Penti

Quad SLI (4) 680's or (2) 690's

But wouldn't three monitors running at 1080p @120hz (for 3d vision) even consume more resources than three 1600p?

Ah yes, indeed it would.

EDIT

Waco's right, I posted too quickly. It's going to be rendered at the same resolution, 3d or not.

I was under the impression that the scaling issues were independent of the refresh rate...as in the resolution is pretty much all that mattered (with higher generally scaling better). Right?

Edit: does rendering 3D make it scale better because its technically rendering twice the resolution?

I was under the impression that the scaling issues were independent of the refresh rate...as in the resolution is pretty much all that mattered (with higher generally scaling better). Right?

Edit: does rendering 3D make it scale better because its technically rendering twice the resolution?

I was under the inclination that even though it displays at 1080p, it would need to render twice as much pictures as a normal monitor.. Or at the very least, turning on the 3d does lower framerates of games, all other things constant..

I was under the inclination that even though it displays at 1080p, it would need to render twice as much pictures as a normal monitor.. Or at the very least, turning on the 3d does lower framerates of games, all other things constant..

I'm not sure how it actually works internally...if it renders two scenes and multiplexes them then it'll scale like 1920x1080 * 6 in terms of resolution. So yeah, scaling would be pretty good.

Yes, it does need to render two scenes of each frame, for the different eyes.

So in effect it will have to render 6x1080 resolution.

Dual 690s is probably your best bet

Dual 690's is pretty overkill.

You didn't mention why you wanted so much horsepower, but I am guessing you are wanting to get a longer lifeline out of your PC?

Dual 690's will do well from a scaling stand point, however pretty much every game out there will be fine with one 690 currently. Depending on what you are doing rig wise you might be able to save some dough and improve your rig with the money you save. If thats not an issue, personally I would take the 690's over any amount of the 680's.

Two overclocked GTX 680's is just even overkill for my gaming needs as well. I can't imagine needing four. I game on 2560 x 1600, and still waiting on a game that will look good with 3 in Nvidia Surround.

A single 690 will handle surround very well, 60+ FPS in all games, the issue is with the 3D surround, so he needs to be able to hit at least 80 FPS (which is 40 in 3d) for it to look decent, with 120 preferable

A single 690 will handle surround very well, 60+ FPS in all games, the issue is with the 3D surround, so he needs to be able to hit at least 80 FPS (which is 40 in 3d) for it to look decent, with 120 preferable

Exactly the point, also, I've been upgrading / overhauling my main PC every 2 years since I usually go mid-tier and spend around $1.5k on the bare essentials (without the HDD/SSD, monitor, etc). Thinking if I spend all out on a PC right now (when I'm still willing to spend as much, quasi-midlife crisis), I should / would still be using and satisfied with it 4 or so years from now..

Plus, renovating my pad, so I want to make most of my stuff to specification if the PC..