Sign in to follow this  
Fight Game

cable modem with wire and wireless router built in

do they make such a thing?

I need a wireless router so my phone will have a faster connection. My internet has been cutting in and out more recently and my isp says it is due to my 10+ year old cable modem. So rather than get a new modem and a new wireless router, I'd like to have one unit that will be my cable modem, connect my pc with a wire for fastest connection, and connect my smartphone wirelessly. If they do make a single unit, is this even the cheapest and/or best option?

do they make such a thing?

I need a wireless router so my phone will have a faster connection. My internet has been cutting in and out more recently and my isp says it is due to my 10+ year old cable modem. So rather than get a new modem and a new wireless router, I'd like to have one unit that will be my cable modem, connect my pc with a wire for fastest connection, and connect my smartphone wirelessly. If they do make a single unit, is this even the cheapest and/or best option?

Yes they do I have 3 :lol: 4 eathernet ports and wireless a/b/g/n

Just get onto your isp and get them to send you a new modem you should be able to swing one for free. Exactly why there a 4 modems at my house. You call and you bitch and moan about your isp not caring about loyal customers about them treating new customers better than you who have been loyal. You ask them to adjust your account so it reflects what your paying with full new customer benifits, including more data and a new modem.

We do this once a year when all the new deals come out even tho we are on 24month plans all the time. You just got ask them for example why your $100 plan is now $60 for a new customer. As things always turn out for us.

model numbers?

edit: I don't know much about networking so telling me d/u/r/p or 802.11 or 2.4ghz doesn't help. Just give me a model number that has CABLE input with wire and wireless outputs! cheaper, better, haha thanks

Edited by Fight Game

Motorola makes them.

I dont know the model.

Phone up your isp and ask for a new modem!

Edited by Bigball1

ive never rented one from them. I'll bet they don't have this "all in one" type any way, and I'll still need a router. I want my pc connected with a wire.

Call your isp don't buy.

Also you would need to find out what your isp offers cos I have no idea what modems they have

ive never rented one from them. I'll bet they don't have this "all in one" type any way, and I'll still need a router. I want my pc connected with a wire.

WOW. dont call then, dont know unless you ask.

The one I'm running is a motorola SBG 6580. Supposedly pretty good

I know here in Nova Scotia you rent them from the isp company only $5 a month for the wireless, of course it's wired also and if it screws up they give you a new one, beats buying imho.:biggrin:

I know here in Nova Scotia you rent them from the isp company only $5 a month for the wireless, of course it's wired also and if it screws up they give you a new one, beats buying imho.:biggrin:

Well times have changed. I looked into it, and eastlink has become a [email protected]&%. They give you the router free when you get internet (all-in-one-unit). But if you want wifi you have to pay $5 a month. Thats $60 a year. Dont tell anybody but you can get your own router for under $60. Plus have full control over it.

The one I'm running is a motorola SBG 6580. Supposedly pretty good

Thats the one i was talking about :thumbsup:

My experience with all-in-one cable/wireless modems/routers has been less that spectacular. Specifically I wasn't all that impressed with the SBG 6580. Wireless transfer speeds weren't very good, functional but not good enough to manage high bandwidth network traffic. Range (at least in my multi-story home) was horrible. If at all possible (even if you don't want to) I'd highly recommend a cable modem and stand alone wireless router.

Here in the states I think I paid right around $140USD for the SBG 6580. You can easily buy a stand alone cable modem and stand alone wireless router for near the same price and get better performance if you choose the right ones. Guess I'll go against the grain here, I don't rent my modem from my ISP. I hate renting hardware. The only drawback I can see is if the modem went out or got fried due to lightening or something and I had to buy a new one. But still I prefer that over "leasing" one from my ISP. At least then you have a little choice in the matter.