H100 temps/fan speed question

I have just installed a new H100 hoping to cut the top off my CPU temps and maybe OC a bit more... always disliked my damn fan on the CPU.

I used 4 cougar vortex fans in a push pull config and used some IC compound I had in a drawer instead of the stock paste. now I have a 3.8GHz OC going on my i7 920 and it used to top out at around 72, now it tops out at around 58-60... and I can't tell if that's good or not. here's the thing - idle went down about 10C (to a 40C baseline). does that seem right?

I also have a couple of wiring/fan questions:

I wired 2 of the 4 fans directly on the mobo's fan plugs, but having none more open, put 2 directly on the PSU's line thru a molex 4pin-to-3pin adapter. does the fan decrese RPM if I put them in tandem on the PSU's line (thru 2 adapters let's say)? can I monitor that RPM to make sure it's about the same? will it be so even though they're using different connection types?

my system: HAF 932 case, i7 920 @ 3.8GHz w/HT, 12 GB gskill RAM @ 1866 (I think), ASUS P6X58D mobo, MSI 580GTX...

P.S. as a pleasant side effect (actually I put the fans blowing INTO the case on purpose), the GPU cut about 5C off the top due to the massive amount of air hitting it from the top of the case now.

P.P.S. my room temp is difficult to pin down but warm. house is at 75F and my room's a bit hotter cuz of all the electronics running

Edited by Crawlerz246

1341059770[/url]' post='2035647']

Ok thanks. What about the temps? Do they seem right to you?

i'm not familiar with Bloomfiled temperatures but since I don't recommend SB to hit >80C, I guess your temps are good since they're supposed to give out more heat compared to SB.. Again, I'm not sure.

cheers.gif

I think that's pretty good, temp wise. For instance, my i7 920 @ 4.2GHz idles at about 45C and tops out around 67-70C with my H50. I don't think you have anything to be worried about. And like vandreadstriker said, your fans are all running at their highest capacity. :thumbsup:

Edited by Nephilumos

OK last question.

plz help me understand why people mount the fans blowing OUT of the case rather then IN like I did. isn't that counter-intuitive? then the fan will be blowing WARM air from the case and over the rad? wouldn't that RAISE its temp?

plz someone help me understand this logic

........so in essence which setup is better.....

NUMBA 14.jpg

NUMBA 2 1-1.jpg

NUMBA 3 3.jpg

NUMBA 4 2.jpg

Edited by Crawlerz246

The temps look like they are in the ballpark. You could hook all four fans up to the PWM controller on the pump assembly instead of through the PSU or motherboard headers. Are you running the pump on high, medium or low speed?

The reasoning for blowing out is to push the slightly warmer than ambient air out the top of the chassis rather than creating a massive heat dump into the chassis that will increase the temperatures of the installed components such as the video card, memory and the VRM circuits. If you do not balance the flow into and out of the case you end up with warmer component temperatures at the expense of CPU temperatures 1-3C cooler depending on your ambient temperature.