El_Capitan

MIcrosoft asks Siri what's the best smart phone ever

If Apple didn't change it on it's server, Siri would've said the Galaxy S III right now, given that BestBuy have the S III at the top with 5 out of 5 review from 4 people compared to the 4S with 4.7 out of 5 review from 109 reviews people. Now wouldn't that be Priceless? :lol:

Funny how people exploit this though.. It was just an honest mistake from Apple anyway..

Using this theory.

All Windows has to do is take it's Phone platform and turn it into a Tablet, PC, and some sort of music platform and then guess what.. They just pwndy Apple.

Since everything you just said above is all based off of the same OS and is all the same exact thing with differ size screens and hardware specs.

Things products sell good because of fan base. Not because it's actually a good product. People buy Apple products because every single device they come out with looks and operates the same. You don't have to learn anything new once you learned the first generation of that device.

It goes the same with any other device out there.

I would disagree with that.

Apple has done a fantastic job at providing customers with amazing products, and they back those products up. I think other companies keep failing to draw a user base because they don't put as much care as Apple dose into their customers. Windows phone might be amazing, but Microsoft dosen't have the same experience as Apple dose when it comes to the consumer and the product. They have been trying to copy Apple's retail stores to build that sam quality of service up, but it is only in very limited markets right now. To Microsoft they are trying to reinvent the wheel all the time, with Apple they are just improving on the wheel.

Apple likes to build relationships with products for the long term, with their support. If Microsof was able to provide that same level of service on its smartphones, I could very well see them taking on the iPhone.

I guess what I am trying to get at is that they are not just popular because of a good fan base, but that they appeal to the general consumers. I mean hell, PC and Windows has one of the largest fanboi bases on the planet, but yet iPhone is dominating the markets. Apple is able to sell the iPhone like they do because of several factors imo, yes they do have a dedicated fan base, also amazing customer service, support. Any owner of an Apple product can walk into a retail store and get help on using their devices. With Microsoft your lucky if you don't get transfered half way across the globe on a 1800 call... Personal I think its more about customer service than anything else, and Apple here is clearly the superior.

**Oh btw im not biased even though I just accepted a job at Apple :S, I still own both PC as well as a Mac and have also used windows phone.

Edited by greengiant912

If Apple didn't change it on it's server, Siri would've said the Galaxy S III right now, given that BestBuy have the S III at the top with 5 out of 5 review from 4 people compared to the 4S with 4.7 out of 5 review from 109 reviews people. Now wouldn't that be Priceless? :lol:

Funny how people exploit this though.. It was just an honest mistake from Apple anyway..

If Apple hadn't changed the servers, Siri would still be running on all iOS devices instead of just the brand new stuff. During the iPhone 4S announcement they turned off access to the servers for all non-4S devices. How's that for customer service?

If Apple hadn't changed the servers, Siri would still be running on all iOS devices instead of just the brand new stuff. During the iPhone 4S announcement they turned off access to the servers for all non-4S devices. How's that for customer service?

Siri is only a feature on the iphone 4s, and is coming to the newer generation of iPads.

Using Siri on other devices requires you to jailbreak the device at the very least.

If Apple only wants the feature on newer products power to them. Its a selling point. It be like oh hey I want to install windows phone 7 on my phone from 2005. Sure it might work but is it supported by the manufacture, or the software developer?

When I got the iPod Touch 4, I was able to update to the latest version (I forget which), but if my fiance wanted to with her iPod Touch 2, she had to pay for it (I forget how much, probably $5).

Pretty lame service if you ask me.

Apple makes a lot of money by adding software application features to newer hardware products as an incentive for customers with existing hardware to spend more money to upgrade. There's no reason the OS or certain software features can't be upgraded on older generations. Apple just chooses not to.

Microsoft or Android does not do this.

When I got the iPod Touch 4, I was able to update to the latest version (I forget which), but if my fiance wanted to with her iPod Touch 2, she had to pay for it (I forget how much, probably $5).

Pretty lame service if you ask me.

Apple makes a lot of money by adding software application features to newer hardware products as an incentive for customers with existing hardware to spend more money to upgrade. There's no reason the OS or certain software features can't be upgraded on older generations. Apple just chooses not to.

Microsoft or Android does not do this.

Yes they do. They just have different versions of their OS.

Ice Cream Sandwich wont work on the first Nexus.

http://www.engadget.com/2011/10/26/nexus-one-denied-ice-cream-sandwich-becomes-official-relic-of-a/

Also Apple went away from the paid upgrades for iPods. Back in the day their thinking was that hey its like upgrading your OS on your PC or laptop (upgrading to windows 7, Lion, etc). They gave the update free to iPhone users as they were paying a monthly service fees. This hasn't happened for the past few IOS releases though...

http://www.engadget.com/2011/10/26/nexus-one-denied-ice-cream-sandwich-becomes-official-relic-of-a/

Also Apple went away from the paid upgrades for iPods. Back in the day their thinking was that hey its like upgrading your OS on your PC or laptop (upgrading to windows 7, Lion, etc). They gave the update free to iPhone users as they were paying a monthly service fees. This hasn't happened for the past few IOS releases though...

I'm talking more about software application features than the OS. Siri is an application. There's no reason it couldn't run on a non-4s device.

OS's are of a different nature, but when I first saw that I had to pay for an OS update on the iPod Touch 2 (glad it's free now), I thought, wow, what a gimmick!

I have enough money to sink into getting the latest and greatest Apple devices, but there's nothing I really care for in wanting to get them. I think that's where Apple's having trouble with and going this route. Hey, it's a business, but it still sucks that I can't try out Siri for shoots and giggles on my iPod Touch 4.

My droid 2 isn't supposed to get Ice Cream Sandwhich either...yet I am running it.

There is a community for Android that supports even old products, so I bet even for the Nexus One there is an ICS ROM.

I'm talking more about software application features than the OS. Siri is an application. There's no reason it couldn't run on a non-4s device.

That's how it originally was. Siri predates the 4S by at least a year and a half. Apple bought the original developers of the Siri app, then ended all public development of it (no new releases but they may have been working on it for a new device at the time). When the 4S was announced they shut off the servers so those using Siri on all previous iPhones and iPods lost the ability to do web searches, the main selling point of the app. Android and iOS may both have fragmentation issues, but Android has never seen a functionality removed to compel people to buy a new phone.

OS's are of a different nature, but when I first saw that I had to pay for an OS update on the iPod Touch 2 (glad it's free now), I thought, wow, what a gimmick!

I have enough money to sink into getting the latest and greatest Apple devices, but there's nothing I really care for in wanting to get them. I think that's where Apple's having trouble with and going this route. Hey, it's a business, but it still sucks that I can't try out Siri for shoots and giggles on my iPod Touch 4.

Siri was an application, they heavily integrated it into IOS. It uses some private APIs that other apps cant use, and there are some hardware things that are pretty minor. I think the 4S has a better mic, and the processing power for 4S is a little more. You gotta remember that Apple is insanely crazy about their CPU usage on the IOS devices (as well as battery life) especially for applications that run in the background.

Apple has a dedicated community as well for older devices. People are jailbreaking all the time....

Just some thoughts. People are so easily ready to hate on Apple just because they can, even when their arguments are invalid, or they are clouded by biases.

I still have the original Siri app on my iphone 4. It doesn't work but I keep it around for nostalgia. :P

Edited by greengiant912

I would disagree with that.

Apple has done a fantastic job at providing customers with amazing products, and they back those products up. I think other companies keep failing to draw a user base because they don't put as much care as Apple dose into their customers. Windows phone might be amazing, but Microsoft dosen't have the same experience as Apple dose when it comes to the consumer and the product. They have been trying to copy Apple's retail stores to build that sam quality of service up, but it is only in very limited markets right now. To Microsoft they are trying to reinvent the wheel all the time, with Apple they are just improving on the wheel.

Apple likes to build relationships with products for the long term, with their support. If Microsof was able to provide that same level of service on its smartphones, I could very well see them taking on the iPhone.

To debunk your wheel analogy: Apple "improves" the wheel because they don't let the user touch it. "Bad user, how dare you try and run performance tires on this wheel, you use must run the factor outfitted all season tires no matter what because WE feel it's the best for you..."

They shelter their products and their customers so hard that it give the *illusion* of quality through simplicity. It's a smart idea, I'm not discounting that, it's just something I wouldn't be so proud of. Apple doesn't care about their customers LOL, they'll push them to upgrade if there's anything they can't fix.

Siri was an application, they heavily integrated it into IOS. It uses some private APIs that other apps cant use, and there are some hardware things that are pretty minor. I think the 4S has a better mic, and the processing power for 4S is a little more. You gotta remember that Apple is insanely crazy about their CPU usage on the IOS devices (as well as battery life) especially for applications that run in the background.

Apple has a dedicated community as well for older devices. People are jailbreaking all the time....

Just some thoughts. People are so easily ready to hate on Apple just because they can, even when their arguments are invalid, or they are clouded by biases.

I still have the original Siri app on my iphone 4. It doesn't work but I keep it around for nostalgia. :P

Again, my infallible wheel analogy (PATENT PENDING :P ): "No loyal customer, you may not put those rims on your car. Sure they may be of a lighter weight alloy, the lug pattern matches your vehicle PERFECTLY, and it will improve every aspect of your car driving experience.....but we're only allowing that for our upcoming 2013 model vehicles, you may no longer use them reliably as you have been." Like really, I used to run an old windows mobile 6.1 Touch Pro when the iPhone 3G was out, and I could run anything I that was available on the newer WM6.5 phones even though my phone was beYOND dated (even being used to it, I cringed at how slow it was lol). Apple purposely withholds features from their devices so that their new devices look good, but this is a step too far. When the app runs flawlessly on its older hardware/software but is STILL taken away to promote their newer 4S....why is this praiseworthy?!

Jailbreaking is probably the only reason someone (who knows better) would buy an older apple device lol

People hate on Apple because it's easy to because they make ALOT of questionable decisions and then get defended by those "clouded by biases, when their arguments are invalid"

The fact that you'll defend them to the grave, yet keep a non functional app logo of something Apple unjustly took from you....well....I feel we have little more to discuss here :mellow:

This is my favorite Siri parody video:

http://www.collegehumor.com/video/6648229/siri-argument

LOL!

Edited by IVIYTH0S