videos etc.. Even if it's to help contain the users, IMO they can really try improving it to more hassle free. Providing in-app purchases that can be easily accessed by children? Good thing I didn't put a credit card on my account.

But some people...

"What the...? It's my phone and now you're telling me I can't use it with my free will? I own the damn thing!

Gluing the batteries on the MacBook? Sure it helps it thinner and cost less but what if the Trackpad got broken? I'd have to replace the whole frickin' thing! And the Glue makes the Aluminum body un-recyclable! You said you met EPEAT standards!?

Selling the 16GB iPad for $499 while the 32GB cost $599? F you! That's only 16GB difference and you want me to pay $100 more!?"

Yet, the fact is, others do the same thing as them. Sony hunts GeoHotz for jailbreaking the PS3 and make him stay within >10 meter of a PS3, Samsung glues their Battery to their Ultrabook and ASUS/Google sells the Nexus 7 starting at $199 for 8GB and $299 for 16GB. And here they told me they're selling them at BOM price.

/rant

Does anyone really understand Singaporeans? ;)

Not really... Singlish is a mix of English + Chinese + Malay + Indonesian.. Some Indian too..

If you're not a Singaporean but can understand two of the above, you'd probably understand 80-90% of what they're talking.. :D

But don't be fooled. When speaking 'real' English, they can be quite cool with their words

Edited by vandreadstriker

Van not sure I followed where you went with all that :P

Ios like windows? Haha why not just ios like Mac os because it is even the phones are like the Macs with everything locked down and non replaceable

And locking bootloaders is a good thing because those that can't unlock it probably should continue on with the rooting and rom flashing :)

I however just sent this from my newly flashed Xperia X10i and it is running the donut HD rom which is the jellybean edition of a mod of the stock gingerbread os. Also have a custom overclocking kernal from doomlord and this beauty is stable at 1228mhz that's a nearly 25%oc haven't finished my undervolting again.

Thanks to some know-how and nice programs I have improved cache file sizes, a decent swap file for better memory management and multitasking and of course my overclock and different power and io managers. Thanks to deep sleep my phone only lost 2% battery over 8hours while not using it.

Its these things which will forever keep me away from apple phones I may consider a windows or symbian phone if they had a phenomanal camera infact I am holding hope for an android version of the pureview soon enough.

Not sure where I went with all this haha