Anyone have a Gigabyte G1.Assassin2 and i7-3820?

verefx

I was hoping I could find someone with this motherboard that could help me with overclock settings. My overclocking has generally been achieved using some type of overclocking software and not in the BIOS. The BIOS is a bit intimidating to me. Could someone help me with setting to get my 3820 to say 4.6 GHZ? Thank You!

Hello Verefx - welcome to the OCC forums. I don't have a motherboard that is that nice :)

But I am bumping your request for assistance so your thread will remain visible. I do have a lot of experience with other Gigabyte boards though and you might be able to find additional resources if you open up your search query a little bit more to include any Gigabyte socket 2011 board. The BIOS settings and options will be very similar.

Hello Verefx - welcome to the OCC forums. I don't have a motherboard that is that nice :)

But I am bumping your request for assistance so your thread will remain visible. I do have a lot of experience with other Gigabyte boards though and you might be able to find additional resources if you open up your search query a little bit more to include any Gigabyte socket 2011 board. The BIOS settings and options will be very similar.

Thank you very much!

Hey there Verefx,

Sorry I have taken my time getting to you. Now let me lay a few things down for you to make sure you understand what you are up against.

Now get ready for the Wall of text

First off the chip you have has a locked multiplier. The simplest way to oc the 2011 Core I7 chips is that feature and you have a locked multi. Now it may be able to down-clock it but not overclock it past the Turbo mode Limit of I think its 36 or 38. Now to overclock this chip you will have to use the base clock. There is two ways to go about this. one you can up the base clock a few at a time to move the chip clock up. Two is you can use a Bclk Or Base clock straps to raise the Frequency of the chip. Now bare in mind this is the more dangerous way to Overclock a processor as this clock ups the speed of Everything attached to the chip except for the PCI frequency. Ill post a guide below that you will need to read before you do much more with it so you know what you are adjusting before hand as I instruct.

First and formost make sure you have a very good cooling solution. A prolimatech Megahalems Or better. Watercooling is recommended Highly for this 6 core monster. And also be ready as you are taking a slight risk. GO ahead and download Coretemp and prime95 and you will use those tools to monitor. Get a hold of gigabytes motherboard or system monitor so you can see the temps of you V regs, IOH, and X79 NB chip.

Basically in the bios find the B clock strap (more affectionately known as a Host clock strap) and you will have a selection. On my system I have to option to place it at a multiplier of 1.00 - 1.33 or 1.67. These multis will allow you to set the clock speed at its base multi of 32 would put the CPU clock at 3.20 - 4.25 or 5.34. You will have to work with it but it may not work out at all cause some of the chips and boards cannot pull that kind of Host clock without locking up one portion of the motherboard or the chip itself.

Now to try this out to see if the board will post and be stable at a higher Host clock Multi at this clock go into the motherboard Bios.

the MIT tweaker is where all of this should be. you may have to look into other places But the settings should be named this or close as I am using proper intel Terms. I know this seems like alot but we have to put everything to a specific setting and then we can test it to make sure that you can use the Host clock Multipliers. It really is a pushup but it has to be done so we know it can operate this before we begin overclocking.

Go into MIT and find the Turbo multipliers, If there is a turbo mode Disable switch I would use that. If not move all the Turbo Multiplies to 25

Next look for your cpu non-turbo multiplier, I would turn it down to 25 to give you a a 3.325 Clock speed when you boot later @ the 1.33 Host multi.

Turn off all CPU and motherboard Powersaver features, CIE, C3 states etc. (should be in power management tread) . You may also Find the Load line calibration Feature over with these settings. set it to either high performance, low Vdroop, or Extreme LLC. (they call it too many different things)

Leave the CPU host clock at its factory setting for now. we need to make sure that everything around this setting is good to go before we try it.

Set these voltages

set your CPU voltage Manually to 1.22\0volts Or close to that.

Set your System agent Voltage to 1.000volts

Set your Vttd/a (qpi-Vtt) to 1.05

set your Cpu pll Over voltage override to enable and set the voltage to 1.80

set memory voltage to 1.50

there are way more settings in there then this, For now just use these so you can get a stable playing feild to test your Host clock properly.

Go to your memory tab and make your memory as slow as possible with the factory timings. 9-9-9-24 1T should work. @ 1.50 volts

after you have changed all those settings above save and reboot and make sure the system is stable with the lower memory,

Now that the stage is set go ahead save the settins and boot the computer. It may be a little on the slow side but that is due to us running it at 2.50ghz and ddr 800ish memory. If it boots (it should anyhow) after it has booted Turn on core temp and your motherboard monitoring suit and monitor temps. Turn on Prime95 and run blend for an hour. Periodically check your temperatures of the system. Just make sure the temperatures do not get out of control.

Temperatures. Don't allow the temperatures of components I name to go over a specified value.

Processor Cores = Max 80c (preferred no higher then 75c)

Voltage Regulators = max 90c (as cool as possible is best)

PHC = Max 90c (this doesn't tend to get warm)

Now has the system continued to function and not overtemp while Prime95 is operating?? If so its time for the moment of truth.

Go back into the bios MIT tweaker and put the Host clock multiplier to 1.33x, save and exit bios. If you actually boot into the OS then Go ahead and run Prime95 for a couple of hours to verify stability. After this has happened then you should be able to begin overclocking it.

Once you get to this point please contact us back... My hand hurts. So the same if this does not work. Worst case reset your Bios and contact us once more if you need further help.

Thanks For reading...

Boinker. OCC mod.

Just an FYI: Of all the things they could call it the Host clock muliplier is called the "Gear ratio" :lol:

I know right. I was looking at his owners manual earlier and noticed that. Thanks so much for jumping in to help here Boinker.

Your welcome. I just hope this helps. I am going to make and attempt to use my first host multi and see what happens. From what i have understood people have had success with it and some have not... Its all horse shoes and hand grenades some time.

I do know one thing. That wall of useful info requires popcorn and a soda to read. :rofl:

I haven't even had the chance to play with a good socket 2011 yet. But I've read several reviews and read in many forums that manipulating the host multi (gear ratio :)) is indeed one successful way to overclock the multiplier locked 3820. Hopefully this method works well for the OP.

A 3820 running at 4.6Ghz isn't anything to sneeze at.

I haven't even had the chance to play with a good socket 2011 yet. But I've read several reviews and read in many forums that manipulating the host multi (gear ratio :)) is indeed one successful way to overclock the multiplier locked 3820. Hopefully this method works well for the OP. A 3820 running at 4.6Ghz isn't anything to sneeze at.

Wow, first of all,. thank you very much for the deatiled instructions! I really appreciate your time and advise. I am going to have to print this out before I start. I will report back once I have done the things you suggest... Been so busy with work the past few days that I haven't had a chnace to do any of this but I will tonight.

Yep, Boinker is THE man! He's the guy that really gave you the advice and suggestions that you need. Good luck and feel free to pose up any other questions you have. Now that he's here you're in good hands.

Your welcome. I just hope this helps. I am going to make and attempt to use my first host multi and see what happens. From what i have understood people have had success with it and some have not... Its all horse shoes and hand grenades some time.

I do know one thing. That wall of useful info requires popcorn and a soda to read. :rofl:

Well, I played around with it for 2 hours last night and I was able to change JUST the multiplyer and got 4.3ghz stable. It wouldn't allow me to go any higher than that with the multi.

I then tried doing some of the stuff that you had suggested and could not get it any higher then the 4.3 I got on the multi. I am sure I am missing something but being able to ge3t 4.3 stable with the multi is cool. I want to have a 24/7 overclock so I think I will keep it there. It would have been nice to try and get as much as I could using your methods so I could get a great benchmark score, but I wouldn't keep it there so I am ok with not getting any higher than 4.3.

My previous rig had a 3770k and Z77 and I got 4.9ghz out of that one and when I upgraded I was hoping to blow that one out of the water but this 3820 is no 3770k and I can't afford an unlocked 2011.