sonic_agamemnon

Water Cooling Irony

My point is water cooling is a hobby that is not cost-effective compared to equivalent air-cooling technology.

Neither is Crossfire. Neither is buying the latest and greatest CPUs. Neither is buying expensive cases. Neither is buying expensive RAM. Neither is buying multiple SSDs to stripe them.

Nothing about this hobby is really all that cost-effective...yet the only one you seem to disagree with is water cooling. Why?

Neither is Crossfire. Neither is buying the latest and greatest CPUs. Neither is buying expensive cases. Neither is buying expensive RAM. Neither is buying multiple SSDs to stripe them.

Nothing about this hobby is really all that cost-effective...yet the only one you seem to disagree with is water cooling. Why?

There is no point continuing this discussion, especially when it has degraded into a personal attack, which is rather sad but totally predictable.

Solong.

There is no point continuing this discussion, especially when it has degraded into a personal attack, which is rather sad but totally predictable.

Personal attack?

Nobody is attacking anyone here. I'm trying to figure out why you're against water cooling so intently on the basis of cost-effectiveness...but almost nothing about this hobby is cost-effective. Do you understand why I'm confused? :dunno:

I whipped this up as an example, by the way, which would fit your machine. It's about as high-end as you can go without wasting money on "fancy" parts for watercooling:

post-8484-0-27352400-1341575520_thumb.jpg

That's all from a single retailer (which does have relatively high prices) but it's around $700 for the full setup including two full cover GPU blocks and all the parts you need to have a very efficient and quiet setup. The only thing you'd need to upgrade if you moved to a new system is a new CPU bracket (possibly) and new GPU blocks. :cheers: I'd bet with careful shopping you could drop $100 off that price, easily.

EDIT: You did ask about air-cooling ironies by the way...so in that light I could say that spending $1000+ on a CPU, $85 on a cooler, and not overclocking it is quite ironic. :P

I guess Waco asking bout his logic, or lack thereof, (which he instigated) is now considered a personal attack.

The one thing i don't get is going back and reading most of the posts again he said that "A Noctua D14 heat-pipe handles my highest load at 62 degrees and I can barely hear the fans spin..." now I'm guessing that this is at stock speeds of 3.3GHz, with those temps that doesnt leave a hole lot of room to overclock if he ever did.

To this Waco replies with "And I cool both my 5970 (extremely overclocked) and my 2600K at 5 GHz with full load temps around that...but I can't hear it at all. "

Now if it were me and i had $1100 to buy a CPU and cooler I would hands down buy a 2600k and water cooling loop and the loop would still be under budget with GPU/s included over a 3960x and air cooler.

Heres a litle bit of and article i was reading about a 3960x vs a 2600k from tomshardware

"When I first reviewed Intel’s Core i7-2600K and Core i5-2500K processors, I didn’t really consider the higher-end chip a solid value. After all, it offered a slightly higher clock, slightly more shared L3 cache, and Hyper-Threading.

However, compared to the Core i7-3960X, which is 212% more expensive, and only able to offer an average 17% performance improvement, the 2600K looks like a real winner. Don’t forget that you need a more expensive motherboard, more expensive memory kit, and an air or water cooler on top of the -3960X’s cost, as well." This also doesnt take into account that Waco's 2600k is well overclocked so its on par or better then the 3960x at stock speeds.

Solong.

No one here has once attacked you on a personal level or any level. All i see is some questioning your justification and reasoning. And which Im wondering myself..