Error 0x80070057 when installing windows 7

Muchoman1

Hey guys, putting together my lan system, and when I try to install windows 7 onto my ssd (vertex 2 120 gig) I get an error with the code 0x80070057 preventing me from installing.

This occurs on two working computers, and this ssd previously lived its life in a Mac Book pro, so was formatted for osx

Any ideas? This is the first time in a long time that I have been completely stumped when building a computer

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

have you tried letting windows delete the partition , and create a new one then formatting ? i know when i installed win 7 on mine it was picky about deleting the partition first and creating a new one

Yes, I first did a large google trawl and it turned up nothing. As I said in the op, i tried install on two working computers, both which I installed win7 on before, removed other drives then tried this

Mucho, what motherboard are you running and what Intel chipset does it have?

Are you running the latest firmware version on the SSD?

Have you ran Memtest pre Windows install to make sure there aren't any errors there?

And other hard drives connected to controllers while you are attempting the installation onto the SSD?

try this , find a formatting utility and delete the partition and format , then try again , also did you use the same sata cable on the other 2 computers when installing as i think i remember some one else having a similar problem and it was the sata cable . if you cannot get it to work it may be the ssd has a fault ?

k

Hey wev,

Mobo chip sets are c206 (server 1155), p67 (main rig) and whatever chipset celeron d runs (htpc)

Firmware is up to date,

All systems run perfectly fine, but will not allow installation onto this ssd

Hdds were connected to my main rig, but the other two only had the ssd

Have done multiple formats and deletes on two systems, using different cables.

This ssd works fine with data, can copy files two and from it without issue. But will not let windows install

it sounds like it might not be letting windows modify the boot sector or reserved space on the ssd , i strongly recommend an aftermarket formatting utility , also try the manufacturers website for any tools for checking the health of the drive , i think the clue is in the fact it was used in an osx system and it might be a hidden or locked partition giving you problems , hope this helps :wave:

I would boot into the windows recovery screen from the W7 disc and make your way to the command prompt. Then run DISKPART. You can get a list of commands here: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc766465(v=WS.10).aspx

But I would select your ssd then list the partitions, you might have a hidden boot/recovery partition that won't be deleted when you format in windows. DiskPart should allow you to delete all the partitions. I hope that helps.

Edited by ahamling27

Also, I remember getting an error once upon a time when trying to install windows to a regular hard drive and it just wouldn't let me. It was because it didn't like my OC that was running on the computer. When I brought everything down to stock it installed fine. Probably won't help you in this case, but I figured it couldn't hurt either.

Edited by Nephilumos