makarov

science extended investigation

Ok...I can't put it of any longer...after much soul searching and hours of pouring over science websites I have decided on a topic...

Does temperature have a effect on the speed of a network cable?

What do you guys think any tips? Sugestions or improvements?

Makarov

Well naturally yeah it would as temp can change the properties of the cable by expanding and contracting the copper.

Is it something you are ever going to notice tho.... Nope :)

Are you going to notice emi or slow down on long runs? Yep

Temperature does effect conductivity, so if you put the cable in a pot of ln2 or in a furnace it could have a slight effect.

But if your talking about a 10 degree morning compared to a 35 degree summer day, then no. To have even the slightest effect it would have to be hundreds of degrees

Ok...I can't put it of any longer...after much soul searching and hours of pouring over science websites I have decided on a topic...

Does temperature have a effect on the speed of a network cable?

What do you guys think any tips? Sugestions or improvements?

Makarov

If the changes in temperature are enough to cause a noticeable difference in network speed, they are well past the point which would kill you. :cheers:

If the changes in temperature are enough to cause a noticeable difference in network speed, they are well past the point which would kill you. :cheers:

You might be able to get around this with an extremely long network cable, but for normal cable lengths, you would need temperatures humans do not operate at.

Well looks like its back to the drawing board for me...anyone got any ideas

Yea Jim I was planning to use a very long cable I read that heat increases the resistance so if my cable is long enough I might get some results.

Edited by makarov

Well looks like its back to the drawing board for me...anyone got any ideas

Yea Jim I was planning to use a very long cable I read that heat increases the resistance so if my cable is long enough I might get some results.

If your cable was long enough that in itself would be causing issues. Line drop would be greater with the greater length.

All you need to do when networking is keep cable lengths to a minimum, keep them dry and if you ever need to come near sources of emi (power wires) cross them at perpendicular angles so the magnetic curls don't affect each other otherwise gust isolating the cable by 20cm is fine

Chilling the cable would reduce the latency of the signal by a VERY slight effect, below measurable unless you're running hundreds and hundreds of miles.

The bandwidth of the cable would be increased by the lower latency, but as I said, it's not going to be measurable. :P

How far are you trying to reach? 100m? A couple of km? lol