OUYA - A new kind of video game console

airman

I will reach out and say that I will be overclocking this thing as far as it will go :D Will definitely attempt aftermarket cooling solutions, space permitting. If there's not much space to begin with, I'll look into a custom enclosure for it.

I don't think that just because it runs on Android doesn't mean it's going to be stuck in a "fragmented" app development world. Cross-platform between phones and Ouya will probably be limited. I don't expect this to basically be a "non-connected phone" that plugs into my TV so I can play Angry Birds, check emails, and use Office tools. It's going to be a gaming platform that has a following of development specifically for it - a lot like Steam. Many immensely successful games on Steam came from indie developers and do not require a large amount of hardware to run them.

Comparing it too much to a mobile platform (yes, it is Android) leaves out the thought that it's a rootable, moddable, and simple playground for developers, but comparing it too much to a console drives down expectations as far as performance, graphics, etc - but remember, it's only $99...

I look forward to it simply for the ROMs that I could play and have them all in one place, and for it to act as a nice little media center for [most likely] streaming hulu and netflix as well as my other media stored on the network. For $99, it's worth it to me just for a media/streaming box that I don't have to worry about fiddling to set up, clammering around with a mouse and keyboard on my couch, drivers, codecs, permissions, blah blah etc. It's just going to be a cool little toy. Whatever else it brings me is just the sugar on top.

We shall see how it does. The funny thing is that if apple announced something like this, everyone would be drooling over it and saying how it will be the best device ever.

from what I got from the video, developers will be making games specifically for the console, so Android fragmentation will not play a role. It might help the indie developers, who knows. All I know is that the games I've spent the most time on have had the worst graphics. If the games are good, it will sell. I have seen some simple yet extremely fun games. I don't think they are targeting the demographic of the 360 or PS3 users. This seems like something unique.

Predictions of success or failure in technology doesn't ever seem to work out as expected as you never know what the product quality will be like, even products from established companies.

We shall see.

I agree with you guys, I personally see potential in this device. I think the idea of comparing this device to a smart phone or a console is a bit silly myself. It's going for something different from both of those things, just like how the 360 or PS3 go for something different than the PC, and everyone on this forum knows perfectly well how silly it is to try and start a console vs pc debate. :teehee:

I like the idea of this being an inexpensive HTPC, I think it's perfect for that and if the developers were to market that feature as well, they'd see some killer sales I think. Personally, I'd rather have a laptop, I love my computers, I love the customization and freedom they offer me, I enjoy hunting down those codecs and going through hundreds of different settings in MPC or VLC and Winamp. However, I'm a computer geek, I just like that kind of stuff, but most people don't and that's why a device like this would have a lot of appeal the HTPC market I think. It offers a much better HTPC experience than any current console while maintaining the simplicity that consoles offer.

Like Rivalry says, graphics aren't everything, I mean many of us hardcore PC gamers love our better than console graphics and love to brag about it, but many of us also love Minecraft, Terraria, Counter Strike 1.6? We love our graphics but we still know that some of the best games aren't exactly shiny, and we still enjoy them.

I think whether you believe this device will fail or succeed depends on you, it's personal, we all want different things. This is where the article that Andrew linked to fails I think, it's too personal to the author, take Point #2 for example, "The Android Game Library is Extremely Lackluster," is it really though? Millions of people that love Angry Birds and Fruit Ninja probably don't agree. To a person like myself, I'm not really interested in Angry Birds or Fruit Ninja, but I know a lot of people that are and they love those games the same way I love Killing Floor (has logged over 600 hours). Just because I might be a bit of a game snob and don't want to taint myself with the Call of Duty crowd, doesn't mean the audience isn't there for a lackluster game. (no offense to call of duty players, just a little rib jabbing :D )

Overall, I think this has potential, I won't say I think it's going to succeed or fail because I just haven't seen enough to feel like I can even make such a judgement on it. That's where this device is really lacking the most in my opinion, it needs more information given and a lot less of what feels like hopes and dreams from people in front of cameras.

I look forward to it simply for the ROMs that I could play and have them all in one place, and for it to act as a nice little media center for [most likely] streaming hulu and netflix as well as my other media stored on the network. For $99, it's worth it to me just for a media/streaming box that I don't have to worry about fiddling to set up, clammering around with a mouse and keyboard on my couch, drivers, codecs, permissions, blah blah etc. It's just going to be a cool little toy. Whatever else it brings me is just the sugar on top.

With those goals and expectations I think you would be happy with the device. Reason I don't think it will succeed is simply because I don't see a large market buying it for those needs. Like you said though, if someone wants a cheap HTPC device you would be hard pressed to beat it on this price ...you simply can't build one cheaper and all the competitors are more expensive.

Problem is, that is not how the founders are marketing this device. How a device is marketed plays a huge role in its success. If they sold this a cheap HTPC device and simply said, oh and by the way it can also play games ...I would have a different reaction to this device. If you only judge it from what it is marketed as, a console, the only thing it has going for it is the price. The OUYA only has 8GB of storage which means anyone thinking HTPC is already considering better storage option - thus, increasing costs ...unless of course they got extra hardware laying around.

Going to go back to one of my statements... it is an over glorified phone with a controller. Phone hardware, especially androids, go obsolete in MONTHS. Only way around this problem is to get developers dedicated to develop specifically for the device so that it doesn't need O/S updates down the line, and ask any console fan... getting developers to sign up and stay locked in is whole the trick behind a console succeeding or not.

tl;dr = Interesting device if marketed as a cheap HTPC device, but the marketing strategy is all wrong

from what I got from the video, developers will be making games specifically for the console, so Android fragmentation will not play a role. It might help the indie developers, who knows. All I know is that the games I've spent the most time on have had the worst graphics. If the games are good, it will sell. I have seen some simple yet extremely fun games. I don't think they are targeting the demographic of the 360 or PS3 users. This seems like something unique.

Even if the OUYA could lock in dedicated developers, which by the way is the biggest hurdle every console has, the best they could do is code for the level of software it releases with ...or moves to as updates come out. And most developers will take the easy route and do "cross platform" coding simply because it is so open source. Since most people obsessed with open source mod the stuff out of their devices that support it, they will be playing games on a different version of software than the developers coded to.

This is phone hardware without the calling capabilities and a controller instead with an open source O/S ...and its being marketed as a console. :erm: That is clearly the idea of someone who has no clue how the console gaming market works.

The people I see buying this device are people like Airman who want a cheap HTPC device to root and play ROMs with. They really just need to change the marketing strategy on this device, get a cult following, expand on the gaming capabilities down the line ...then try to play with the big dawgs. The current number of followers and pledge amount ($4 million) is impressive, but I couldn't back a device with that strategy. While it is still too early to really predict anything, you still have to if you decide you are going to invest in something or not.

As far as banging on the hardware goes, it's not "phone hardware". It's tegra 3. Tegra 3 (like a year and a half old) won't be behind until tegra 4 comes out - at least six months from now. So just like processor hardware - how often do new sockets come out? Every year/two years, right? As far as I know, Tegra 3 has only shown up in a couple of phones. Mainly tablets/bigger things.

I'd be interested to see a phone that could interface with network storage, stream stuff from shared drives, display up to 2650x1600 resolutions, and again, act as a stationary entertainment center for only $100.

Watch some videos on youtube of Tegra 3 demos. There is plenty of graphics potential.

One thing that many people are forgetting is that the hardware for every other console is "outdated" upon release...XBOX 360 has only 512mb of RAM. Hell, the Wii has less than 100MB of RAM and did very well.

Update #7 - OUYA has partnered with Square Enix to bring us FFIII in glorious high definition as a launch title on the OUYA :D

Am I the only one who's excited about this? Lol