Best Value SSD

tomana

what's the best bang for the buck today, regarding SSD 120GB or there abouts?

OCZ vertex 4. It is a 128GB SSD that performs extraordinarily well in real world applications and it only cost about 120 bucks.

ATM the OCZ Agility 3. Way cheaper than the Vertex 4 & just as fast & reliable in real world useage. The asynchronous chips aren't a problem some people make them out to be. I hear that some of the budget Crucial drives also are pretty good too. In the end yer pays yer money & takes yer choice.

ATM the OCZ Agility 3. Way cheaper than the Vertex 4 & just as fast & reliable in real world useage. The asynchronous chips aren't a problem some people make them out to be. I hear that some of the budget Crucial drives also are pretty good too. In the end yer pays yer money & takes yer choice.

:withstupid: :withstupid: :withstupid: I have an Agilty 3 240GB and it's amazing!

I didn't see him say cheaper, he asked for the best bang for the buck value ;)

The vertex 4 has a way better price to performance ratio than the agility 3. I don't know where you got the idea that the agility drive has the same real world performance as the vertex 4. The vertex 4 was specifically designed for real world performance and it actually delivers especially compared to the agility 3.

However, I do agree with you about the crucial M4 series of SSDs. They too have a great performance to price ratio as well.

To be honest, with the way SSD prices have been falling over the past few months, the best bang-for-buck drive is going to keep changing. There was a combo deal for a 120gb Agility 3 + 550 OCZ PSU for only $88 after discount code and rebate on newegg just yesterday. Assume a resale price on the PSU at $40 (which is a very fair praice), the SSD would have costed only $44. The 128gb Crucial M4's and Samsung 830's have been hitting right around $100 as well, while the Vertex 4 is just barely more expensive coming in around $110. While more expensive, these drives are notably faster than the Agility 3, and with the track record of Sandforce controllers, could offer a much better bang-for-your-buck over Agility 3 and Vertex 3 drives. Have they fixed the so called issues with those controllers? They say they have, but there are still reports coming out with fair regularity of failing drives. That's why one person's best bang-for-buck may not be someone elses.

There is no single best option; instead, I would tell you to choose a maximum budget and wait for an SSD to fall into that price range. I like the M4 and 830 because of their high reliability and speeds compared to everything else. I paid $90 for my 64gb 830 for my desktop last thanksgiving and I love it, but with the price of SSDs steadily falling, I may make the jump on a <$150 256gb M4/830/whatever is out around this thanksgiving again as well.

Edited by DarkScorpion

I didn't see him say cheaper, he asked for the best bang for the buck value ;)

The vertex 4 has a way better price to performance ratio than the agility 3. I don't know where you got the idea that the agility drive has the same real world performance as the vertex 4. The vertex 4 was specifically designed for real world performance and it actually delivers especially compared to the agility 3.

However, I do agree with you about the crucial M4 series of SSDs. They too have a great performance to price ratio as well.

You honestly think if you weren't running a benchmark, that you'd see a drastically noticeable difference in real world performance ,picking the vertex over the agility??

You honestly think if you weren't running a benchmark, that you'd see a drastically noticeable difference in real world performance ,picking the vertex over the agility??

Yeup. The vertex 4 actually looses in benchmarks and instead beats out most if not all drives in real world performance.

(He agrees with me at 1:58)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0LLzUSF6ZLY

This gives you a ton of indication that this drive has better real world performance such as a much higher IOPS rate thaan previous drives and it doesn't have compression related issues.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OkD3yQODMSw

Here is a visual example of the real world performance difference.

• Like 1

I'm currently using a Hitchi laptop HDD SATA II 7200 rpm and it does what I need it to do but game load times are rather long and too much pausing during game play so any of these SSd's sound like a major performance improvement.

There's a Crucial 128GB m4 CT128M4SSD2 at Amazon.com for $119 shipped { 8 ^ D

Thanks for all the info everyone !

I'm currently using a Hitchi laptop HDD SATA II 7200 rpm and it does what I need it to do but game load times are rather long and too much pausing during game play so any of these SSd's sound like a major performance improvement.

There you go. You don't need to spend a ton of money. Better bang for the buck that a Vertex 4 for what you're using it for.

There you go. You don't need to spend a ton of money. Better bang for the buck that a Vertex 4 for what you're using it for.

.............no. The vertex 4 is 120 shipped. You get more performance for 1 dollar more.