Liclac

$1600 Video Editing System

HI OCC members,

Yesterday my friend asked me to build him a new desktop computer for video editing.. His budget is under $1600.. Less is better....

So, the specification is:

CPU: Intel i7 3820 Sandy Bridge E / Intel i7 3770K Ivy Bridge?

CPU Cooler: CM Hyper 210 Evo

Motherboard: Intel DX79 SI / Asrock Z77 Extreme4 Gen 3?

HDD: WD Caviar Black SATA III 1TB

Memory: GSkill 16GB Dual channel PC12800 10D-16GBXL

Graphic Card: eVGA GTX 560 Ti Superclock (He has no money to take the Quadro, so I choose the mid end graphic card with the largest amount of CUDA cores)

Casing: CoolerMaster HAF 912 Advanced / CM Storm Enforcer (here, both prices are the same)

PSU: Xigmatek Centauro 700W Modular (is this a good PSU?)

Monitor: LG IPS 225V

And now the question is:

CPU question:

After reading so many reviews in the internet and some forums, the Ivy Bridge and Sandy Bridge E still confuse me.. I have read reviews about 3820 and 3770K. Yes, the 3770K has more OCing capabilities than 3820.. But he doesn't want overclocking...so it doesn't matter...

Some people say that 3820 and 3770K are almost equal in gaming performance, but 3820 is better and faster in heavy multi threaded activity such as video editing, photo editing and rendering... 3770K is better in single threaded application than 3820.. The 3820 has x79 chipset which has larger memory bandwith.. is it worth enough for After Effects Rendering?

So, he does video editing and rendering in After Effects and Premiere, which one is the best option?

CPU Cooler:

My friend wants to make sure that his computer will not overheat when rendering and editing, so I suggest him to use CM Hyper 212 Evo... Do you have any suggestion for the other CPU Cooler?

*Feel free to post your opinion if you have a better suggestion for the hardware...

Thanks

Regards

Liclac

Edited by Liclac

CPU: Here are your 3 options:

1. SB-E with a 3930K, more cores/threads the better, but no Virtu Quick Sync (see my blog on details: http://computerhardwareupgrades.blogspot.com/2012/04/quick-test-using-virtu-quick-sync-with.html)

2. IB with a 3770K, cheaper than a 3930K, allows the use of Virtu Quick Sync, but temperatures get hot.

3. SB with a 2600K, cheaper cost than both of the above, also allows the use of Virtu Quick Sync. You can afford a better CPU cooler for higher overclocks.

I recommend #3.

Motherboard: Doesn't matter, I usually go for ASUS motherboards, then Gigabyte as a secondary option.

Memory: Get two kits of the 2 x 4GB Samsung Extreme Low Voltage and overclock them.

Premiere still sucks, adobe could never keep up with final cut , I suggest after effects being the best but I haven't used it since cs3. Back than it had all the features of premiere plus after effects billion of options. Now with cs6 I'm not so sure anymore so you'll have to read up on it. I can't see after effects getting worse, but i can see premiere getting better by adding more support because it almost didn't support any HD formats for a while. No cache support is mercury playback.

For either one the more cuda cores the better so you have that right , also it loves VRAM to use as cache so if you have the option to go 2gb for a little bit more make sure you do it. Finally even if the card is not on abode supported list you can add it to a line in a text file and the card works like any supported one for mercury playback. Now I'd you don't want to to fiddle with that than you have to get a card on the list.

http://www.adobe.com/products/premiere/mercury-playback-engine.html

GeForce GTX 285 (Windows® and Mac OS)

GeForce GTX 470 (Windows)

GeForce GTX 570 (Windows)

GeForce GTX 580 (Windows)

Quadro FX 3700M (Windows)

Quadro FX 3800 (Windows)

Quadro FX 3800M (Windows)

Quadro FX 4800 (Windows and Mac OS)

Quadro FX 5800 (Windows)

Quadro 2000 (Windows)

Quadro 2000D (Windows)

Quadro 2000M (Windows)

Quadro 3000M (Windows)

Quadro 4000 (Windows and Mac OS)

Quadro 4000M (Windows)

Quadro 5000 (Windows)

Quadro 5000M (Windows)

Quadro 5010M (Windows)

Quadro 6000 (Windows)

Quadro CX (Windows)

Tesla C2075* (Windows)

AMD Radeon HD 6750M (only on MacBook Pro computers with OSX 10.7.x with minimum 1GB VRAM)

AMD Radeon HD 6770M (only on MacBook Pro computers with OSX 10.7.x with minimum 1GB VRAM)

Edited by hornybluecow

Thank you all for the reply

CPU: Here are your 3 options:

1. SB-E with a 3930K, more cores/threads the better, but no Virtu Quick Sync (see my blog on details: http://computerhardwareupgrades.blogspot.com/2012/04/quick-test-using-virtu-quick-sync-with.html)

2. IB with a 3770K, cheaper than a 3930K, allows the use of Virtu Quick Sync, but temperatures get hot.

3. SB with a 2600K, cheaper cost than both of the above, also allows the use of Virtu Quick Sync. You can afford a better CPU cooler for higher overclocks.

I recommend #3.

Motherboard: Doesn't matter, I usually go for ASUS motherboards, then Gigabyte as a secondary option.

Memory: Get two kits of the 2 x 4GB Samsung Extreme Low Voltage and overclock them.

at first I recommend him a 3930K, but unfortunately, if I add 3930K to the list, the price will be over limit... So I choose 3820... Which one is better? 2600K, 3770K or 3820?

thanks, I will check your blog... :D

And he doesn't want an overclock at all on his computer...so I will not overclock it as he say...

Premiere still sucks, adobe could never keep up with final cut , I suggest after effects being the best but I haven't used it since cs3. Back than it had all the features of premiere plus after effects billion of options. Now with cs6 I'm not so sure anymore so you'll have to read up on it. I can't see after effects getting worse, but i can see premiere getting better by adding more support because it almost didn't support any HD formats for a while. No cache support is mercury playback.

For either one the more cuda cores the better so you have that right , also it loves VRAM to use as cache so if you have the option to go 2gb for a little bit more make sure you do it. Finally even if the card is not on abode supported list you can add it to a line in a text file and the card works like any supported one for mercury playback. Now I'd you don't want to to fiddle with that than you have to get a card on the list.

http://www.adobe.com/products/premiere/mercury-playback-engine.html

Thanks for your information...

Final cut is only available on Mac, so maybe Premiere is the best option here... lol.. I am using AE since CS4 to now (CS5) so I don't know the difference between the older one and the newer one.. We do special effect and motion graphic in AE, for video editing, of course we prefer Premiere to AE...but it is only my personal opinion... :D

I did read about adding a graphic card name to a text file in adobe AE and Premiere somewhere out there... Check out this link, there is a list of nvidia graphic card that support adobe Premiere, and based on the list, the GTX560Ti with 384 CUDA cores has no problem with adobe Premiere...

http://www.studio1productions.com/Articles/PremiereCS5.htm

Do you think there is any possibilities that the GTX560Ti must be added to the list manually just as you said?

Thanks

Is there any chance you could get a GTX 580 off of ebay or something?

hmm... I don't think so.... Buying something online is a hard thing to do in my country... and it is very risky.... We usually buy things like computer hardwares directly from the computer store, not from internet or ebay... And no discount off course.... :(

Edited by Liclac

Final cut is only available on Mac, so maybe Premiere is the best option here... lol.. I am using AE since CS4 to now (CS5) so I don't know the difference between the older one and the newer one.. We do special effect and motion graphic in AE, for video editing, of course we prefer Premiere to AE...but it is only my personal opinion... :D

I did read about adding a graphic card name to a text file in adobe AE and Premiere somewhere out there... Check out this link, there is a list of nvidia graphic card that support adobe Premiere, and based on the list, the GTX560Ti with 384 CUDA cores has no problem with adobe Premiere...

http://www.studio1productions.com/Articles/PremiereCS5.htm

Do you think there is any possibilities that the GTX560Ti must be added to the list manually just as you said?

very easy, it's simply a txt file in your adobe folder that said what card are supported. just add the cards name the list and all the functions are no longer greyed out. of course since adobe doesn't "officially" support them I could have issues but anything within the same series should be fine. I think they mainly want FEMI type card (for CUDA 3.0 and 4) + minimal of 1gb of vram. since most of those cards and quadros are femi based anything within those specs should work.

The reason I said they couldnt keep up with final cut because for the longest time it would not edit natively in HD format. since from what i'm reading it's gotten a lot better, I have CS5.5 installed but i just use AE instead for conveniences sake. If Adobe continues to follow its trends of shoving everything into each program than Premire should be very close to After Effects these days. To me Premiere has been a dumb down version of After Effects, but that's just me.

Where are you located op?

So we can make some reccommendations based on the prices available to you

Thanks for the reply..

I am from Jakarta, Indonesia... The hardware prices here are more expensive than in newegg (I only know newegg as an online computer hardware store).... It is okay to use the newegg prices if you want.. the difference is not too far though... thanks..

Do have a recommendation for me? :D

very easy, it's simply a txt file in your adobe folder that said what card are supported. just add the cards name the list and all the functions are no longer greyed out. of course since adobe doesn't "officially" support them I could have issues but anything within the same series should be fine. I think they mainly want FEMI type card (for CUDA 3.0 and 4) + minimal of 1gb of vram. since most of those cards and quadros are femi based anything within those specs should work.

The reason I said they couldnt keep up with final cut because for the longest time it would not edit natively in HD format. since from what i'm reading it's gotten a lot better, I have CS5.5 installed but i just use AE instead for conveniences sake. If Adobe continues to follow its trends of shoving everything into each program than Premire should be very close to After Effects these days. To me Premiere has been a dumb down version of After Effects, but that's just me.

Thanks for the reply..

wow, it is very easy... If he ended up taking the GTX560, I will try as you said... hope it works fine... Doesn't GTX560 Ti is fermi based architechture? If he have additional money, maybe I will refer him to GTX570 to make sure everything works fine... :D

by the way, what processor you will recommend to me? 3820 or 3770K or 2700K? lol... still cannot decide it..

no problem, each people has their own favorite software for editing and doing the other things... But indeed, sometimes premiere makes me sick because it cannot import AVI footage. Adobe should take care of it.. AVI is a very popular video format, why does adobe doesn't support it even the premiere has reach CS5 series? I have to convert it again in AE before I import it in premiere.. I have installed all of the codecs I know but nothing's working. Until now, that's the only problem I faced when I use premiere... Maybe you have more experiences in Premiere video editing than me...I don't do video editing a lot like you or my friend... :)

Adobe Premiere

This is the first program that i have even see that recommends a raid 0 config

I guess but both After Effects and Premiere ask for a temp/scratch disk I just assume you setup a raid 0 or use a SSD. I have both installed as CS5.5 but I barely use After Effects anymore and premiere like i said just avoided because it was useless for the longest time, being slow, clunky and unsupported formats. They fix a lot of the issues since CS3 but i just grew a custom to drop a clip into AE, than edit it. so I think the OP is going to have to do some quick reading.

So raid 0 is the best option with for adobe premiere? Maybe I am going to recommend him a OCZ Vertex 4 SSD 120GB... But sure I have to change the other option in order to not overlimit the budget... Just let's see if he can get a GTX570 and an SSD...

Thank all for the reply and your suggestions... Hope we can make a solid build.... :)

Regards