klinic

Building rig for father, been out of the loop for a while.

So, I haven't posted here in a year or two and I'm afraid I'm a bit out of the loop due to becoming primarily a Mac person. I'm looking to build a kickass rig for my father who's going to be using it primarily for photo editing (up to 21.1 megapixels) in Lightroom 4, I don't think he cares much for learning anything to do with photoshop, but the possibility is there as I don't think he'll settle for less then perfection.

GTX 460s were all the rage back when I was still into this stuff, but I don't know if there's something cheaper or better value for money out now, especially as I was looking at gaming back then, not photo editing. I'm basically limited to stuff from uMart, shipping from overseas is a big no-no.

2. CoolerMaster 650W Extreme Plus
  3. Western Digital 1TB SATA3 64M(WD1002FAEX)
  4. Pioneer SATA DVR219L 24X DVD Black & OEM Software
  5. eVGA GF GTX460 1G EE DDR5 DVI miniHDMI
  6. Corsair Obsidian 650D Black Mid Tower Case with Window
  7. Gigabyte GA-X79-UD5 MB, Socket 2011, Intel X79, 8x DDR3, 3x PCI-E3.0
  8. G Skill 16G(4X4G) DDR3 2133MHZ PC3-17000 CL11(11Q-16GBZL)\
  9. Intel CORE i7 3820/3.60GHz/10MB CACHE/LGA2011/4CORES/NO FAN
  10. Total $1444.00

So anything I could do to make it a bit more cost effective. I don't really think 16gbs of ram is necessary, but it's so damn cheap now. ._. I don't even KNOW what's going on with CPUs or sockets anymore. Is 2011 the highest end one out at the moment? Because I swear I remember hearing about it back when I was in the loop.

Not included is an OWC ssd, I don't trust OCZ I don't know if they've gotten better, but I've had GOOD experiences with OWC SSDs.

Feedback appreciated.

So, I haven't posted here in a year or two and I'm afraid I'm a bit out of the loop due to becoming primarily a Mac person. I'm looking to build a kickass rig for my father who's going to be using it primarily for photo editing (up to 21.1 megapixels) in Lightroom 4, I don't think he cares much for learning anything to do with photoshop, but the possibility is there as I don't think he'll settle for less then perfection.

GTX 460s were all the rage back when I was still into this stuff, but I don't know if there's something cheaper or better value for money out now, especially as I was looking at gaming back then, not photo editing. I'm basically limited to stuff from uMart, shipping from overseas is a big no-no.

2. CoolerMaster 650W Extreme Plus
  3. Western Digital 1TB SATA3 64M(WD1002FAEX)
  4. Pioneer SATA DVR219L 24X DVD Black & OEM Software
  5. eVGA GF GTX460 1G EE DDR5 DVI miniHDMI
  6. Corsair Obsidian 650D Black Mid Tower Case with Window
  7. Gigabyte GA-X79-UD5 MB, Socket 2011, Intel X79, 8x DDR3, 3x PCI-E3.0
  8. G Skill 16G(4X4G) DDR3 2133MHZ PC3-17000 CL11(11Q-16GBZL)\
  9. Intel CORE i7 3820/3.60GHz/10MB CACHE/LGA2011/4CORES/NO FAN
  10. Total $1444.00

So anything I could do to make it a bit more cost effective. I don't really think 16gbs of ram is necessary, but it's so damn cheap now. ._. I don't even KNOW what's going on with CPUs or sockets anymore. Is 2011 the highest end one out at the moment? Because I swear I remember hearing about it back when I was in the loop.

Not included is an OWC ssd, I don't trust OCZ I don't know if they've gotten better, but I've had GOOD experiences with OWC SSDs.

Feedback appreciated.

I use my rig for a lot of photo editing, and the most taxing thing on my pc that I do editing wise is I batch process about 400 to 1000 photos at a time. Unless he is doing something like I am (which I admit is kind of insane) then your rig is kind of over kill.

If you dad doesn't play video games, and this PC is for straight photo shop (and of course things like using microsoft office and other stuff) then you probably want to go with the build list below.....

i7 3770K $350

Motherboard $150

RAM $90

Case $110

PSU: NZXT Hale 650 watt modular $90 - 10% off with coupon code - 30 dollar mail in rebate = $51.

Keep the DVD drive.

Use the integrated graphics on the CPU. I am doing the same thing right now for picture editing and it works really well. I am sure that since you have been out of the loop you are also unaware of how far integrated graphics have become. I assure you that unless he does any video editing or gaming, that all he will need is the integrated graphics.

HDD: 2TB Segate drive $150 (I have a 2tb drive because I am not exactly sure how much storage your dad would use. A 21 mega pixel camera is a pretty serious piece of equipment and I can only assume that he has taken a ton of pictures with it and they are all in RAW format. You might also want to consider getting two of these drives for a raid 1 configuration)

At this point you want to spend whatever money you have left in the budget on SSDs. It might even be worth it to skip the hard drives all together and just get more SSD storage. If your dad takes photos in RAW format then he is eventually going to want to convert them into Jpegs. This is where I personally notice the biggest slow down for any of my PCs.

If you have a hard drive, that means that when you convert a Jpeg you are reading the picture from the hard drive, processing it to Jpeg and the writing it back to the hard drive. Since hard drives are slow, this process could take a while especially if you have a ton of photos to do.

With SSDs you get a massive performance difference. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820227758 I would get two of these (and yes, OCZ has become a lot better)

I'm afraid most of those are not options where I live. :/ I'm pretty much going to have to go to uMart due to how close they are, and their range has reduced drastically since I used to shop there (though so have the prices too) so I'm painfully limited. Does the option I listed have those apparently amazing integrated graphics abilities?

The closest option is the Intel Core i7 2700K Processor LGA1155 3.5GHz CPU , which is a bit more expensive. Maybe it's more powerful though, I'm not sure which generation either is somehow. -.-;

X79/2011 is indeed the current 'first class' from Intel. However, I doubt you'd gain any significant improvement going with the 2011 as opposed to going with the 1155 socket.

The above post from TJ gives you a lot to think for. The iGPU in SB/IB may not be enough for activities that demands for intense graphics calculation, but it's certainly enough for photo editing, viewing videos, browsing, etc.. Large storage would be needed depending on your file sizes. SSD is a must for a faster experience (although I disagree with storing your files directly on the SSD for a couple of reasons).

One question: Would you be open to getting your parts from PCCG? AFAIK they do offer free shipping throughout Australia and often have lower prices compared to Umart.

Here's my Suggestion (Prices from PCCG):

Intel Core i7 2600K - AU$ 335

ASRock Z77 Extreme6 - AU$ 199

G.Skill RipjawsX (2x8GB) - AU$ 121

WesternDigital CaviarBlack 1TB - AU$ 125

SanDisk Extreme 240GB SSD - AU$ 249

OCZ ZT650W - AU$ 105

BitFenix Raider - AU$ 99

LiteON 24x DVDRW - AU$ 22

Total: AU$ 1255

The 2600K is AU$34 cheaper than the 3770K. There's quite a difference between the HD3000 and the HD4000 iGPU but it shouldn't affect much in Lightroom. As for CPU computing power, there is no large gap between their performance. The 3770K does run much more efficiently at stock voltages but when overclocked, it produces much more heat compared to the 2600K which would limit your overclocking further compared to the 2600K. Not quite worth the extra price IMO when you compare their performances. You can get the 2700K for $2 more. Some people say the 2700K are 'golden chips of 2600K' but I'm not too sure about that. Then again, $2 difference sure makes it an attractive buy

The ASRock Z77 Extreme6 provides great overclocking performance and packs quite a lot of features while still being relatively affordable board. It's backed by a 3 year warranty like most boards out there.

The RipjawsX is the cheapest 2x8GB 1600Mhz RAM I found. Same spec as those Corsair Vengeance but cheaper. 2x8GB so that you still have another 2 slot open, just in case you need to add more (although I doubt that you will). In real world performance, you won't feel any difference with a higher RAM Speed. IMO >1600 is just a waste of money since they also compensates this with the timings.

The SanDisk Extreme SSD is a great performing SSD while being relatively cheaper than others. I don't like the idea of using an SSD for your storage, especially files like RAW since there would be a lot of Read/Write involved when converting them. Plus, HDD are still cheaper at ~$0.10/GB compared to SSDs at ~$1/GB. 240GB for OS and Lightroom + any other software used frequently (though I think even 120GB would be enough)

The OCZ ZT series PSU is a great performing PSU. I know you said that you don't trust OCZ but they really have improved a lot recently. Their ZT PSU performs very well in reviews is a modular unit which is rare for an 80+ Bronze unit. Plus it comes at a very attractive price. Backed by a 5 year warranty, I don't see why shouldn't you get one and try another OCZ product.

BitFenix Raider. Three points: Good Airflow, Ample Space, Nice Price.

:cheers:

Ohhhhhhh Australia... Yeah that changes things a bit :doh: .

OCC has plenty of Australian members. Two guys off the top of my head that could probably guide you better than I can are muchoman and stonerboy79.

@OP what's the post code?

Will help with shipping estimates to help you get the best deal.